WC: 2017 whc Cologne/Paris. Tickets, accommodation etc

linusandvarlamov

GO AVS GO !
Apr 2, 2014
Paris, France
Paris has absolutely ZERO hockey culture. People don't give a **** about hockey here :laugh:. It's been truly terrible for me (because I grew up in the US going to Avalanche games and hockey is religion for me :laugh:).

So I was extremely surprised when I learned that Paris would be hosting part of the world championships. Never in my wildest dreams did I think they would ever pick Paris as a city for this kind of huge hockey event.

I'm beyond stoked !! I've already got 5 tickets (all the games have either Canada or Finland in them :D) and I may get a couple more.

I'm hoping to see some of my favorite Avalanche players : Rantanen ; maybe Mackinnon and Duchene (but I've heard from some that they probably won't be there). Getting to see Laine and Aho is going to make me go absolutely nuts on game day :laugh:.

Really looking forward to it !

EDIT: France last hosted these Championships in 1951 :laugh:. Kind of elaborates on my initial point: most of France doesn't even know hockey exists :laugh:.

Last edited:

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
I love Köln.. had the pleasure of being there during Karneval once. Definitely a funner place than Paris :)

Karneval sure is something... I gave up trying to explain to anyone. You have to experience it to know it.

This is a great post man. Used to live in Köln for 9 months and you covered pretty much everything. I was shocked at how great the hockey culture is here (as a Canadian). Kölner Haie games are louder and just as full as some of the Flames games I've been to in my life.

I would definitely recommending visiting Cologne if people are hesitant or on the fence about it... amazing party place and fantastic people.

I just read a bunch of the questions then tried to make a wikitravel style guide.
Yes the city is really chill and normally everyone is friendly. Not your typical German stereotypes. People here like to have a good time and spend a little bit of money too (cafe, restaurant, beer, entertainment). I would encourage any fan to come. If you're on a budget stay @ a hostel or do some couch surfing!

Belizarius

Sep 17, 2003
Southern France
www.passionhockey.com
Paris has absolutely ZERO hockey culture. People don't give a **** about hockey here :laugh:. It's been truly terrible for me (because I grew up in the US going to Avalanche games and hockey is religion for me :laugh:).

So I was extremely surprised when I learned that Paris would be hosting part of the world championships. Never in my wildest dreams did I think they would ever pick Paris as a city for this kind of huge hockey event.

I'm beyond stoked !! I've already got 5 tickets (all the games have either Canada or Finland in them :D) and I may get a couple more.

I'm hoping to see some of my favorite Avalanche players : Rantanen ; maybe Mackinnon and Duchene (but I've heard from some that they probably won't be there). Getting to see Laine and Aho is going to make me go absolutely nuts on game day :laugh:.

Really looking forward to it !

EDIT: France last hosted these Championships in 1951 :laugh:. Kind of elaborates on my initial point: most of France doesn't even know hockey exists :laugh:.

So true.
Still, they made a lot of events to promote it. They had a rink at the 1st floor of the Eiffel tower and a lot of other animations.
And the mascots are Asterix and Obelix :D

Some events with other sports as well, after the handball world championship for example.
This is a very important tournament for the federation and the growth of hockey in France.

I'll be there of course, and lucky me, IIHF gave me a media accreditation. 4th WC for me in that role :)

linusandvarlamov

GO AVS GO !
Apr 2, 2014
Paris, France
So true.
Still, they made a lot of events to promote it. They had a rink at the 1st floor of the Eiffel tower and a lot of other animations.
And the mascots are Asterix and Obelix :D

Some events with other sports as well, after the handball world championship for example.
This is a very important tournament for the federation and the growth of hockey in France.

I'll be there of course, and lucky me, IIHF gave me a media accreditation. 4th WC for me in that role :)

Congrats on the media accreditation ! ;) Hope you have a great time ! How many games will you be attending ? All of them :D ?

JaSa

Sep 3, 2013
Espoo
Booked the trip to Paris and bought the tickets yesterday. Cannot wait :D. I've been in Paris few times before and I really liked the city. So it's like smashing two flies at the same time and I get chance to use my french skills.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Booked the trip to Paris and bought the tickets yesterday. Cannot wait :D. I've been in Paris few times before and I really liked the city. So it's like smashing two flies at the same time and I get chance to use my french skills.

Can I ask what country you bought the tickets from? The site won't accept my US card.

JaSa

Sep 3, 2013
Espoo
Can I ask what country you bought the tickets from? The site won't accept my US card.

Sure, I bought the tickets via the official tournament website with my Finnish credit card. No problems at all. Although I'm used to buy printable tickets, but there wasn't no other options than mail delivery.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Sure, I bought the tickets via the official tournament website with my Finnish credit card. No problems at all. Although I'm used to buy printable tickets, but there wasn't no other options than mail delivery.

My friends Italian card was also declined. Ugh

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Obvious question and propably not the problem, but do you have somekind of restrictions on your card which might prevent the purchase?

Nope called my bank and had them check. They said that they have no problem but that the merchant declined it

Jeb99

Apr 26, 2014
Jönköping
Has anyone found the exchange tickets site? It's supposed to be launched today but I haven't found it...

"On 5th April, exactly one month prior to the first puck-drop of the 2017 IIHF Ice Hockey World Championship (5-21 May), the official resale platform "2017 IIHF WM Ticket Exchange" goes online. There, owners of package-, day- or single-game tickets may sell tickets, which they might not be able to use. From fan to fan – legal, convenient, safe and at regular prices plus a handling fee."

http://m.iihfworlds2017.com/en/news/official-ticket-exchange/

TorstenFrings

lebenslang gruenweiss
Apr 25, 2012
Bremen
Has anyone found the exchange tickets site? It's supposed to be launched today but I haven't found it...

"On 5th April, exactly one month prior to the first puck-drop of the 2017 IIHF Ice Hockey World Championship (5-21 May), the official resale platform "2017 IIHF WM Ticket Exchange" goes online. There, owners of package-, day- or single-game tickets may sell tickets, which they might not be able to use. From fan to fan – legal, convenient, safe and at regular prices plus a handling fee."

http://m.iihfworlds2017.com/en/news/official-ticket-exchange/

https://tickets.iihfworlds2017.com/resale/

doug88

May 13, 2011
Geneva, Switzerland
Only good thing about this thing being partially held in Paris is that Switzerland's games will most likely all be full. It's as if it was held in Switzerland, expect a lot of Swiss fans to make the short trip.

Malcolm

Apr 6, 2016
Nope called my bank and had them check. They said that they have no problem but that the merchant declined it

I had the same problem last year buying tickets for the Russian tournament with a North American credit card. I had to contact the official ticket company to 'unlock' my credit card. Try this route. It is the same company this year.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
I had the same problem last year buying tickets for the Russian tournament with a North American credit card. I had to contact the official ticket company to 'unlock' my credit card. Try this route. It is the same company this year.

Hmmm what did you do? Email them?

I also couldn't buy last year. Just bought at the kiosk when I got there

Malcolm

Apr 6, 2016
Hmmm what did you do? Email them?

I also couldn't buy last year. Just bought at the kiosk when I got there

I called the company parter.ru and spoke with them about my situation. I speak Russian and they explained at first I would have to get a European Credit Card. Not easy to do. So I contacted the IIHF and explained the situation. They contacted the company and had my cards unlocked. So it was quite the ordeal. I was travelling with 4 other people including kids so I could not take the chance of buying at the kiosk.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
I called the company parter.ru and spoke with them about my situation. I speak Russian and they explained at first I would have to get a European Credit Card. Not easy to do. So I contacted the IIHF and explained the situation. They contacted the company and had my cards unlocked. So it was quite the ordeal. I was travelling with 4 other people including kids so I could not take the chance of buying at the kiosk.

Well I speak German but that sounds like a lot of work HAHA

Thanks for the info though. I appreciate it

Lepardi

Jan 1, 2008
Finland
if you have not booked your hotels in Paris you maybe screwed

Why would you be screwed? It wasn't hard to book hotel rooms in Paris at a reasonable price on a very short notice even during the Euros last summer. And the IIHF worlds is a minor event compared to that. It was different in smaller cities like Lille, Lens and Saint-Étienne . The hotel prices there were through the roof on game days (if you could find any free rooms), but Paris is so big that finding accommodation wasn't hard at all even during the Euros. It certainly won't be difficult this May.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Why would you be screwed? It wasn't hard to book hotel rooms in Paris at a reasonable price on a very short notice even during the Euros last summer. And the IIHF worlds is a minor event compared to that. It was different in smaller cities like Lille, Lens and Saint-Étienne . The hotel prices there were through the roof on game days (if you could find any free rooms), but Paris is so big that finding accommodation wasn't hard at all even during the Euros. It certainly won't be difficult this May.

I booked mine about two weeks ago. Selection was much more limited than when I was there in February but still found a nice room for 80€

EchoesoftheEighties

HF Oil's Unofficial Shitposter
Jan 30, 2006
Edmonton
Would anyone know the best way to purchase a single or a pair in Cologne opening day? Basically it ended up working out that I will be in Cologne for the first day of the tourney and would love to go to even one of the games. PM me if you have anything or know what I should do :)

Thanks guys this thread has been really helpful

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad