WJC: 2017 Team USA Roster Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

4thlineduster

Jan 6, 2012
I must say the Americans looked quite good today. I don't see NCAA hockey much and this is the first I've really seen of Greenway........very impressed with his play.

Joe Zanussi

Jul 15, 2011
Quick thought: I've said a few times that I thought McAvoy hadnt played well in this tourney. I thought he was a monster today. Very good. Our D overall was really good.....Fox and Lindgren looked great.

Obviously, Greenway was our best forward today.

The PP going "low to high" is a killer to our opponents. Couldnt have a better example than our first two goals.

I'm thrilled right now....but I've been here before. If they let down...

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I have to say - Woll looked very very good. Didn't even need to be like Hasek or anything to beat Canada, was just very steady, and got the job done. As the poster said, to quote the post and remind him if he was wrong:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=126226635&postcount=84

You, were wrong.

the USA is looking really good. I know that TSN picked Sweden to win, but I wouldn't be surprised if the States won instead. :)

IDuck

Sep 26, 2007
I hope this is the "USAH" style of play now...very high skill and speed with physical touch to it...they are killing teams on the forecheck, have a great transition game, and dmen are good and skating/passing out of other teams forecheck...it is a well coached team with really good players that seem to know the system well...this team can SKATE and the only team I have seen that skates that well is the russians....anyone notice the same?

Jan 8, 2012
NY
I hope this is the "USAH" style of play now...very high skill and speed with physical touch to it...they are killing teams on the forecheck, have a great transition game, and dmen are good and skating/passing out of other teams forecheck...it is a well coached team with really good players that seem to know the system well...this team can SKATE and the only team I have seen that skates that well is the russians....anyone notice the same?

Absolutely. Especially when you compare them with last year's team that mostly just lumbered around the ice. All these kids can either skate, or if you're a monster like Greenway, I guess you don't need to skate that fast.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
I'm surprise nobody is mentionning White's game today. He had an exceptionnel game i thought, Especially in the D zone. Saved a goal that change the whole game. Scored the first goal on a very good play by Greenway, and letal shot.

White is this team most complete forward, IMO. Not the best offensively, but his overall 2-way game is magic.

I'm bias, i know XD. I'm very high on White.

YourAverageFan*

Jan 19, 2016
I'm surprise nobody is mentionning White's game today. He had an exceptionnel game i thought, Especially in the D zone. Saved a goal that change the whole game. Scored the first goal on a very good play by Greenway, and letal shot.

White is this team most complete forward, IMO. Not the best offensively, but his overall 2-way game is magic.

I'm bias, i know XD. I'm very high on White.

I don't think he's being mentioned by anyone because he's amazing every single game. The Sens got a steal with him. Absolutely love him

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen

The forward pool is spectacular. Defense actually might have been underrated and goalies are the best in the tournament. Often times we try to blame USA hockey or the coaching staff when the player pool just sucked. (2012 might be the only exception to this rule)

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA
Bracco looked like a spectator out there. First time I got to see him play and I was very disappointed. Shame since he is a local kid who I hoped would make it to the show.

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
Fantastic performance by the team today. The specialty teams finally played well, and the team again largely carried the 5v5 play as they have all tournament.

They started strong, and never let Canada take over or get the crowd into it. I would have liked to see the team put the game out of reach earlier on one of the 3rd period PPs or the 3-4 breakaways, but credit is due to Ingram as he made some big saves to give his team a chance.

Both goalies were very good today. Woll was very composed in net, and did a good job staying square to the puck. Should be a tough decision for Motzko and company going into the QFs as both goalies deserve to start.

Losing Kunin was a tough blow. He hasn't been putting up points, but he's been a huge part of the team. I haven't seen timing on the hit yet (in terms of actual time elapsed), but it wasn't to the head and Kunin didn't leave his feet. It was at worst slightly late, and if that's the case, and I hate the IIHF rule, they called it by the book because Myers was injured. That shouldn't be more than a 2 minute penalty in my opinion, but it is what it is. Shouldn't even be a discussion about additional discipline, and hopefully Myers can come back next game.

That Kunin penalty could have been a turning point in the game, especially with the 5-on-3 goal because Canada got a lot of jump out of it. Post-PP was the only real sustained 5v5 dominance from Canada, but the Bracco goal ended that run after a couple of minutes.

On the player side:

• Caleb Jones had his best game yet today. He was a rock back there.
  • Defense as a whole was fantastic. A much maligned group coming in (remember the dire posts about Cal Foote choosing Canada?) and so far, they've been awesome as a group.
  • Greenway was a beast.
  • Foley is playing so soft on the puck when trying to clear the zone. He's been consistently failing to clear the zone when he gets the puck on the wall.
  • Terry goes east-west in the offensive zone when on the rush so effectively. I hope he never gets caught doing it, but man does he create good chances when he makes that move.
  • Motzko needs to get Roslovic and Thompson more ice time.
  • I imagine Canadian fans aren't too happy with Dubois. Played a lazy game and wasn't impressive or dangerous.
  • Strome is really good at the junior level, but at the WJC I only ever notice him on the PP. Interested to see how he translates his 5v5 play to the NHL.

Yeah the US has been dominant 5v5. So much speed and puck awareness on this team. The ability to knock pucks down and control pucks in their skates has really been impressive and sometimes overlooked, especially on the cycle game and pucks that get rimmed around the boards.

Pretty much agree with everything here, funny you mention Strome. The kid is obviously a good player, but I've seen him live multiple times. I live just 2 hours from Erie and saw him play mid season and in the playoffs against the Greyhounds and the Generals in the Final. Of course in international tournaments as well and when the competition is upped significantly he doesn't create much unless he's being fed a one timer on the pp. Thompson almost had another beauty if the puck didn't roll of his stick in the 3rd, I too was hoping we would really put them away in the 3rd period but it was a good performance and we were the better team tonight.

This group has really come together and played well. You really see how the ADM has developed the high end kids with their hockey IQ and small area battles of the game.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Good win over Canada today. The players can't look to far ahead but the path is theirs to play for Gold. The Swiss have been a tough out but the US should win. They have the recipe to beat Russia.

Paneerboy

Leave Zach alone
May 16, 2015
I've watched just about nothing for USA, thus can anyone who's watched more of USA tell me how Bracco has looked thus far?

clevelandcane

Dec 30, 2011
Ohio
I've been super impressed by the whole team.

Before the tourney began I said Greenway and Thompson would impress. I was correct. Not many have mentioned the 10/20/14 line. I love it, especially Foley.

The D is rock steady.

The G, as always, have been really, really steady.

I hope they win gold but any way you cut it this group is impressive.

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA
Bracco has looked amazing. Best vision on the team.

If you mean vision as being a spectator while watching the other kids play hockey I will agree with you. Kid was a huge disappointment in my opinion.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
I made a video about the Flag Raising Incident:

Oh, man! I missed that whole incident as I was trying to find the Finland/Swiss game. That was just embarrassing! Fitting way to end 2016 though. Still not nearly as bad as that Mariah Carey debacle from last night. :laugh:

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
Just wanted to say how much of an impression Greenway left on me. Looks like Benn 2.0 out there. Little more skating and shot instinct and he'd be close. Deffinatly keeping my eye on him

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
And good win by USA. You guys were everywhere on the ice and completely smothered Canada in all 3 zones. Canada looked like a bunch of 3rd liners out there due to the USA hustle and determination. Well done

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad