WC: 2017 Team USA

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I think it will be a young roster again but there are some good players to pick from. Would like to see guys like Keller, Connor, Boeser, etc. show up.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Depending on if EJ is playing at 100% yet or not, I actually wouldn't be surprised if he decides to join the WC this year. It's in great locations and he missed a lot of time due to his broken bone.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
I think they will...they have no choice if they want everyone to take this serious.

After watching how the u23 team severely hurt team USA, I think they realized how that only hurts this tournament.

I think most if not all of us can agree that Gaudreau, Eichel, Saad, and Jones all likely would have made team USA. You could have made a case for Gibson, Trocheck, and Matthews especially with how shallow at center we were.

Either way, when they do this again, you simply cannot punish US/Canada and take away some of their better players.

the team Europe thing wasn't nearly as bad as it didn't hurt any other country in the tournament, but you can't have teams representing countries and one representing a continent.

USA- Canada- Sweden - Russia- Finland - Czech - Swiss - ??? whatever team wins a quick round robin prior between Norway, Slovakia, Germany, and Denmark perhaps...

Matthews and McDavid I think would still be on the u23 team in 3 years. Just hope they don't go full world baseball classic and John Tavares is playing for Portugal.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Running team USA accepted invites

Goaltending
1. Connor Hellebuyck

Defense
1.Jacob Trouba
2.Connor Murphy

Forwards
1.Dylan Larkin
2.Andrew Copp
3.Christian Dvorak

Last edited:

Bear12Good

Dec 7, 2015
Russia
Ben Bishop
Jonatan Quick
Connor Hellebuyck

Anders Lee-Jack Eichel-Blake Wheeler
Brock Nelson-Tyler Johnson-Kyle Palmieri
Dylan Larkin-Vincent Trocheck-Kyle Okposo
-Derek Ryan-

Dustin Byfuglien- Nick Leddy
Keith Yandle-Jacob Trouba
Shayne Gostisbehere-Justin Faulk
Alec Martinez

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
this is the best start I have seen in years :laugh:

we have a #1 goalie and a future top 6 star that had a solid sophomore season (all of Detroit crapped the bed statistically outside of Zett)

I would imagine Larkin's teammate DeKeyser will come and anchor that blue line along with Hanifin, Slavin and Trouba. That would be a nice realistic group to have, mobile with size.

Forwards is just totally wide open with likely : Boeser, Connor, Boucher, Trocheck, Lee, Nelson, Palmieri, Compher, etc as all realistic top 9 players..

If Larkin can rally the troops, we should at least have a legit top 6 forward group, a legit top 4 defensemen, and a starting goalie with a solid backup in Kinkaid.

I know Nick Bjugstad has had a rough go of late, might be a nice chance for him to step up and get some more hockey in..I would take him 100% over some Euro retreads/AHL guys.
I will take that everyday...

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
I just hope that this year we won't be hearing again the lyrics of the "USAHockey Doesn't Want To Win This Tournament" song.

Bear12Good

Dec 7, 2015
Russia
I just hope that this year we won't be hearing again the lyrics of the "USAHockey Doesn't Want To Win This Tournament" song.

I still optimistic.
USA win in these year woman World Championship and u-20 + Championship + likely win u-18 Champ.
Why dont try win World Championship 17?)

JTD

Apr 7, 2016
USA
So, first 4 accepted invites appear to be Larkin, Hellebuyck, Trouba, Copp. Looks like this year's team will be a significant improvement from last year. Would be nice to get someone like Justin Faulk on the blue line but was interesting that Byfuglien seemed open to joining if invited. Doubt he actually says yes though. Wouldn't surprise me if Kinkaid accepts invite to be #2 goalie. At forward I expect the likes of Keller and Boeser to join the team, would be nice to add guys like Palmieri and Trocheck among the non-playoff teams.

I want the Penguins to beat Columbus but it would be really fun to see Sheary and Guentzel playing in this tournament. The US should be more fun to watch than in past years if the early additions are any indication

Last edited:

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
If Connor is number one goalie i think Stolarz and Cal Petersen are backups. Kinkaid is out of contract so i think Stolarz is better option than Jeremy Smith. Quick and Howard was injured this season and Bishop is UFA so i understand if those guys says no. Schneider should go tho.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
Jacob Trouba and Copp just accepted invites.

Don't know anything about Copp, but Trouba is a great start to the D for the US.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
at the Jets end of season interview - Trouba said he would play, but wasn't sure about Copp.

I will add Copp later if I see a report on him coming.

So far we have a #1 goalie, top 6 forward, and top 4 dman...solid start!

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I doubt it, when was the last time he played in a WC? I hope Compher gets an invite.

He did play I believe the last time it was in Prague (not last year) or in Canada. Forgot which one, but he's that 1 in 5 or 6 years type of player and it has been quite a while since the last time.

I agree he doesn't really care for this type of tourney, but considering the time he missed with a broken leg, I wouldn't be surprised if did decide to join.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad