WJC: 2017 Team USA Roster Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
The difference between the Canada thread and the USA one is incredible. USA squeeks out a win against Switzerland carried by great goaltending from Parsons. Canada has a huge come back win against the Czechs after going down on a bad bounce and its all doom and gloom.

I prefer your guys attitudes!

We are just saving our doom and gloom for the semis against a team that's eliminated us three years in a row.

XokkeyGuy

Apr 30, 2013
:popcorn: Some nerd statistics I came up with while comparing previous tournaments this evening before the upcoming game between Russia - USA:

:amazed: Russia and USA have played each other in the playoffs for the past three World Junior Championships, two quarter finals and one semifinal.
:naughty: Russia has won all of them, in two out of three games USA have had the lead by one goal.
:sarcasm: During both of the times that the teams have faced each other in the quarter finals Russia has finished 3rd in their group, while USA finished at 2nd place during all of the three competitions (Russia finishing 1st the one time they played in the semifinals).
:nod: The upcoming match will be the first time they have already played each other at an earlier stage of the tournament, being either in different groups or not being able to due to change in the tournament format.

- USA has always had a better goal difference than Russia during all of the three previous tournament group stages as well as this years.
(USA has during these events always had more goals scored as well as having conceded less than Russia, year by year, except for in 2014 when they had both scored 21 goals)
- USA has faced Canada during the group stage in each of the previous three tournaments as well as this years, having lost the two first while winning the two last (and those years they have won has so far taken USA to the semifinals).

Last edited:

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Americans need to get up a couple goals again.I can smell the penalties coming again in that barn.Only chance Russia has is powerplays .5 on 5 USA will take it to them.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Troy Terry. American hero.

That was an amazing, yet tense, semifinal game. Wild swings in momentum for each team. Sucks that it had to end in a shootout, but what a shootout put on by the two teams. I don't think I could have stood to lose another heartbreaker shootout for the ages like they did in 2007 against Toews and Canada.

I was about to lose my mind with the slow moves on Samsonov. Thompson in the round robin and Keller today on the penalty shots, and then White, Keller, and Anderson in the shootout. It's like they were determined to prove a point. Terry was already basically my hero for just taking a clean shot.

Not great to overanalyze the knockout games because it's all about finding a way to win at this stage, but the team really struggled today with sloppy, unforced turnovers. Unforced turnovers by Harper and Fox were directly responsible for 2 of the 3 goals against. Need to clean this up.

Finally nice to get the Russian monkey off the WJC back of Team USA in the medal rounds. It's always felt that no matter how well they played against Russia, they'd lose when it mattered most.

Player Thoughts:

• Sports are a funny thing. I thought Terry started really slow today (he was better in the 3rd + OT), but he has ice water running through his veins. His second shootout goal in particular was nasty.
  • Caleb Jones was struggling in the first big time with turnovers, but he cleaned it up and played some big minutes along with McAvoy.
  • Cecconi stepped up today. He got beat on Kaprizov's goal, but he played some tough minutes this game.
  • Roslovic was finally flying, but he was almost going too fast. His adrenaline was through the roof, I hope he has the same step tomorrow.
  • Bracco stepped up. Great pass on the Kunin goal, and a clutch shootout extender as well.
  • I hope Laczynski can play tomorrow. He's been good, and Harper isn't capable of a regular shift.
  • Foley's really struggling with the turnovers. His passing has been awful. As a Kings fan, he reminds of Kyle Clifford in that I expect the worst when the puck gets to him in the defensive zone. Disappointing tournament so far for him because he was so good in the camps.
  • Guryanov was a force today for Russia. I have no idea how his second shootout goal went in on multiple viewings because it looks as if there was nothing there, but it was his day. Looked Malkin-esque on a few of his wide, circling power moves to the front of the net.

Last edited:

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Two best teams for the gold medal as it should be, and a bonus for us all that it's USA vs. Canada. It's going to be tough to beat the same team twice (especially Canada) in the tournament for a second time, but it should be a hell of a game regardless.

One thing for sure is Motzko and company needs to have the team prepared for Canada to come out really strong as they did tonight. Weathering the early storm will be crucial. Hopefully they can also pop in an early goal on Hart and rattle a crowd eager to turn on their goalie(s).

Side note: Canada played really well tonight, but Sweden was also unimpressive. It's a moot point, but I think Sweden would've faced a very similar fate against Team USA in the semis as well. They didn't handle Canada's forecheck or cycle well at all, and that's where Team USA thrives as well. The Swedish team also looked particularly soft. Granted, their preparation wasn't helped in such a weak round robin group either.

Last edited:

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Troy Terry! Always cool to see a kid who basically grew up playin at the same rink I do, do something like this on the big stage.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Did the NHL really name Terry 1st. Star of the Day?

They got a lot of nerve trying to score marketing points off this tournament considering what complete a-holes NHL GMs have been this year hording players that could benefit from a little more development time at this tournament and less time in NHL press-box.

5pointslow

Feb 11, 2015
Taunton ma
im excited for my bruins to have drafted Charlie mcavoy

after watching some games on him he has made some small mistakes here and there but overall his game looks very promising for us

Joe Zanussi

Jul 15, 2011
im excited for my bruins to have drafted Charlie mcavoy

after watching some games on him he has made some small mistakes here and there but overall his game looks very promising for us

I agree in all accounts. He has definitely made mistakes. But he covers up mistakes soooooo well and so thoroughly. Last night it seemed like every time a teammate threw a bad pass, Charlie cancelled it out immediately.

Habsfann

Apr 13, 2014
I may have missed it in the thread, but who were picked the top 3 players for US?

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I can't say I agree with all the McAvoy love. I know he's playing in a different role, but I liked him more in last year's tournament where he seemed content to play more within himself.

Yea, he's made some nice plays, but he's made countless bad decisions with the puck. Over handling it, bad passes, missed poke checks, shots into shin pads etc. That's not a criticism on him as a prospect, I just feel like he hasn't had the strongest tournament for what I know he is capable of.

I think he's got a bright future, but he's playing too much of a high risk game right now, trying to do too much. He reminds me of a Subban/Faulk hybrid, both guys who can be guilty of trying to do too much, resulting in poor play over an extended period of time. I think simplifying his game would get him to the next level, just like it has for those guys.

PensBandwagonerNo272*

Forgot About Sid
Sep 10, 2012
I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I can't say I agree with all the McAvoy love. I know he's playing in a different role, but I liked him more in last year's tournament where he seemed content to play more within himself.

Almost surely by instruction by the coaching staff though. Letting him roam a bit more and take more risk given his skillset.

I think the USA has the best team in this tournament. Should be an awesome game tonight.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
In preparation for the gold medal game, I rated the play of US players (based on actual play in tournament, not necessarily production). My opinions probably differ from the majority on a few of these guys but it's just the way I've seen things.

Forwards:
Greenway A+
Roslovic A+
Keller A
Bracco A-
Terry B+
Anderson B+
Harper B+
White B
Thompson B-
Kunin C+
Foley C+
Bellows C
Laczynski C

Defense
Fox A-
Jones B+
Ahcan B
McAvoy B-
Ceconi C+
Lindgren C
Fitzgerald D+

Goaltenders
Woll A
Parsons B-
Oettinger - Participation award

I haven't been a huge fan of the coaching as well, seeing a lot of favoritism. Fox and Harper had played extremely well through the tournament, and each make one bad play and they are stapled to the bench, meanwhile Fitzgerald makes a dozen bad plays a game and keeps getting ice time. And Woll has very easily been the better goaltender IMO yet is the backup.

Anyways, we're in the final and that's all that matters. Flame away!

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Almost surely by instruction by the coaching staff though. Letting him roam a bit more and take more risk given his skillset.

I think the USA has the best team in this tournament. Should be an awesome game tonight.

Maybe, but then that's a coaching issue. We've got enough depth up front, but our D has been mega shaky.

PensBandwagonerNo272*

Forgot About Sid
Sep 10, 2012
Maybe, but then that's a coaching issue. We've got enough depth up front, but our D has been mega shaky.

Yeah. He reminds me of John Carlson in that he's best kept behind the play most of the time but has the speed and skill to make the risky play from time to time. Not an elite offensive D but a top 2 that anyone would love to have.

DaveyBumbles

Dec 31, 2016
In preparation for the gold medal game, I rated the play of US players (based on actual play in tournament, not necessarily production). My opinions probably differ from the majority on a few of these guys but it's just the way I've seen things.

Forwards:
Greenway A+
Roslovic A+
Keller A
Bracco A-
Terry B+
Anderson B+
Harper B+
White B
Thompson B-
Kunin C+
Foley C+
Bellows C
Laczynski C

Defense
Fox A-
Jones B+
Ahcan B
McAvoy B-
Ceconi C+
Lindgren C
Fitzgerald D+

Goaltenders
Woll A
Parsons B-
Oettinger - Participation award
!

Kunin has been better than a C: his line did a nice job of neutralizing Kaprizov's line for most of the game. I expect they will play against Strome in the final.

His 2 way contributions go beyond the scoresheet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille