WC: 2017 whc Cologne/Paris. Tickets, accommodation etc

palsoft

Apr 11, 2004
Bratislava
www.hockey-live.sk
Would anyone know the best way to purchase a single or a pair in Cologne opening day? Basically it ended up working out that I will be in Cologne for the first day of the tourney and would love to go to even one of the games. PM me if you have anything or know what I should do :)

Thanks guys this thread has been really helpful

https://resale-cologne.iihfworlds20...Date&orderAsc=true&maxResults=25#searchHeader

There you go. Sorted by event date for you :D

Jeb99

Apr 26, 2014
Jönköping
I have a question regarding transportation from Dusseldorf to Cologne. We will arrive Fri 5th to the airport in dusseldorf and I wonder how to get to cologne hbf the easiest way. I searched the site and found what I think was two types of connections. One train direct from the airport to cologne. No prices were shown so I wonder if these types are already sold out?

Another type was the s-bahn wich required a stop and change train at dusseldorf hbf.

Is it possible to buy tickets on board or are there any other convenient way? Online or machine?

Phaneufed

We The North
Dec 24, 2006
Calgary
I have a question regarding transportation from Dusseldorf to Cologne. We will arrive Fri 5th to the airport in dusseldorf and I wonder how to get to cologne hbf the easiest way. I searched the site and found what I think was two types of connections. One train direct from the airport to cologne. No prices were shown so I wonder if these types are already sold out?

Another type was the s-bahn wich required a stop and change train at dusseldorf hbf.

Is it possible to buy tickets on board or are there any other convenient way? Online or machine?

IIRC you can buy tickets right from Dusseldorf airport for a train straight to Köln HBF, there will be train going directly there. I'm pretty sure Dusseldorf Hbf comes AFTER the airport anyways so i dont think you would be having to get off there anyways?

Lepardi

Jan 1, 2008
Finland

You probably used the Deutsche Bahn website? The direct trains you can't buy tickets for online are Regional Express trains. You can certainly get those tickets at the airport station. You're basically buying the same kind of ticket that you use for buses, trams and S-bahn when travelling inside of Cologne. You just pay more, cause you need a 5-zone ticket. It costs 11,40€. You can find the Cologne public transport guide here by clicking on "everything at a glance":
http://www.kvb-koeln.de/german/tarif/eng.html

I found out the price by doing a search on this Cologne trip planner:
http://www.kvb-koeln.de/german/tarif/eng.html

Startort: Dusseldorf flughafen (fernbf)
Zielort: Köln hbf

Last edited:

Lepardi

Jan 1, 2008
Finland

I did some more googling and I found out that actually you can buy those tickets online here:

www.vrs-ticketshop.de/en/home/

You can buy a 5-zone day ticket (TagesTicket) for five feople for 36,40€. That ticket is good for 5 people for any direct Regional Express train (of which there are plenty) from the airport to Cologne. And if you want to use the tram or the S-bahn to get to the Sweden-Russia game and back, the same ticket will cover that too. Even if there are just three of you, it's a great purchase. If you're unable to use the online shop, buying the day ticket at the airport would be a wise move.

Last edited:

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
Due to security situation in Paris there will be no fanzone at this years WHC.

Fanzone is represented on every World Hockey Championships... It is place usually near the arena, where the fans are entertained and watch games together when they can't be in the arena. There's usually a lot of shops, promotion materials, ads, official IIHF shop, restaurants etc.

Organizators are afraid of people's safety so there will be no such place on this years WHC. Too bad, but it is absolutely understandable given the fact that there is a state of emergency in France and a lot of security threats.

AussieDave27

Aug 4, 2014
Disappointing to hear that. I am going to the Bronze and Gold medal games in Cologne, and maybe a semi-final. I hope there is a fan zone there...

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Due to security situation in Paris there will be no fanzone at this years WHC.

Fanzone is represented on every World Hockey Championships... It is place usually near the arena, where the fans are entertained and watch games together when they can't be in the arena. There's usually a lot of shops, promotion materials, ads, official IIHF shop, restaurants etc.

Organizators are afraid of people's safety so there will be no such place on this years WHC. Too bad, but it is absolutely understandable given the fact that there is a state of emergency in France and a lot of security threats.

If the Russians can pull off a fan zone the French should be able to.

CapsNZ

Apr 28, 2017
Are the team practices likely to be open to the public? Would love to head down and watch before games.

Also, any way to tell which bench is which when buying tickets? I've got a ticket behind the bench of what I believe is the away bench for the Belarus-Canada game, so I'm hoping I'm behind the Canadian bench rather than the Belarusian bench - not quite sure though.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
That's different then

I was in Paris about 2 weeks ago and walked around the outside of the arena and asked where the fan zone was going to be and the manager I talked to said that they may have a beer garden and that is it.

sounds like French organizers are going to take a hit financially because presales have not been the best

linusandvarlamov

GO AVS GO !
Apr 2, 2014
Paris, France
talked to buddy who is working at the cologne games--sounds like there will be lots of empty seats at the paris games

Doesn't surprise me. The french don't know what they're missing out on. I haven't seen any advertisements on the subject anywhere.

And I don't even think it'll pass on the news (once the tournament is under way).

ForumNamePending

Mar 31, 2012
I dunno... You can check ticket availability for each game and things in Paris look pretty typical for a WC. Some games are nearly/completely sold out and others look to be only ~50% sold. I don't think anyone should be surprised or concerned if a 14,000-15,000 seat arena is half empty (or worse) for Slovenia vs. Norway on a Tuesday afternoon.

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
I dunno... You can check ticket availability for each game and things in Paris look pretty typical for a WC. Some games are nearly/completely sold out and others look to be only ~50% sold. I don't think anyone should be surprised or concerned if a 14,000-15,000 seat arena is half empty (or worse) for Slovenia vs. Norway on a Tuesday afternoon.

Yup. I still think that a new attendance record for the World Championship is not out of the question.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad