WC: 2017 Team USA

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
I don't see a reason why should the US goaltending and defense be anything different than above-average this year. Schneider will be avilable, and given the olympics he should absolutely go. Carolina has Slavin, Faulk, and Hanifin. I don't see any reasons why wouldn't at least Slavin and Hanifin be going, and Faulk should too given the olympics again. Then there is a couple of solid players like Goligoski, Yandle, Leddy, Trouba, Byfuglien, E.Johnson, or Gostisbehre, J.McBain or J.McCabe. Not sure about the veterans, but Trouba, Gostisbehre and McBain/McCabe should be going. Which would give you

Trouba - Faulk
Gostisbehere - Slavin
Hanifin -
+ maybe someone like Werenski/Jones/I.Cole/Krug/Carlo from the 1st round...

Forwards, I have no doubt that we will be seeing good talent (Keller, Dvorak, Connor) at least, but I don't really know what to think here. Eichel could go, sure. Okposo and Johnson? Why the hell not, but I guess this tournament is attractive to the US players as much as a random low-paid tennis tournament in Mongolia to Rafael Nadal.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
The U.S is now starting to get to the point with depth that even if the very top guys beg off going to this thing, the 2nd tier stars can more then comfortably hold their own out there.

The team should be pretty good this year even with the usual group of guys who will say no.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
Well, it could be a US-Canada final. If Team Canada wins its group, the US needs to finish 1st or 3rd in their group (with Russia, Sweden, Slovakia, Latvia, Germany, Denmanrk, Italy).

Last edited:

Bear12Good

Dec 7, 2015
Russia
Well, it could be a US-Canada final. If Team Canada wins its group, the US needs to finish 1st or 3rd in their group (with Russia, Sweden, Slovakia, Latvia, Germany, Denmanrk, Italy).

To make this happen, the US must build a very strong team with nhl stars.:)

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
That is just a great article.

absolutely is! many of US fans and non US fans have been saying the same damn thing - call these guys out when they no show. and not only call them out when they no show, but hold them accountable for it by simply stating if you turn down offers to represent this country at the WC, don't be surprised if we skip past you come Olympic/World Cup time. Easier said than done as you want all your best players, but are they really your best players when they continually turn your invite down to represent their country?? That's not heart or dedication, so I would rather have a team filled with guys who answered the call as opposed to a team full of guys who only think its an honor to wear that jersey every 4 years.

I also 100% agree with naming a team GM, a NHL GM to run this thing - I cant stand Johnasson period - lets put it in the hands of actual NHL GM's to pick this team and have players answer directly to them when it comes to no showing.

Zero Pucks Given

American Hero
Mar 21, 2015
Southern CA
Obviously it's entirely up to him whether or not he wants to go, but with the Kings now eliminated from playoff contention Jonathan Quick is available.

Bear12Good

Dec 7, 2015
Russia
Optimistic scenario

Bishop,Cory Schneider

Anders Lee-Jack Eichel-Blake Wheeler
Brock Nelson-Tyler Johnson-Kyle Palmieri
Dylan Larkin-Vincent Trocheck-Kyle Okposo
-Derek Ryan-
+ 3-4 players after first round SC like Johnny Gaudreau,
Auston Matthews,Brandon Saad,
Matthew Tkachuk or Chris Kreider, JT Miller

Dustin Byfuglien- Nick Leddy
Keith Yandle-Jacob Trouba
Shayne Gostisbehere-Justin Faulk
Alec Martinez

This roster can be really?

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
Now we can stop speculating that olympic factor would bring some big names this year. Really bad decision from NHL.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Now we can stop speculating that olympic factor would bring some big names this year. Really bad decision from NHL.

It will be interesting to see how bad this team turns into with no higher incentive

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
The impotence of USA Hockey's leadership was on full display with their response to the NHL's decision to forgo the Olympics.

They need to clean house.

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
Everyone should also understand NHL. It sucks but IOC is bigger problem there. Next three olympics are in Asia because they paid biggest price. IOC is hypocrite organization and they think NHL should keep two weeks break without giving them reasonable compensation. Everybody should boycott Olympics if you really think what IOC deserves. NHL is not perfect but not the biggest problem in this case.

CarbonFootprint

Apr 9, 2016
I hope people aren't getting their hopes up about having some top American players for the Worlds. I am a huge USA fan but am also disappointed year after year with American players. They only show up when there is something special in it for them, ie Olympic medal or money (World Cup). They will skip this year as well, they don't care, they are always "too tired" from a long "season". I would love to be proven wrong but don't think I will be.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
I hope people aren't getting their hopes up about having some top American players for the Worlds. I am a huge USA fan but am also disappointed year after year with American players. They only show up when there is something special in it for them, ie Olympic medal or money (World Cup). They will skip this year as well, they don't care, they are always "too tired" from a long "season". I would love to be proven wrong but don't think I will be.

getting your hopes up over prospective rosters is part of the appeal of this tournament.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Everyone should also understand NHL. It sucks but IOC is bigger problem there. Next three olympics are in Asia because they paid biggest price. IOC is hypocrite organization and they think NHL should keep two weeks break without giving them reasonable compensation. Everybody should boycott Olympics if you really think what IOC deserves. NHL is not perfect but not the biggest problem in this case.

The IOC and NHL both just went for a **** measuring contest and go both go to hell.

The IIHF is the only player here who tried to make it work for the fans and who is relatively blameless

PaulieVegas

Apr 29, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
Perhaps there is some hope. This is from an ESPN article this morning about the Olympics decision. Talking about Dylan Larkin:

"Larkin will represent Team USA in the men's World Championships this spring. He has already started texting other American players to try and build a better roster than the Americans have fielded in the past, an effort that could have built momentum into the Olympics.

"Just trying to rally the troops," he said."

Here's the link:

http://www.espn.com/olympics/hockey...pation-games-young-us-players-lose-big-chance

Bear12Good

Dec 7, 2015
Russia
Glad to see Larkin on board. A letdown sophomore year for him, but a great chance to end the year on a positive note.
:):):):)
Optimistic scenario

Bishop,Cory Schneider

Anders Lee-Jack Eichel-Blake Wheeler
Brock Nelson-Tyler Johnson-Kyle Palmieri
Dylan Larkin-Vincent Trocheck-Kyle Okposo
-Derek Ryan-
+ 3-4 players after first round SC like Johnny Gaudreau,
Auston Matthews,Brandon Saad,
Matthew Tkachuk or Chris Kreider, JT Miller

Dustin Byfuglien- Nick Leddy
Keith Yandle-Jacob Trouba
Shayne Gostisbehere-Justin Faulk
Alec Martinez

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Perhaps there is some hope. This is from an ESPN article this morning about the Olympics decision. Talking about Dylan Larkin:

"Larkin will represent Team USA in the men's World Championships this spring. He has already started texting other American players to try and build a better roster than the Americans have fielded in the past, an effort that could have built momentum into the Olympics.

"Just trying to rally the troops," he said."

Here's the link:

http://www.espn.com/olympics/hockey...pation-games-young-us-players-lose-big-chance

Dylan Larkin new favorite player

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
That's great to hear from Larkin. Always looking forward for the US team on WHC, these young players are hungry, high-energy and hard working, they are always fun to watch, unlike Team USA on the last couple of big tournaments... I expect strong US team this year.

Ghost should be good to go, but no contract for the next season. Curious to see if he goes. He should go, imo.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Dylan Larkin new favorite player

got to love it.

wouldn't it be sadly ironic though, for the NHL, if Larkin was able to muster the troops and they somehow pulled off an improbable first time ever gold medal win (modern times anyway, and excluding the 1960 Olympic gold) World Hockey Championship win in a Canada v USA final.

all this in a year that Bettman and Co. stubbed their toe on a gimmicky and underwhelming World Cup reboot and then poo pooed the Olympics. It would just be so fitting for the NHL.

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com
Tyler Johnson was hobbling in Boston the other night. He was great the last time he played. Anders Lee and Brock Nelson played well the last time they went together.

And yah great job Larkin!

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Keep a couple of spots open in the event Pittsburgh gets bounced in the opening rd.

I'd like to see the Oracle of Omaha JAKE GUENTZEL make an appearance along with SHEARY.

I'd like to see Phil as well, but he likes to fish in the off season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad