2017 WHL Playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

BurnEmUp

Feb 27, 2009
I didn't realize you were such a big 'Canes fan. Are you from Lethbridge? Growing up here I was a fan, but not since the mid-90s. I always look forward to the 'Canes being eliminated so I can stop hearing about them :laugh:

But also do you happen to know a place where you can get decent priced 'Canes jerseys? My 6 year old nephew is a pretty big fan

Grew up just outside of Lethbridge, and I've followed the Canes from a young age.

Live a couple hours away now so I follow them from a distance, and there hasn't been much to cheer for in a while.

Anholt has done a good job though, as well as Kisio so it's nice to follow a competitive team the last couple years.

Not sure where you can snag a jersey, sorry. Bought my son (also 6) a Tigers jersey a few weeks back, right at the Canalta center so I imagine you can get them at the Enmax center as well.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Stankowski is the series MVP, just for the simple fact dealing with the ******** penalty calls

Agreed... If Seattle wins this series, i guarentee he will be considered the MVP... Kelowna is averaging 7 PPs per game in this series so far(35 PPs in 5 games :shakehead so far)

Hes been the main reason for seattles wins

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Another 3 PPs for Kelowna in the 1st including a 5 min major....

This is outta control. Sorry for continually posting this but its insane. Im just in awe.

Just wanna see a fair series but its really looking like there is a agenda to make sure they are in league finals

dmortens

Jan 5, 2014
Kelowna
Another 3 PPs for Kelowna in the 1st including a 5 min major....

This is outta control. Sorry for continually posting this but its insane. Im just in awe.

Just wanna see a fair series but its really looking like there is a agenda to make sure they are in league finals

Two full 2 min 5 on 3 for Seattle? Clearly someone from the Thunderbirds organization has influence on the WHL front office! I kid obviously, but do you really think that Kolesar hit wasn't deserving of a major? Wouldn't be surprised to see a suspension, especially cause Stephens did not return.

Rockets deserved what they got tonight, honestly a terrible, unfocused game. 10 shots at the midway point of the 3rd period, not a single one the aforementioned 5 min power play. Seattle would have won with a shooter tutor in net, never mind the series MVP.

BurnEmUp

Feb 27, 2009
Damn that one hurt.

Canes came out flying and took a quick 3-0 lead and the place was going nuts. But just like that it was 3-2 and the game was barely 10 minutes old.

About half way thru the 2nd with the score 4-2 Canes, the Pats just took over. Wave after wave and the Canes had no answer.

Was a good run and a fun year, but the Pats showed why they were the #1 team this season.

SpoolCat

Mar 1, 2016
Well after the 3 to 0 start, I won't lie the finish of the Canes vs. Pats was a disappointment. Still happy and proud of what the Canes accomplished. This team displayed resilience and determination from the very beginning of the season, when they had such a bad start, to the very end when had a lead on the number 1 team in the country.

Tyler Wong deserves all the praise he has been given. From sticking it out through a couple of horrible seasons to being one of the best players in the league. Then becoming a great captain and a pillar in the community. It's a pity he couldn't have score against the Pats, and I'm sure both penalty shots will play themselves over in his mind, but he still has lots to be proud of. His influence will be felt for many years on the Hurricanes through guys like Jordy Bellerive, Jayden Joseph and Dylan Cozens which will create a more stable organization than the one we've seen before.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Any predictions for the final?

Id really like to see Ethan Bear playing for Seattle in these finals. He broke his hand yet the last 2 games he has tried playing. He took warm ups but couldn't play(must be seeing if playing with a playing cast was comfortable or not). Also Kolesar got a game misconduct last game and some people fear he could be suspended. If those 2 miss any games at all, I will predict Regina in 6.

I just hope both teams have all their guys playing cause it will be a damn entertaining series.

Seattle will need both players back in order to win this series. Either way I see it going 6 or 7 games. Defensively Seattle has been unreal so their defensive game will have to be even hotter than usual cause offensively they may take a massive blow without Kolesar and Bear.

Without Kolesar and Bear - Regina in 6
Without just Bear - Seattle in 7
With Kolesar and Bear - Seattle in 6

......but then again Seattle has played majority of the season missing 2 or 3 of their star players at a time all season so who really knows.... they may prove people wrong yet again.

Also we are seeing a star in the making with 16 year old Carl Stankowski in net for Seattle

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I'm happy to see my hometown Pats get to the final. I watched a lot of it on TV. I just came in here to say wow, does Lethbridge ever love this Tyler Wong kid. It was a pretty emotional moment after that game when they gave him 1st star (despite his play in this actual game not warranting first star, and not saying I have a problem with that at all) and the standing ovation on his last shift.

I knew nothing about him before last night but it looks like this kid gave everything to that team over 5 seasons. I don't recall any Regina player ever being this beloved. Junior hockey aficionados, is this love affair pretty exceptional, or does every junior city have a guy like this every couple of years?

BurnEmUp

Feb 27, 2009
I'm happy to see my hometown Pats get to the final. I watched a lot of it on TV. I just came in here to say wow, does Lethbridge ever love this Tyler Wong kid. It was a pretty emotional moment after that game when they gave him 1st star (despite his play in this actual game not warranting first star, and not saying I have a problem with that at all) and the standing ovation on his last shift.

I knew nothing about him before last night but it looks like this kid gave everything to that team over 5 seasons. I don't recall any Regina player ever being this beloved. Junior hockey aficionados, is this love affair pretty exceptional, or does every junior city have a guy like this every couple of years?

Just a great kid overall, and as a hockey player he just leaves it all out there every night. Plus he gave 5 years to the organization and city at a time when they were trying to crawl out of the perennial gutter they were in, and led them back to actually being a decent franchise again. This is a time in Hurricanes hockey where players were constantly asking to be dealt and wouldn't report to them.

Also, the 3 stars thing is just a tip of the cap. The other two were Alfaro, an overager who hadn't played since the Rebels series, and Zborosky..another overager.

Tigers did the saem thing after they were eliminated by the Canes in game 7. IIRC the starts were Kirichenko, Owre and Butcher.

dmortens

Jan 5, 2014
Kelowna
I think it'll be Seattle in 6, even without Bear and Kolesar. They already proved they can win without Bear and it doesn't look like he will be available. He could barely take a wristshot (no follow through) in the warmups he took in game 6 vs. Kelowna, but if it goes back to Regina for games 6/7 he might draw in. Kolesar will at most miss 2 games I'd guess. I think the 2-3-2 schedule really favours Seattle as well and I wouldn't be surprised to see them take all 3 at home and win the series in 5 either. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I think the west was just better this year. Doesn't mean the Pats are bad, but I would have taken both Seattle or Kelowna to beat them.

As far as the match up, what the Thunderbirds lack on possession at even strength they make up for on special teams and by being incredibly opportunistic. It seemed like more often than not they had at least 1:30 of zone time on a 2:00 powerplay against Kelowna. The penalty kill is really aggressive and had a lot of success (especially late in the series) against Kelowna, so I don't think it will be much different vs Regina. I do think Regina's speed, especially a guy like Austin Wagner, is going to wreak havoc against the big Seattle defenders, who might not be as mobile as other teams.

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
Any predictions for the final?

I have zero clue at this point, we are missing our 2nd best player on the ice and went 2-0 in the last 2. What I do know is without our rookie goalie, The Rockets would have rail roaded us, we didn't play well, gave up a ton of turnovers, had a ton of penalties called on us, and Stankowski has been playing lights out.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I think it'll be Seattle in 6, even without Bear and Kolesar. They already proved they can win without Bear and it doesn't look like he will be available. He could barely take a wristshot (no follow through) in the warmups he took in game 6 vs. Kelowna, but if it goes back to Regina for games 6/7 he might draw in. Kolesar will at most miss 2 games I'd guess. I think the 2-3-2 schedule really favours Seattle as well and I wouldn't be surprised to see them take all 3 at home and win the series in 5 either. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I think the west was just better this year. Doesn't mean the Pats are bad, but I would have taken both Seattle or Kelowna to beat them.

As far as the match up, what the Thunderbirds lack on possession at even strength they make up for on special teams and by being incredibly opportunistic. It seemed like more often than not they had at least 1:30 of zone time on a 2:00 powerplay against Kelowna. The penalty kill is really aggressive and had a lot of success (especially late in the series) against Kelowna, so I don't think it will be much different vs Regina. I do think Regina's speed, especially a guy like Austin Wagner, is going to wreak havoc against the big Seattle defenders, who might not be as mobile as other teams.

I agree with this too... Ive always thought the 2-3-2 is always a perfect schedule for the team getting those middle 3 at home. All Seattle needs to do is make sure they get a split in those first 2 games. And really after almost a week off for both teams, itll most likely be a crapshoot in that game 1 due to not playing and nerves for that week, so getting a split is very doable

Dust

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
Hard to predict this series since these teams only played once in the regular season (Regina won 6-3). I'm a bit biased and I will say Regina in 6. They have been tested these past 2 series and got better as both went along and they are finally mostly healthy now with Adam Brooks playing extremely well.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Kolesar of Seattle has been suspended for game 1 of the finals. It's really too bad he will be out. Would be nice to have him and Bear playing just cause having both teams with a full lineup would make for a very entertaining series.

Oh well, they've played majority of the season always missing one or more of their top players at all times and continue playing well so it's not like they aren't used to the adversity

Dust

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
I have a feeling Ottenbreit is going to get a suspension. Took out Brooks with a hit that was a bit late and to a defenseless player. I don't think it was to the head, but a dangerous hit. No penalty called on the play, deserved something.

Last edited:

dmortens

Jan 5, 2014
Kelowna
I have a feeling Ottenbreit is going to get a suspension. Took out Brooks with a hit that was a bit late and to a defenseless player. I don't think it was to the head, but a dangerous hit.

Maybe a bit late, it was borderline. Don't know how Brooks is going down the middle of the ice so unaware like that, but he got caught for it. Wouldn't be surprised to see a suspension either, not that I totally agree with it.

Dust

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
Looks like Seattle wins game 1 in overtime, that's pretty big considering they are doing 2-3-2 this series.

I still am not happy with that sequence that knocked Brooks out of the game. Instead of Regina being on the powerplay they are skating 4on4 and then the penalty makes it a 4on3 for Seattle. Too much open ice for a bomb from Bear. I guess Regina got a 4on3 later in the game they scored on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad