WJC: 2017 Team USA Roster Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaykay

Jul 5, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
In preparation for the gold medal game, I rated the play of US players (based on actual play in tournament, not necessarily production). My opinions probably differ from the majority on a few of these guys but it's just the way I've seen things.

Forwards:
Greenway A+
Roslovic A+
Keller A
Bracco A-
Terry B+
Anderson B+
Harper B+
White B
Thompson B-
Kunin C+
Foley C+
Bellows C
Laczynski C

Defense
Fox A-
Jones B+
Ahcan B
McAvoy B-
Ceconi C+
Lindgren C
Fitzgerald D+

Goaltenders
Woll A
Parsons B-
Oettinger - Participation award

I haven't been a huge fan of the coaching as well, seeing a lot of favoritism. Fox and Harper had played extremely well through the tournament, and each make one bad play and they are stapled to the bench, meanwhile Fitzgerald makes a dozen bad plays a game and keeps getting ice time. And Woll has very easily been the better goaltender IMO yet is the backup.

Anyways, we're in the final and that's all that matters. Flame away!

I'd give Terry a muuuuuch better grade than Roslovic, who was invisible until last night's game. Also, Harper has not been good. There's a reason he's not getting ice time.

Greeneye

May 17, 2006
Golden, CO
Yeah I haven't been a fan of Bellows in this tournament either. I'm not seeing anything from him, perhaps I've missed his better play? Looked like the 13th fwd to me yesterday. Hopefully he can come up big tonight tho.

Kunin's been really good imo, way better than a C.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
In preparation for the gold medal game, I rated the play of US players (based on actual play in tournament, not necessarily production). My opinions probably differ from the majority on a few of these guys but it's just the way I've seen things.

Forwards:
Greenway A+
Roslovic A+
Keller A
Bracco A-
Terry B+
Anderson B+
Harper B+
White B
Thompson B-
Kunin C+
Foley C+
Bellows C
Laczynski C

Defense
Fox A-
Jones B+
Ahcan B
McAvoy B-
Ceconi C+
Lindgren C
Fitzgerald D+

Goaltenders
Woll A
Parsons B-

I haven't been a huge fan of the coaching as well, seeing a lot of favoritism. Fox and Harper had played extremely well through the tournament, and each make one bad play and they are stapled to the bench, meanwhile Fitzgerald makes a dozen bad plays a game and keeps getting ice time. And Woll has very easily been the better goaltender IMO yet is the backup.

I would switch Bracco and White. Unless you are talking about the shootout only.
Roslovic is a B+ overall. I'd give him an A vs Russia yesterday
Harper no more than a B ... the guy isn't getting on the ice
Anderson B+ and White a B? excuse me. Anderson was noticable in the dying minutes other than that he has contributed very little. C is my grade
Kunin C+ should be at least a B+

Essentially... Not sure what you are watching; [MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
I've thought he's played the role of crash-banger energy player really well. I don't know though I'm sure you guys have followed the team closer than I have.

He has had flashes throughout the tournament but has been much more bad than good.

Not strong on the puck, made a poor decision behind the cage which that turnover lead to Russia's tying goal yesterday (Yes, Fox made a huge mistake, too) and has been overall not effective in any zone. Hope he does play great tonight, though!

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I'd give Terry a muuuuuch better grade than Roslovic, who was invisible until last night's game. Also, Harper has not been good. There's a reason he's not getting ice time.

Roslovic has been saddled with Bellows and Thompson, for the most part. Bellows is a black hole. When he gets the puck, it's either a low percentage shot or a turnover. Any offensive possession dies with him. Thompson hasn't been good 5v5.

Roslovic's game against Russia showed what he can bring with better line-mates (paired with Terry, they were very dangerous). He is very good on the PP, and I wonder why he hasn't had an opportunity in Thompson's spot (who basically just hammers one-timers, and every team knows it).

I agree that Terry has been excellent.

Keller has been a joy to watch, but he'll need to watch his shift lengths against Canada.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Funny, I think Thompson is getting the worst of it. He was VERY good in the first 2 games.

He's been okay.... much better than Bellows. He gets a lot of PP time that elevates his opportunities to perform. As the tournament has progressed, I think he has become less effective 5v5, and Roslovic has become more and more important in terms of his role and effectiveness on the team. Glad to see the USA coaches have noticed, and gave him more responsibilities last game.

YourAverageFan*

Jan 19, 2016

Forwards:
Greenway A+
Roslovic A+
Keller A
Bracco A-
Terry B+
Anderson B+
Harper B+
White B
Thompson B-
Kunin C+
Foley C+
Bellows C
Laczynski C

Defense
Fox A-
Jones B+
Ahcan B
McAvoy B-
Ceconi C+
Lindgren C
Fitzgerald D+

Goaltenders
Woll A
Parsons B-

No idea what games you've been watching...

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Laczynski C

Don't agree at all. I know he's a 4th line center, so he won't get the attention or the focus of others and people will just look at box scores, but as a Flyers fan, he's my main focus every time he's on for a shift. He plays a role as a depth player getting 4th line minutes and no PP. You can only do so much in that role, and he's been about as good as you can hope for. He is constantly sustaining and creating cycles and causing turnovers, playing good defense, driving play, dominating at the dot, and setting up his linemates for chances they haven't buried. Motzko really trusts that line. Don't see remotely how you think he's been the worst on the team, along with Bellows, who truly has been a disaster. Laczynski plays 4C, and it seems you're judging him without considering usage and role.

everything

Jan 5, 2017
No idea what games you've been watching...

Woll is a better golie than Parsons whom is still living off one glove save off of Switzerland. Other than that he has been good not great. Woll impresses me. I think the coach made a mistake tonight.

Canada will win. I am rooting for USA.

YourAverageFan*

Jan 19, 2016
Woll is a better golie than Parsons whom is still living off one glove save off of Switzerland. Other than that he has been good not great. Woll impresses me. I think the coach made a mistake tonight.

Canada will win. I am rooting for USA.

Don't know where in my post that I talked about the goalies...

Also, when you have a goalie that's won his last 21 playoff games (OHL Playoffs, Memorial Cup, WJC), you go with him, no question.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado

Forwards:
Greenway A+
Roslovic A+
Keller A
Bracco A-
Terry B+
Anderson B+
Harper B+
White B
Thompson B-
Kunin C+
Foley C+
Bellows C
Laczynski C

Defense
Fox A-
Jones B+
Ahcan B
McAvoy B-
Ceconi C+
Lindgren C
Fitzgerald D+

Goaltenders
Woll A
Parsons B-

There's a lot a disagree with here, starting with a guy like Roslovic above Kunin, White, and others, and especially Fox as the best rated d-man. He's been by far the worst d-man on the team and has basically gifted the opposition 2 of the last 3 goals against.

Edit: make that 3 of the last 4 goals against.

Last edited:

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Team looks mentally and physically exhausted and Canada looks fresh. You knew Canada would come out strong, and then Fox gifted them two goals. Tough to blame Parsons, but that was an atmosphere where his team needed a big save and he didn't have it.

I wonder how much of the team's sluggishness is that physical and emotional barnburner yesterday against Russia, and how much of it is the flu that's apparently working it's way through the team. Losing Lindgren tonight was a huge blow. I would imagine that's why he didn't play that much down the stretch against Russia yesterday as well.

Team needs a goal early in the 2nd to get some life, otherwise I fear it could be a long night.

everything

Jan 5, 2017
William Bonney I feel like money and politics have now entered this tournament. At the beginning of round play they were calling all kinds of penalties now all of a sudden they stopped and letting Canada play their dirty game.

TSN money has spoken. I won't watch this tournament anymore.

Can you reply I value your opinion.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
William Bonney I feel like money and politics have now entered this tournament. At the beginning of round play they were calling all kinds of penalties now all of a sudden they stopped and letting Canada play their game.

TSN money has spoken. I won't watch this tournament anymore.

Can you reply I value your opinion.

Money and politics have always been a part of sports. Canada hosts this tournament every other year because of it.

I have no issue with the refs in that first. There were a few plays on both teams that probably would have been penalties in a round robin game, but I'd rather they let them play as long as they're consistent, and for the most part I thought they were so far.

The mugging Chabot put on that started the rush for the first goal was the most egregious non-call, but if Fox doesn't play that rush like he was Rob Schremp caught back on defense it's likely not even an issue.

The issue for the team so far is they look tired, and the flu they've been battling isn't helping. They needed to weather the predictable storm, and they did ok to start, but the wheels fell off after that first goal. An early goal in the 2nd is critical to turn the tides a bit, but hopefully get their legs going again more than anything.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Team looks mentally and physically exhausted and Canada looks fresh. You knew Canada would come out strong, and then Fox gifted them two goals. Tough to blame Parsons, but that was an atmosphere where his team needed a big save and he didn't have it.

I wonder how much of the team's sluggishness is that physical and emotional barnburner yesterday against Russia, and how much of it is the flu that's apparently working it's way through the team. Losing Lindgren tonight was a huge blow. I would imagine that's why he didn't play that much down the stretch against Russia yesterday as well.

Team needs a goal early in the 2nd to get some life, otherwise I fear it could be a long night.

I think we need to take the Russian attitude. They just rolls four lines and don't really view the group stage as that important. We seem to take every group stage game as a do or die and really we just need to be ready for the knockouts. The Swedes seem to have the same issue.

everything

Jan 5, 2017
Thanks for your reply I knew you would be rational. My feelings are the same Hockey Canada and TSN are bullies with their money. Canada is now allowed to play dirty and get a way with it. I will turn this off just like I did the NHL and I live in Canada.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I think we need to take the Russian attitude. They just rolls four lines and don't really view the group stage as that important. We seem to take every group stage game as a do or die and really we just need to be ready for the knockouts. The Swedes seem to have the same issue.

They rolled four lines in the round robin this tournament.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad