WC: 2017 whc Cologne/Paris. Tickets, accommodation etc

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Love the excuse Paris is giving for no fan zone. But reports are cologne is have a larger one then normal.
Wish Paris would be honest over the fact they never intended to have one due to a lack of space. Skoda can not be happy about this

Lepardi

Jan 1, 2008
Finland
I don't think anyone should be surprised or concerned if a 14,000-15,000 seat arena is half empty (or worse) for Slovenia vs. Norway on a Tuesday afternoon.

7,000 people for Slovenia-Norway would be absolutely amazing. Not gonna happen. Finland's games against Sweden and Russia in the World Cup in Toronto didn't draw much more than that.

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
You probably used the Deutsche Bahn website? The direct trains you can't buy tickets for online are Regional Express trains. You can certainly get those tickets at the airport station. You're basically buying the same kind of ticket that you use for buses, trams and S-bahn when travelling inside of Cologne. You just pay more, cause you need a 5-zone ticket. It costs 11,40€. You can find the Cologne public transport guide here by clicking on "everything at a glance":
http://www.kvb-koeln.de/german/tarif/eng.html

I found out the price by doing a search on this Cologne trip planner:

Startort: Dusseldorf flughafen (fernbf)
Zielort: Köln hbf

Jeb99 listen to this guy ^

Don't stress.
Terminal C has some S-Bahn, but it's easier to get on the sky train thing (free) and go to the "Dusseldorf flughafen" train station. There are signs and announcements in English.
You walk in and there will be some red machines with touch screens. You can set it to English by clicking on a Union Jack flag ;)
Enter your Destination, then select the train (it may give like 3 options).
Note the train you're looking for (like "S11" or "REwhatever")
Pay.
Look on the digital board which platform it comes on.
Go to platform.
Get on Train.

Trains won't be sold out. Even in a bad case you can stand in the aisles and doorways of the train. You'll make it super easily, and if in doubt ask someone if they speak English and which train goes to Cologne.

Lepardi

Jan 1, 2008
Finland
Jeb99 listen to this guy ^

I have to make one correction. I told Jeb that if there are more than two of them, buying a five-zone day ticket for five people would be a good idea, cause you can also use the same ticket for public transport inside of Cologne when travelling to Lanxess Arena and back. Turns out you don't need a ticket for that, cause the match ticket will cover public transport to the game and back:

But still, buying the group ticket might be a good idea, and if there are at least four of them travelling together, they would definitely save some money by doing so.

Highlander23

Mar 26, 2011
France
Now I am amused

looks like the IIHF was caught off guard that there would be no fan zone in Paris

i'm from France, and let me tell you that IIHF should be happy if they got full arenas in Paris. We have got the election right now, and hardly anyone is aware there is a hockey WC !!

This is NOT a hockey country :help:

oooooooooohCanada

Jan 14, 2017
Anyone familiar with the Paris venue want to give me an idea of where the best seats would be? Also any scalping sites? Or any place to buy tickets at a lower price? Is there public transit to the arena?

b0rn2beWild

Dec 8, 2011
Any bar or place to watch ice-hockey near München hauptbahnhof (central railway station)? There seems to be only soccer channel bars around.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Hello here, any tips by french posters here for cheap accommodation in Paris? Hostels, locations? Thx

should have booked a few months ago

I got a cheap place just outside of Paris--but relatively close to the arena--about 1/2 walk or so-for cheap prices there is an imaginary line that causes hotel prices to go down by a 1/3rd because they are not listed as "paris hotels"

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Anyone familiar with the Paris venue want to give me an idea of where the best seats would be? Also any scalping sites? Or any place to buy tickets at a lower price? Is there public transit to the arena?

Yes. The Bercy Metro station is right across Rue de Bercy from AccorHotels Arena. The station is served by Line 6 and Line 14 of the Metro. Gare de Bercy is also nearby, but that's served by SNCF (intercity trains and some local service). There's a good map at https://goo.gl/maps/uPS9Do3FqKy. There's another Metro station, Cour Saint-Émilion at the southeastern end of Parc de Bercy, but it's only served by Line 14. Gare de Lyon is about a 17 minute walk along Rue de Bercy and its served by RER A, RER D, SNCF's TGV service, and Metro Lines 1 and 14.

Hope that's somewhat helpful!

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Just go me some tickets for Russia-Latvia on the cheap. Glad I'll get to take in a bit of the World Cup atmosphere again. :) Living 10km from the arena, I really should be able to do that with or without tickets, though. :laugh:

Jeb99

Apr 26, 2014
Jönköping
Not impressed with how these games are not fan friendly like others

I'm a bit surprised how long we had to wait to get inside before the game. We missed the first 5 minutes because of that. They only had one entrance open. This was before sweden Russia in Cologne.

And no beer at the venue in Paris. Lol seriously??

JaSa

Sep 3, 2013
Espoo
And no beer at the venue in Paris. Lol seriously??

Yeah, just non-alhocolic available. And I made interesting notion while I was in Czech - Canada game. They didn't sell food during the second intermission. Don't know why.

AussieDave27

Aug 4, 2014
How was the atmosphere at the games? I watched USA vs Germany on the tele and the crowd looked like it was really getting into it.

No beer at Paris sounds crazy though...

JaSa

Sep 3, 2013
Espoo
How was the atmosphere at the games?

Have to give some credit to Czech fans, they really took the Arena yesterday. Although I'm slightly surprised about the attendance, only 8800+ spectators in that game which is about 2/3 of Arena capacity. Somehow the Arena felt more like concert hall than hockey arena to me :D.

Not about the atmosphere at the game but the event in whole. After one game it felt bit dull. I know that hosts are concerned about the security and it's strict. With strict security you might have to make changes to the concept but it doesn't meen that you couldn't make up with something else.

Oh and one thing, if you're going to buy a ticket to the seats behind the net, try to buy it high enough. I had a ticket to row 21 which is 11th row from bottom and I had like zero visibility to the goal or anything else behind the goal line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad