2017 THN future watch

Flynn84

Apr 27, 2006
Rykov is a top 10 devils prospect but who really cared about him pre wjc?
He was actually pretty good as an overager year ago at the world juniors. And than he made the roster of the strongest team in the KHL history. KHL team with the NHL level roster. So I was expecting the strong perfomance from him.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
What has sergachev or PLD done to be that high????

Kapanen at the rate he is scoring in the AHL and his age I would put him in Sergachev's spot.

We all know the answer. They got drafted high.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
What date is this on shelves this year?

The last three years, the online version was released at the end of the first week in March. Although THN's been a little quiet about it this year. Usually you'd see some of their writers dropping some hints about guys who fell/rose.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

THN still oddly quiet about the Future Watch issue, but Brian Costello did tweet this about Erik Cernak (#7 on the Kings' list last year) this morning. So it seems like they're on track for it being released in a week or so.

luki here

Jan 30, 2011
Vienna
Sheshtyorkin was my #1 for the Rangers but there doesn't seem to be as much excitement for him as Samsonov and Sorokin.
Gusev is tearing up the KHL and should be in the NHL next year. Scherbak and Svechnikov are first round picks starting to pick up in the AHL. Rykov is a top 10 devils prospect but who really cared about him pre wjc?

Shestyorkin is definetly on my radar. Better than Sorokin this year and still being under-utilised by his Coach. I am sure he will take over in the playoffs.

Thing is you cant forget that Sorokin had better stats last year than shestyorkin is having this year. That is probably one of the reason sorokin is still considered a better prospect by some. Personally i would give the slight edge to Shestyorkin,

Samsonov looks good. Hard to compare stats when he is playing on a worse team than the other two.

edit: why would bellows be higher than sorokin or pulock? He is not having a good year while the other two are doing fine.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Looking forward to this. The Hockey news has gone downhill in quality over the past few yrs. but that issue was 1 I always liked to get.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
It usually takes THN a while to collect all the scouting opinions, so the rankings tend to be conservative and slightly outdated.

But I'll be curious to see where they rank recent risers like Steel, Kaprizov, Frederic.

daa5250

May 3, 2016
Philly
Future watch should be out in a month or so I thought I'd predict who their top 75 prospects will be.

1. Jesse Puljujarvi (edm)
2. Thomas Chabot (ott)
3. Dylan Strome (ari)
4. Clayton Keller (ari)
5. Alex Nylander (buf)
6. Mathew Barzal (nyi)
7. Colin White (ott)
8. Mikhail Sergachev (mtl)
9. Pierre-Luc Dubois (cbj)
10. Kyle Connor (wpg)
11. Charlie McAvoy (bos)
12. Tyson Jost (col)
13. Olli Juolevi (van)
14. Joel Eriksson Ek (min)
15. Brock Boeser (van)
16. Kirill Kaprizov (min)
17. Jacob Larsson (ana)
18. Timo Meier (sjs)
19. Julius Honka (dal)
20. Ilya Samsonov (wsh)
21. Jakub Vrana (wsh)
22. Travis Sanheim (phi)
23. Luke Kunin (min)
24. Philippe Myers (phi)
25. Julien Gauthier (car)
26. Kasperi Kapanen (tor)
27. Anthony DeAngelo (ari)
28. Nick Schmaltz (chi)
29. Mitchell Stephens (tbl)
30. Brendan Perlini (ari)
31. Thatcher Demko (van)
32. Kieffer Bellows (nyi)
33. Jack Roslovic (wpg)
34. Shea Theodore (ana)
35. Logan Brown (ott)
36. Jake Bean (car)
37. Oliver Kylington (cgy)
38. Oliver Bjorkstrand (cbj)
39. Juuse Saros (nsh)
40. Noah Juulsen (mtl)
41. Vladislav Kamenev (nsh)
42. John Quenneville (njd)
43. Brandon Montour (ana)
44. Sonny Milano (cbj)
45. Denis Gurianov (dal)
46. Michael McLeod (njd)
47. Jake Guentzel (pit)
48. Dante Fabbro (nsh)
49. Taylor Raddysh (tbl)
50. Blake Speers (njd)
51. Haydn Fleury (car)
52. Ryan Pulock (nyi)
53. Gustav Forsling (chi)
54. Ilya Sorokin (nyi)
55. Sam Steel (ana)
56. Anthony Cirelli (tbl)
57. Alex DeBrincat (chi)
58. Max Jones (ana)
59. Alex Tuch (min)
60. Daniel Sprong (pit)
61. Kyle Wood (ari)
62. Brendan Leipsic (tor)
63. Nicolas Roy (car)
64. Jon Gillies (cgy)
65. Jordan Greenway (min)
66. Christian Fischer (ari)
67. Andrew Nielsen (tor)
68. Nikita Scherbak (mtl)
69. Evgeni Svechnikov (det)
70. Mathieu Joseph (tbl)
71. Tage Thompson (stl)
72. Danton Heinen (bos)
73. Brendan Guhle (buf)
74. Nikita Gusev (tbl)
75. Troy Terry (ana)

If Lindblom isnt in their top 75 then i'll eat my hat. Kid is killing it in the SHL as one of the best players yet still doesnt get a ton of respect. 43 pts in 47 gms right now as a 20 yr old.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

In recent years, they did the top 75. Not sure if this is confirmation they'll be expanding the list to 100 this time.

wedge

Oct 4, 2004
victoriaville
Looking forward to this. The Hockey news has gone downhill in quality over the past few yrs. but that issue was 1 I always liked to get.

in the last years of hockey's future, I thought Future Watch had become better. 5+ years ago, Future Watch was awful in comparison to hockey's future.

The draft issue is another one I like a lot.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I loved Keller as a prospect prior to the draft. Glad to see how high regard he is held now.

I still don't get the Alex Nylander love, but my guess is that scouts aren't heavily watching the AHL (as there is no reason for amateur scouts to really watch that league except for very rare exceptions) and are heavily weighing his WJC.

I have no idea how Arizona's under 21 guys are held in higher regard than the Leafs though. I mean, they have great depth, but Leafs have two guys who are on pace for around 70 points and another around a 55 point pace.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I still don't get the Alex Nylander love, but my guess is that scouts aren't heavily watching the AHL (as there is no reason for amateur scouts to really watch that league except for very rare exceptions) and are heavily weighing his WJC.

THN tends to poll their scouting contacts right after the WJC, so I always feel like there is a bit of recency bias. Prospects who participated in the WJC always seem to get a little higher billing than AHL guys in years past.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
THN tends to poll their scouting contacts right after the WJC, so I always feel like there is a bit of recency bias. Prospects who participated in the WJC always seem to get a little higher billing than AHL guys in years past.
Yeah, last year was strange in that no elite drafted prospect had an amazing WJC (it was headlined by the draft class) so it was less skewed. Provorov probably had the best WJC of big name prospects there that year, but it didn't put him above Strome, W. Nylander, and Marner. It also didn't put a dent in Kyle Connor's stock.

Waiting for it to be put online, granted if it is not up soon, I might just walk to my local Indigo (Canadian equivalent to Barnes and Noble) to pick it up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad