2017 THN future watch

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
They ARE explicitly counting under 21 NHLers in their ranking. They are not counting non-prospects in the calculation of top 100 prospects. But the future rankings are.
Yeah, I really think though they are overrating the number of NHLers you have. I don't know how Arizona can be above Jets, Leafs and Oilers. I mean, I love some of the prospects Arizona has, but their is no guarantee they have have a franchise player in their U-21 pool. Oilers, Jets and Leafs all have 1 (McDavid, Matthews, and Laine), and in the case of Leafs and Oilers probably 2 (Marner and Draisaitl).

GetThePuckOuttaHere*

Feb 23, 2017
Yeah, I really think though they are overrating the number of NHLers you have. I don't know how Arizona can be above Jets, Leafs and Oilers. I mean, I love some of the prospects Arizona has, but their is no guarantee they have have a franchise player in their U-21 pool. Oilers, Jets and Leafs all have 1 (McDavid, Matthews, and Laine), and in the case of Leafs and Oilers probably 2 (Marner and Draisaitl).
+ Scheifele for Jets

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011

I'm a Sabres fan.
Oilers should be #1, because after McDavid, nothing else really matters.
I would have Leafs at 2.
Yotes are firmly at 3 for me. I like the Jets accumulation, but the Coyotes have been prolific. The Jets top guys are better, but the Yotes simply have more. What is remarkable about Arizona is the depth of talent they have accumulated in the past 3+ drafts (and trades).
Under 21:
2013: Domi, DuClair, Dauphin
2014: Perlini, DeAngelo (trade), Dvorak, Wood
2015: Strome, Crouse (trade), Fischer
2016: Keller, Chychrun

And that's just the guys who are SURE bets to be in the NHL soon. There're a bunch of other guys that have at least a shot.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I'm a Sabres fan.
Oilers should be #1, because after McDavid, nothing else really matters.
I would have Leafs at 2.
Yotes are firmly at 3 for me. I like the Jets accumulation, but the Coyotes have been prolific. The Jets top guys are better, but the Yotes simply have more. What is remarkable about Arizona is the depth of talent they have accumulated in the past 3+ drafts (and trades).
Under 21:
2013: Domi, DuClair, Dauphin
2014: Perlini, DeAngelo (trade), Dvorak, Wood
2015: Strome, Crouse (trade), Fischer
2016: Keller, Chychrun

And that's just the guys who are SURE bets to be in the NHL soon. There're a bunch of other guys that have at least a shot.
They do have Jets higher, I messed that one up.

I like their pool, but the other teams look to have clear franchise players. I put heavy weight into the top end. I'd still take the Jets (Laine, Ehlers, Morrisey, Petan, Connor, Roslovic). I'd didn't even think of them at first glance, but I'd put Florida ahead too, having a clear franchise center and a potential franchise D (Ekblad's regressed this year, but still has an elite ceiling). Even the strength of Eichel might push the Sabre's ahead of the Yotes for me considering they also have a good under 21 NHLer (Reinhart), a top 10/15 prospect (A. Nylander) and some other good prospects (Asplund, and Guhle). I'm debating creating a poll in that section, but probably won't because depth won't be looked at and it will most likely devolve into McDavid vs Laine vs Matthews vs Eichel vs Marner than actually create any level of decent discussion.

Edit: I missed this scanning over it, but they do have a section called best 2020 cores where they have Oilers (1st), Leafs (3rd), Winnipeg (5th) and Florida (10th) fairly high.

Last edited:

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Steel at 40 is absurd. Was considering buying this issue. Not anymore.
Poll was probably done in January after he was cut from the WJC. I absolutely wouldn't have Max Jones above Steel, but I don't think having a couple off/against the grain destroys a list.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Poll was probably done in January after he was cut from the WJC. I absolutely wouldn't have Max Jones above Steel, but I don't think having a couple off/against the grain destroys a list.

It seems that the list isn't so much "against the grain" as it is just dated and completely conservative.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
It seems that the list isn't so much "against the grain" as it is just dated and completely conservative.

Definitely an issue with the magazine/newspaper industry.

Another thing is that they poll ten scouts and then compile an aggregate ranking. I think some people get the wrong impression that THN gathered ten scouts, locked them in a room, and had them hash out a list. We as fans perceive the difference between say #25 and #50 as being larger than it might have been.

From the ten scouts polled, Clayton Keller got four votes as the #1 guy. If there's a lack of consensus at the top, one can only imagine how different the lists might get further down the road. Ie, a list like Craig Button's might be par for the course.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I just don't understand how Keller can be ranked at number one yet there is no feature article specifically on him as there is for the players ranked 2 and 3. Yes there's an article on the Coyotes but that seems very slanted towards Canadian market in my opinion.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
DeBrincat is ripping up the OHL and yet he can't crack the top 50. ********!

He's not that far off the top 50. Nobody particularly glaring who was ranked in front of him. Plus as stated before, it's a composite ranking so the difference between #45 and #55 really could be marginal for all we know.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Mike chambers tweeted out that Greer was in the 5th spot, I told him that it was incorrect (he's 2nd in the publication) and he told me that's how it was when he wrote the foreword. So the overall ranks must have been done after that and it overrides the original ranking.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Mike chambers tweeted out that Greer was in the 5th spot, I told him that it was incorrect (he's 2nd in the publication) and he told me that's how it was when he wrote the foreword. So the overall ranks must have been done after that and it overrides the original ranking.

At least in past Future Watch issues, they explained that teams will submit their top 10 lists and THN will conduct its survey. Then they'll adjust the rankings based on the scouts' input. Ie, if Arizona had listed Strome ahead of Keller, THN would make the adjustment if the survey yielded Keller ahead of Strome.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Guentzel not even being mentioned proves he's still one of the most underrated prospects in the league. Should be in the 15-25 range undoubtedly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad