2017 THN future watch

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Guentzel not even being mentioned proves he's still one of the most underrated prospects in the league. Should be in the 15-25 range undoubtedly.
Pretty sure he was removed because he was in the NHL. He's also on the older scale for prospects at 23, whereas most of the list are 21 and under.

Edit: actually he's ranked, at 75.

albertGQ

Jul 1, 2005
Calgary
I just don't understand how Keller can be ranked at number one yet there is no feature article specifically on him as there is for the players ranked 2 and 3. Yes there's an article on the Coyotes but that seems very slanted towards Canadian market in my opinion.

There is a one page article on Keller on the last page

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
There is a one page article on Keller on the last page

Not exactly the feature. If he played for the Leafs would that have happened? The prospects ranked behind Keller received feature articles but THN doesn't feature article the top ranked prospect? Coincidence that the one not covered in a feature is American on a small market American team? No bias at all.

Yep, I'm unapologetically complaining here. If this was a Canadian player there would have been a feature photo covershot and a three page spread on the player as the feature article. It feels like it was inconvenient for THN that a Coyote was named number one.

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
Not exactly the feature. If he played for the Leafs would that have happened? The prospects ranked behind Keller received feature articles but THN doesn't feature article the top ranked prospect? Coincidence that the one not covered in a feature is American on a small market American team? No bias at all.

Yep, I'm unapologetically complaining here. If this was a Canadian player there would have been a feature photo covershot and a three page spread on the player as the feature article. It feels like it was inconvenient for THN that a Coyote was named number one.

Your feeling is right, friendo.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
I was shocked to see Keller at #1. I like him a lot and thought he should have been a top 4 pick in his draft year, but I like more than a few lower ranked players more.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I was shocked to see Keller at #1. I like him a lot and thought he should have been a top 4 pick in his draft year, but I like more than a few lower ranked players more.

It is a blind survey, so it's not like it was a unanimous vote that Keller was #1. Out of the 10 surveys, Keller was #1 on four of them. So the majority didn't have him at #1, but he was consistently high enough on the surveys so he ended up being #1.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I'm not, you must have forgotten how high the hype meter was after the WJC
I mean, I can see why someone can disagree with the choice of Keller at one but there isn't much reason to object to it.

The easiest choice for a consensus probably would have been Puljujarvi, but he struggled at the NHL level to start the year and hasn't really dominated the AHL. It will be interesting to see how he does at the World Championships since Keller will also be there. Don't think A. Nylander will make the cut for Sweden though.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Is the 2018 edition out ?

The last few years it's come out in early March. So keep your eyes peeled, usually one of the THN writers will tweet out a teaser of the cover or a handful of rankings for prospects who were traded at the deadline.

Are there any places to see updated rankings? What happened to hockeysfuture?

HF staff was let go a year (or two?) ago. The message board remained but things like prospect rankings and other articles stopped happening.

Reactions: Ana Crusis

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad