WC: 2017 Team USA

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
Don't get me wrong, it's one of my favorite annual traditions, seeing the names roll in.

The World Cup was weirdly a success for USA Hockey. I know that sounds asinine considering "Team USA" went three and out and was HORRIBLE. But the Team North America was carried mostly by the American half of the team. Obviously Conor McDavid is a superstar, no question, but after him Matthews, Eichel, Jones, Gotisbehere etc were some of Team NA's best players and showed that the future is bright for American players. That's assuming of course they have a competition to wear the USA sweater in.

Wait, what? That's not really true, like at all. The best defensemen were Ekblad and Rielly, Parayko was also good, you know, canadians. Then perhaps Gostisbehere and Murray, Jones. Among forwards, MacKinnon was great. Obviously Matthews-McDavid-Scheifele line was good. Trocheck was good. Gaudreau was shining. But Eichel? He had some solid moments, but overall he was definitely in the worse part of the team. Nugent-Hopkins on the other hand was better than I had expected. I think it was 50/50 with the impact on the game. ;) But the absolute best players imo were Rielly, Ekblad on defence and Gaudreau, McDavid, MacKinnon, Matthews, and RNH up front.

Btw, just a bit off topic, but I still laugh at the posters that were saying how Matthews had his WC spot because of marketing, and that he didn't belong there, lol. I was saying the whole time that Matthews would be an immediate impact in the NHL and that he was on the level of Eichel already.

Last edited:

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
On topic though, here's what the US could have for this tournament. I actually think they could have a very good team this year. Here's my optimistic prediction:

James Van Riemsdyk - Auston Matthews - Kyle Okposo
Johnny Gaudreau - Tyler Johnson - Vincent Trocheck
Dylan Larkin - Jack Eichel - Kyle Palmieri
Kyle Connor - Nick Bjugstad - Matthew Tkachuk
Clayton Keller

Justin Faulk - Dustin Byfuglien
Jacob Trouba - Erik Johnson
Noah Hanifin - Jacob Slavin
Pesce/Leddy/Yandle

Cory Schneider/Ben Bishop/Jimmy Howard
Hellebuyck

The bolded I'm sure about they will be on the team. Up front, Eichel is a question, T.Johnson and Okposo too, but why not if they want to make the olympics? On D, normally I would say Byfuglien is a clear no, but if USAHockey thinks about him as a possibility for Korea, wouldn't they want to see him how he does on the bigger ice? I also definitely think the team will have one of Schneider/Bishop/Howard in goal. There has to be interest from both sides. I expect one of them jumping at the inviation like a lion.

CaseyMitts37

Mar 2, 2013
Buffalo
Why is Eichel on anyone's roster? He's been playing hurt with a high ankle sprain, 0% chance he'll want to extend his season to play in this

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Wait, what? That's not really true, like at all. The best defensemen were Ekblad and Rielly, Parayko was also good, you know, canadians. Then perhaps Gostisbehere and Murray, Jones. Among forwards, MacKinnon was great. Obviously Matthews-McDavid-Scheifele line was good. Trocheck was good. Gaudreau was shining. But Eichel? He had some solid moments, but overall he was definitely in the worse part of the team. Nugent-Hopkins on the other hand was better than I had expected. I think it was 50/50 with the impact on the game. ;) But the absolute best players imo were Rielly, Ekblad on defence and Gaudreau, McDavid, MacKinnon, Matthews, and RNH up front.

Btw, just a bit off topic, but I still laugh at the posters that were saying how Matthews had his WC spot because of marketing, and that he didn't belong there, lol. I was saying the whole time that Matthews would be an immediate impact in the NHL and that he was on the level of Eichel already.

Ekblad played one game

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
Ekblad played one game
Well yeah, but he also played the 3 exhibition games, and in those 4 games total he was easily the best defenseman on that team. The injury of Ekblad against Finland is what very well cost them the tournament. That, and Murray's ridiculous injury situation against Russia too. And then I don't get why McLellan didn't speak with the players that they needed to win in regulation not in OT against Sweden - that's why the team was celebrating like crazy when MacKinnon scored in OT because they thought they would be for sure in the semis. Uh. Memories are back. That team should've made the finals. Ridiculous luck they had :shakehead and don't forget Monahan who couldn't even play due injury.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Well yeah, but he also played the 3 exhibition games, and in those 4 games total he was easily the best defenseman on that team. The injury of Ekblad against Finland is what very well cost them the tournament. That, and Murray's ridiculous injury situation against Russia too. And then I don't get why McLellan didn't speak with the players that they needed to win in regulation not in OT against Sweden - that's why the team was celebrating like crazy when MacKinnon scored in OT because they thought they would be for sure in the semis. Uh. Memories are back. That team should've made the finals. Ridiculous luck they had :shakehead and don't forget Monahan who couldn't even play due injury.

The OT thing seems to happen way more than it should in sports. How you don't know the situation in games is beyond me

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
The OT thing seems to happen way more than it should in sports. How you don't know the situation in games is beyond me
According to him, he didn't want to put too much pressure on them, but....I somehow get it, but somehow not. Especially since the win in regulation could've gave them the semifinal spot, it made me quite angry.

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com
On topic though, here's what the US could have for this tournament. I actually think they could have a very good team this year. Here's my optimistic prediction:

James Van Riemsdyk - Auston Matthews - Kyle Okposo
Johnny Gaudreau - Tyler Johnson - Vincent Trocheck
Dylan Larkin - Jack Eichel - Kyle Palmieri
Kyle Connor - Nick Bjugstad - Matthew Tkachuk
Clayton Keller

Justin Faulk - Dustin Byfuglien
Jacob Trouba - Erik Johnson
Noah Hanifin - Jacob Slavin
Pesce/Leddy/Yandle

Cory Schneider/Ben Bishop/Jimmy Howard
Hellebuyck

The bolded I'm sure about they will be on the team. Up front, Eichel is a question, T.Johnson and Okposo too, but why not if they want to make the olympics? On D, normally I would say Byfuglien is a clear no, but if USAHockey thinks about him as a possibility for Korea, wouldn't they want to see him how he does on the bigger ice? I also definitely think the team will have one of Schneider/Bishop/Howard in goal. There has to be interest from both sides. I expect one of them jumping at the inviation like a lion.

Always good to hope that certain players, from teams that won't make the playoffs, or will knocked out in the 1st round, will accept inventions. There will be a good list to go through.

A factor in accepting or passing invitations just might be where the other host cities were. No disrespect to the past host cities at all. Saint Petersburg is beautiful. Prague is awesome. Players do have to check with families first.

I am hoping that some of the bigger US stars, better players, families would jump at the chance to come to Paris and Cologne during the begining of summer. Spitballing thoughts really but it would be nice to see some good NHL players come this year.

I doubt players that played in the World Cup will come. Woll or Oettinger will be there. Probably might see a bunch of players from the WJC Gold Medal team.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Cory Schneider
Ben Bishop

Alex Goligoski - Justin Faulk
Alec Martinez - Dustin Byfuglien
Noah Hanifin - Jacob Trouba

Dylan Larkin - Vincent Trocheck - Kyle Palmeri
Blake Wheeler - Jack Eichel - Kyle Okposo
Miles Wood - Tyler Johnson - Ryan Lasch
Brock Little - Clayton Keller - Dan Sexton

With the current NHL-Standings. To be honest, i could have choose Craig Smith, Patrik Eaves and Colin Wilson but they are so boring. Little, Lasch and Sexton are exotic top-players from SHL, NLA and KHL. We all remember what Moses did.

Last edited:

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Cory Schneider
Ben Bishop

Alex Goligoski - Justin Faulk
Alec Martinez - Dustin Byfuglien
Noah Hanifin - Jacob Trouba

Dylan Larkin - Vincent Trocheck - Kyle Palmeri
Blake Wheeler - Jack Eichel - Kyle Okposo
Miles Wood - Tyler Johnson - Ryan Lasch
Brock Little - Clayton Keller - Dan Sexton

With the current NHL-Standings. To be honest, i could have choose Craig Smith, Patrik Eaves and Colin Wilson but they are so boring. Little, Lasch and Sexton are exotic top-players from SHL, NLA and KHL. We all remember what Moses did.

Uh Craig smith would be a guaranteed add if he says yes. He was our best forward several years in a row

Preisst*

Jun 11, 2008
Western Canada

If you mean cost them the tournament in terms of winning it all something tells me that having Ekblad (who wouldn't have even made the Canadian team) would not be enough for them to beat Canada.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Going to bump this as we're closer to seeing who will and won't make the playoffs.

Of the teams who obviously won't make it right now:

NJ: Kyle Palmieri, John Moore, Jon Merrill, Miles Wood, Keith Kinkaid (UFA), and if we're going deeper Beau Bennett
ARI: Jamie McBain, Connor Murphy, Christian Dvorak, Christian Fischer, Jakob Chychrun
COL: Erik Johnson, Matt Nieto
VAN: Thatcher Demko, Jack Skille
CAR: Justin Faulk, Noah Hanifin, Brett Pesce, Jacob Slavin
BUF: Zach Bogosian, Jake McCabe, Marcus Foligno
TBL: Tyler Johnson, J.T. Brown
PHI: Shayne Gostisbehere, Chris Vandevelde, Anthony Stolarz
WPG: Connor Hellebuyck, Jacob Trouba, Kyle Connor, Andrew Copp, Brandon Tanev
DAL: Stephen Johns

A guy like Keller is good bet as well, not too sure outside of the NHL and in Europe.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Going to bump this as we're closer to seeing who will and won't make the playoffs.

Of the teams who obviously won't make it right now:

NJ: Kyle Palmieri, John Moore, Jon Merrill, Miles Wood, Keith Kinkaid (UFA), and if we're going deeper Beau Bennett
ARI: Jamie McBain, Connor Murphy, Christian Dvorak, Christian Fischer, Jakob Chychrun
COL: Erik Johnson, Matt Nieto
VAN: Thatcher Demko, Jack Skille
CAR: Justin Faulk, Noah Hanifin, Brett Pesce, Jacob Slavin
BUF: Zach Bogosian, Jake McCabe, Marcus Foligno
TBL: Tyler Johnson, J.T. Brown
PHI: Shayne Gostisbehere, Chris Vandevelde, Anthony Stolarz
WPG: Connor Hellebuyck, Jacob Trouba, Kyle Connor, Andrew Copp, Brandon Tanev
DAL: Stephen Johns

A guy like Keller is good bet as well, not too sure outside of the NHL and in Europe.

Chychrun and Foligno are both dual citizens that have played for Canada at IIHF tournaments, therefore ineligible to play for the U.S. Foligno's brother in Columbus opted to play for the U.S., but it looks as though he won't be available.

Brandon Tanev in Winnipeg is a Canadian. Perhaps you can swap him out for Adam Lowry, he's also a dual citizen, but other than a U17 Team Pacific (Canada) appearance, as it was not an officially sponsored IIHF event, he is still free to choose.

nhl.com is not a particularly good source for identifying players' international eligibility.

Last edited:

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
Chychrun and Foligno are both dual citizens that have played for Canada at IIHF tournaments, therefore ineligible to play for the U.S. Foligno's brother in Columbus opted to play for the U.S., but it looks as though he won't be available.

Brandon Tanev in Winnipeg is a Canadian. Perhaps you can swap him out for Adam Lowry, he's also a dual citizen, but other than a U17 Team Pacific (Canada) appearance, as it was not an officially sponsored IIHF event, he is still free to choose.

nhl.com is not a particularly good source for identifying players' international eligibility.
Are those mentioned listed as Americans though? I recall seeing Couturier as a Canadian on nhl.com, even though his born-place is listed the US. Too lazy to loo it up.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Are those mentioned listed as Americans though? I recall seeing Couturier as a Canadian on nhl.com, even though his born-place is listed the US. Too lazy to loo it up.

it takes nhl.com years to get it right.

on nhl.com Foligno/Couturier are Canadian

Lowry/Chychrun - American.

OKOptimistic

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
This is more of an Olympic team but whatever

Gaudreau - Matthews - Kessel
Pacioretty - Pavelski - Kane
Miller - Eichel - Wheeler
Saad - Kesler - Atkinson

McDonaugh - Shattenkirk
Suter - Faulk
Werenski - Jones
Carlsson

Subs: Galchenyuk, Oshie, Byfuglien

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen

I wouldn't use NHL .com. Ironically I have found Wikipedia to be the most up to date on which team a player actually is eligible for

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

Whoops.

Well I just kind of went through elite prospects real quick and looked to see if some players I wasn't sure of played for Canada.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Whoops.

Well I just kind of went through elite prospects real quick and looked to see if some players I wasn't sure of played for Canada.

no worries...

I follow these players rather closely coming up through junior and the tournaments in which they play, and sometimes I miss on a player's international eligibility.

An updated roster....

all players are eligible. i.e. out of the NHL playoffs as of today. whether or not they are likely to accept an invite is another question. I like to deal with that once the regular season is done and the invites go out followed by who accepts/declines...

but for now...

JVR A MATTHEWS V TROCHECK
D LARKIN J EICHEL B WHEELER
A LEE T JOHNSON K OKPOSO
B NELSON K PALMIERI

C DVORAK

N LEDDY D BYFUGLIEN
J GARDINER J FAULK
K YANDLE
S GOSTISBEHERE/ N HANNIFIN

C SCHNEIDER
C HELLEBUYCK
K KINCAID

I'd keep a few spots open for a few 1st. rd early exits, i.e. J GAUDREAU. If he becomes available, then I'd hand deliver an invite with flowers and a box of chocolates. otherwise I'd take whatever NCAA Hobey Baker hotshot is out there. I haven't watched any NCAA this year..so not sure who that player is.

Canada USA final would be nice. generally makes for a more entertaining brand of hockey. Just realized that NYI are currently in a PO spot. not going to change, if they do make a wild card spot, they'll make a quick exit.

Last edited:

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
CONNOR HELLEBUYCK
KEITH KINKAID
JAKE OETTINGER

NICK LEDDY-JUSTIN FAULK
JACOB TROUBA-SHAYNE GOSTISBEHERE
JACCOB SLAVIN-CONNOR MURPHY
BEN LOVEJOY

JUSTIN ABDELKADER-JACK EICHEL-BLAKE WHEELER
ANDERS LEE-NICK BJUGSTAD-VINCENT TROCHECK
ADAM LOWRY*-DEREK RYAN-CHRISTIAN DVORAK
J.T. BROWN-NIC DOWD-DREW MILLER
JAYSON MEGNA

*Lowry is dual citizen but he still can play for US.

Otherwise lot of things can still change in playoff picture but this is my early prediction. I think we see couple guys like Wheeler this year but mostly its same old story. Guys like Derek Ryan is safe bet at the moment. Probably some NCAA guys make the team. I think people can be pretty happy if team looks like this in May.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
CONNOR HELLEBUYCK
KEITH KINKAID
JAKE OETTINGER

NICK LEDDY-JUSTIN FAULK
JACOB TROUBA-SHAYNE GOSTISBEHERE
JACCOB SLAVIN-CONNOR MURPHY
BEN LOVEJOY

JUSTIN ABDELKADER-JACK EICHEL-BLAKE WHEELER
ANDERS LEE-NICK BJUGSTAD-VINCENT TROCHECK
ADAM LOWRY*-DEREK RYAN-CHRISTIAN DVORAK
J.T. BROWN-NIC DOWD-DREW MILLER
JAYSON MEGNA

*Lowry is dual citizen but he still can play for US.

Otherwise lot of things can still change in playoff picture but this is my early prediction. I think we see couple guys like Wheeler this year but mostly its same old story. Guys like Derek Ryan is safe bet at the moment. Probably some NCAA guys make the team. I think people can be pretty happy if team looks like this in May.

Kinkaid is a UFA. Lovejoy is likely not going after playing a ton of minutes this year and the cup run the previous year. Eichel has played through an ankle injury supposedly and I highly doubt Wheeler/Abdelkader/Trocheck/Ghost/Trouba play after doing the World Cup this September, but I could be wrong.

John Moore and Jon Merrill are two names that probably stand a good chance of being there. Maybe even Bennett since he's ended the year on a tear but he's an RFA. I'd also imagine Keller is just about a lock for the WC as well.

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
Kinkaid is a UFA. Lovejoy is likely not going after playing a ton of minutes this year and the cup run the previous year. Eichel has played through an ankle injury supposedly and I highly doubt Wheeler/Abdelkader/Trocheck/Ghost/Trouba play after doing the World Cup this September, but I could be wrong.

John Moore and Jon Merrill are two names that probably stand a good chance of being there. Maybe even Bennett since he's ended the year on a tear but he's an RFA. I'd also imagine Keller is just about a lock for the WC as well.

Only chance for Lovejoy probably in International stage if he got called so i think he is good bet. In World Cup USA played only three games so maybe they want rematch. Young guns played couple games more but im really disappointed if those young guys wont come.

Bear12Good

Dec 7, 2015
Russia
JVR O.Matthews Blake Wheeler
Johnny Gaudreau Tyler Johnson Kyle Palmieri
Matthew Tkachuk Jack Eichel Kyle Okposo
Anders Lee Vincent Trocheck Brock Nelson
Christian Dvorak
Patrick Eaves

Dustin Byfuglien Alec Martinez
Keith Yandle Nick Leddy
Gostisbehere Jacob Trouba
Faulk

FrodoBeggins

Jun 26, 2016
Kerch
These options are more like the composition of some fantasy, and not the real composition that will go to the World Cup. I am sure that students and players from the AHL will come again. Dilute this lineup of several medium-sized players from the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad