WJC: 2017 Team USA Roster Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
after looking at the Canada 2017 thread, figured I would do the same here...

crazy thing is that unlike Canada who IMO is going to field a team possibly less skilled than this years, the US might get even better overall even with the loss of Matthews and possibly Werenski and Tkachuk. Early no doubt and still focused on this year, just want to give all the US fans even more positive news to look forward to and the rest of the world something to fear again!!

I think it only gets worse for next years team as plenty of 98's and a few 99's are going to make things very interesting for the selection process.

I will put Matthews below, but he is 100% gone for next year, and Tkachuk might not be too far behind him in the NHL.

If you thought Team USA had tough choices to make this year, take a gander below for next year:

Forwards

Jack Roslovic - 97
Auston Matthews - 97
Colin White - 97
Brock Boeser - 97
Christian Fischer - 97
Dennis Yan - 97
Jeremy Bracco - 97
Tommy Novak - 97
Brendan Warren - 97
Luke Kunin - 97
Jordan Greenway - 97
Cam Askew - 97
Matthew Tkachuk - 97
Erik Foley - 97
Tage Thompson - 97
Robby Jackson - 97
Chase Pearson - 97
Adam Marsh - 97
Alex DeBrincat - 97

Max Jones - 98
Clayton Keller - 98
Kieffer Bellows - 98
Kailer Yamamoto - 98
Timmy Gettinger - 98
Logan Brown - 98
Riley Tufte - 98
William Knierim - 98
Casey Mittelstadt - 98
Patrick Khodorenko - 98
Joey Anderson - 98
Liam Murphy - 98
Trent Frederick - 98
Nick Pastujov - 98

Vanya Lodnia - 99
Evan Barratt - 99
Michael Pastujov - 99
Branon McManus - 99
Scott Reedy - 99
Sasha Chmelevski - 99

Defense

Zach Werenski - 97
Caleb Jones - 97
Charles McAvoy - 97
Tory Dello - 97
Casey Fitzgerald - 97

Chad Krys - 98
Luke Martin - 98
Jakob Chychrun - 98
Andrew Peeke - 98
Ben Gleason - 98
Cam Dineen - 98
Ryan Lindgren - 98
Griffin Luce - 98
Cal Foote - 98
Sam Rossini - 98
Adam Fox - 98
J.D Greenway - 98
Jake Toporowski - 98

Max Gildon - 99
David Farrance - 99

Goalies

Luke Opilka - 97
Tyler Parsons - 97
Evan Sarthou - 97
Jake Oettinger - 98

....much better depthon defense. the 98's will be relied upon here. I can see one of the young guns in Gildon/Farrance making this team.

offense is just deep as hell again..so much skill and plenty of talent at every year - some highend 99's might sneak on the eval camp like happened this year with some 98's.

USA has no shortage of talent now at forward. the defense is improved with lots more depth and the goaltending is deep as well as all 4 could be starters next year though Sarthou has struggled this year.

just looking a this list, there is going to be outrage again as to who gets left off, cant fit all these guys,

my early 2017 USA team : Auston Matthews will not be here...Chychrun on the other hand after getting cut twice could jump ship...

Tkachuk - Yamamoto - DeBrincat
Roslovic - White - Boeser
Bellows - Keller - Jones
Fischer - Tufte - Kunin
Novak

Werenski - Jones
McAvoy - Krys
Lindgren - Gleason
Gildon/Peeke

Opilka
Parsons
Oettinger

tough choices all around, really wanted Dineen, Luce, or Martin on this defense...or Chychrun!!

Scary but Yan, Bracco, and Gettinger have little shot again at this squad in my eyes

Jaykay

Jul 5, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
Tkachuk-White-Debrincat
Keller-Roslovic-Boeser
Bellows-Kunin-M. Jones
Yan-Tufte-Fischer

13th: Bracco or Novak

Werenski-McAvoy
Krys-C. Jones
Lindgren-Foote
Fitzgerald

Opilka
Parsons
Oettinger

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Can't see Yamamoto centering the top line. Not sure I even see him making the team.

not really deep at center and strong on the wings - if he is left off the team another juggernaut team this would be IMO.

just threw lines together not worried about top lines or not just tried to put something together that made some sense.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
team looks impressive but we'll probably be without matthews and werenski. i wouldnt be surprised if tkachuk is in the NHL next year too.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I think chycrun will either be in the nhl or play for canada.

Yamamoto,what is his early 2017 ranking ?

sigx15

Jan 31, 2010
Is Oettinger considered the better goalie prospect than Joseph Woll?

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Matthews for sure, and maybe Werenski will be NHLers by this time next year. We can probably cross them off the list.

Chychrun and Brown are both eligible to play for either the US or Canada, correct?

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Matthews for sure, and maybe Werenski will be NHLers by this time next year. We can probably cross them off the list.

Chychrun and Brown are both eligible to play for either the US or Canada, correct?

He is under team Canada property at the moment, since he's played for team Canada, at recent U 18's IIHF tournament. the same with Brown who played for team canada red at the u17's. These guys are under team Canada at the moment, that said, if they don't make team Canada, I'm sure Hockey Canada will not stop them from playing on Team USA, but at that point, when the cuts are officially made, this is also in the mist of Team USA's tryouts, I doubt they will really go out and try to ask them to play, it also kinda looks bad, as an athlete on those 2 guys to jump ship on another country after not making their original team. I think Chycrun will either be in the NHL at this point.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
He is under team Canada property at the moment, since he's played for team Canada, at recent U 18's IIHF tournament. the same with Brown who played for team canada red at the u17's. These guys are under team Canada at the moment, that said, if they don't make team Canada, I'm sure Hockey Canada will not stop them from playing on Team USA, but at that point, when the cuts are officially made, this is also in the mist of Team USA's tryouts, I doubt they will really go out and try to ask them to play, it also kinda looks bad, as an athlete on those 2 guys to jump ship on another country after not making their original team. I think Chycrun will either be in the NHL at this point.

Neither Chychrun or Brown are "Team Canada property" as neither has played in an IIHF event. They could freely play for Team Canada or Team USA right now. Once they do so in an IIHF event they're then essentially locked in with that country going forward.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Neither Chychrun or Brown are "Team Canada property" as neither has played in an IIHF event. They could freely play for Team Canada or Team USA right now. Once they do so in an IIHF event they're then essentially locked in with that country going forward.

Isn't there like a five year rule or something?

lawrence

May 19, 2012

fair enough, but I doubt he will play for USA, again, he will play for team Canada (if the team that drafts him sends him to Juniors) at this point, I doubt he will not make team Canada, and if not, he will be stuck in the NHL. regardless he's already played for Team Canada, I doubt he will jump ship, and at the same time, team USA doesn't really need him.

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
I don't think Chychrun will be in the NHL next year.

There are a lot of guys on this list, that really have no shot at this team.

I see it as a fairly cut and dry team. Older than most years too. The 97s are very strong, 98s solid too. It will pretty much be 25 skater camp again. 23 will be predictable, 3-4 obvious snubs, 2 will be risers or guys USA Hockey somehow falls in love with. Same pattern as always. Ill go out on a limb and say Bracco, Yan and Yamamoto put up big point totals next year, but 1 gets "snubbed." Only 99 I see having a shot now is Gildon.

Probably 11 of;
White
Tkachuk
DeBrincat
Boeser
Keller
Bellows
Bracco
Jones
Roslovic
Fischer
Kunin
Warren
Yan
Brown
2 undrafted or late round surprises will make the team

Probably 5 of;
Werenski
McAvoy
Krys
C Jones
Fitzgerald
Foote
Chychrun*
Lindgren
1 smaller undrafted or late round mobile puck mover (may be Fitzgerald or Fox)

Opilka
Parsons
Dhillon or Sarthou

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Isn't there like a five year rule or something?

It's four years but it involves not competing for a team registered in the original IIHF registered company (i.e. Canada), so I'm not sure how the IIHF handles situations like that.

fair enough, but I doubt he will play for USA, again, he will play for team Canada (if the team that drafts him sends him to Juniors) at this point, I doubt he will not make team Canada, and if not, he will be stuck in the NHL. regardless he's already played for Team Canada, I doubt he will jump ship, and at the same time, team USA doesn't really need him.

I agree that the Chychrun ship has sailed. I don't think he's pursuing Team USA nor do I think they're pursuing him. Brown seems like he'll probably represent whichever team comes calling first.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
If I had to guess right now I'd go with something like this:

Forwards (x13):

Matthew Tkachuk - Colin White - Jack Roslovic
Kieffer Bellows - Clayton Keller - Brock Boeser
Max Jones - Luke Kunin - Alex Debrincat
Erik Foley - Brendan Warren - Christian Fischer
Kailer Yamamoto

Defense (x7):

Zach Werenski - Charlie McAvoy
Chad Krys - Caleb Jones
Ryan Lindgren - Casey Fitzgerald
Cal Foote

Goalies (x3):

Luke Opilka
Jake Oettinger
Tyler Parsons

Notes:
  • Obviously Matthews and Hanifin won't be available. Right now I'd expect Tkachuk and Werenski to both be available.
  • I didn't consider any of the duals (Chychrun, Brown, Day) at this point. If they receive/accept invites to the summer camp then I'll consider them.
  • I think Bracco will (obviously) be a hot topic of discussion again. There's four "smaller" players in true contention with Keller, Debrincat, Bracco, and Yamamoto. Keller's a lock and Debrincat has an inside track since he's there now. I doubt they take all four and right now, I'm going against Bracco just as he's clearly not a favorite with USAH right now.
  • Some really talented forwards will be left out of contention again, so I'm excited for the hyperbolic complaining again next year.
  • I'm a bit confused by the confidence some of you are placing in Tufte's chances. He's dominating high school hockey as he should be, but he's been a no-show in international hockey in three prior appearances, the most recent of which was the Hlinka where he didn't even get on the scoresheet. I imagine he gets a chance in Lake Placid, but it's an uphill battle for him at this point. If we're looking at current high school players, a guy like Mittelstadt should have much better odds at this point.
  • The grind line in this year's tournament has mostly been a bust (and was broken up), but I don't expect USAH to go away from it, hence the makeup of my fourth line.
  • Interested to see which of the average sized d-men end up on the team. Obviously guys like Krys and Fitzgerald have the inside track, but others like Fox and Dineen will be in play too.
  • I don't see any '99 birth year players really getting into consideration.
  • Next year's team will likely resemble this year's team in terms of overall makeup. Deep and potent group of forwards to choose from, questions about the defensive depth, and uncertainty about what goalie will assume the reins. I'm not in tune with most of what the other teams may look like, but on paper this should be a gold medal contender.

Last edited:

Jaykay

Jul 5, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
[*]I'm a bit confused by the confidence some of you are placing in Tufte's chances. He's dominating high school hockey as he should be, but he's been a no-show in international hockey in three prior appearances, the most recent of which was the Hlinka where he didn't even get on the scoresheet. I imagine he gets a chance in Lake Placid, but it's an uphill battle for him at this point. If we're looking at current high school players, a guy like Mittelstadt should have much better odds at this point.
[/LIST]

I'd prefer Mittelstadt over Tufte personally, but my thinking was that Tufte will be at UMD already next year while Mittelstadt will likely be in the USHL. Tufte has a better chance to prove himself against tougher competition leading up to the tournament. I also think the top 9 will be pretty crowded already and Tufte would fit a "grind line" role better than a guy like Mittelstadt.

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
If I had to guess right now I'd go with something like this:

Forwards (x13):

Matthew Tkachuk - Colin White - Jack Roslovic
Kieffer Bellows - Clayton Keller - Brock Boeser
Max Jones - Luke Kunin - Alex Debrincat
Erik Foley - Brendan Warren - Christian Fischer
Kailer Yamamoto

Defense (x7):

Zach Werenski - Charlie McAvoy
Chad Krys - Caleb Jones
Ryan Lindgren - Casey Fitzgerald
Cal Foote

Goalies (x3):

Luke Opilka
Jake Oettinger
Tyler Parsons

Notes:
  • Obviously Matthews and Hanifin won't be available. Right now I'd expect Tkachuk and Werenski to both be available.
  • I didn't consider any of the duals (Chychrun, Brown, Day) at this point. If they receive/accept invites to the summer camp then I'll consider them.
  • I think Bracco will (obviously) be a hot topic of discussion again. There's four "smaller" players in true contention with Keller, Debrincat, Bracco, and Yamamoto. Keller's a lock and Debrincat has an inside track since he's there now. I doubt they take all four and right now, I'm going against Bracco just as he's clearly not a favorite with USAH right now.
  • Some really talented forwards will be left out of contention again, so I'm excited for the hyperbolic complaining again next year.
  • I'm a bit confused by the confidence some of you are placing in Tufte's chances. He's dominating high school hockey as he should be, but he's been a no-show in international hockey in three prior appearances, the most recent of which was the Hlinka where he didn't even get on the scoresheet. I imagine he gets a chance in Lake Placid, but it's an uphill battle for him at this point. If we're looking at current high school players, a guy like Mittelstadt should have much better odds at this point.
  • The grind line in this year's tournament has mostly been a bust (and was broken up), but I don't expect USAH to go away from it, hence the makeup of my fourth line.
  • Interested to see which of the average sized d-men end up on the team. Obviously guys like Krys and Fitzgerald have the inside track, but others like Fox and Dineen will be in play too.
  • I don't see any '99 birth year players really getting into consideration.
  • This team will likely resemble this year's team in terms of makeup. Deep and potent group of forwards to choose from, questions about the defensive depth, and uncertainty about what goalie will assume the reins.

Nice start Billy.

It's going to depend on coach for what type of team accept for the obvious.

I don't see Werenski being back at all. Tkachuk isn't any where near NHL ready yet so he will be back imo.

My dark horse is Colt Conrad from W Michigan.

A few others that might get to Lake Placid are Karch Bachman, Willie Kneirem and Matt Jurusik ( goalie at U of Wisconsin )

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I'd prefer Mittelstadt over Tufte personally, but my thinking was that Tufte will be at UMD already next year while Mittelstadt will likely be in the USHL. Tufte has a better chance to prove himself against tougher competition leading up to the tournament. I also think the top 9 will be pretty crowded already and Tufte would fit a "grind line" role better than a guy like Mittelstadt.

I don't think either really has a chance at this point, but it's a point well taken.

Nice start Billy.

It's going to depend on coach for what type of team accept for the obvious.

I don't see Werenski being back at all. Tkachuk isn't any where near NHL ready yet so he will be back imo.

My dark horse is Colt Conrad from W Michigan.

A few others that might get to Lake Placid are Karch Bachman, Willie Kneirem and Matt Jurusik ( goalie at U of Wisconsin )

I don't see Werenski back at Michigan next season, but I think there's hope he may only be in the AHL and thus could be available. I don't know a ton about Columbus and what their defense may look like next year. If he's not available, it's obviously a huge blow to the defense. They don't have the players available to step up and replace Hanifin and Werenski.

Does Conrad have American citizenship? I haven't seen the Broncos play this year, but I looked him up and it looks like he's from Manitoba.

I can see Bachman getting a look thanks to his skating, but I think he'd have to show a lot to start his freshmen campaign to really get in contention. I can see Knierim getting a look as well, but it will depend on how he starts at Miami as well. Jurusik is a tough one to get a read on as the Badgers aren't very good, and he didn't have a good Hlinka either. The goalies will be a crap shoot for the most part next year though.

Last edited:

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
I think he is Canadian only, no duel citizenship that I am aware of. Played for Hockey Canada at the U-17 level if I remember right.

I didn't know he wasn't US citizen. I predict that he will be next years Hickey for Canada

He's been really good for a true freshman playing in NCHC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad