WJC: 2017 Team USA Roster Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
The team should be pretty happy with that result. At worst they secured a top 2 finish in their group, which means they'll likely play one of the weak teams (aka not Sweden) from the other group in the QFs.

They dominated Russia for most of the opening 20-25 minutes, and largely controlled the entire game at 5-5.

You could tell the team lost their legs about 30-35 minutes in after that ridiculously short ~17 hour break between the end of the game against Slovakia to the start of today's game against a rested Russian squad. Amateur scheduling at play, but the team found a way.

The specialty teams weren't good again, and if they don't get better it's going to bite them in the elimination round.

I'm going to give Motzko the benefit of the doubt that his really conservative approach there in the 3rd for about 10-15 minutes was the result of an exhausted team, and not how he plans to finish games against good teams if they have the lead.

On the player side, Troy Terry has been great. He's brought a lot of life to that fourth line, and is a guy that can play anywhere in the lineup with his skating.

I thought Casey Fitzgerald was bad in the first game, but he's been awesome the last two outings. Composed, smart, and moving the puck well.

Also, Samsonov is a great prospect, and he always seems to bring his best against the US.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
The team should be pretty happy with that result. At worst they secured a top 2 finish in their group, which means they'll likely play one of the weak teams (aka not Sweden) from the other group in the QFs.

They dominated Russia for most of the opening 20-25 minutes, and largely controlled the entire game at 5-5.

You could tell the team lost their legs about 30-35 minutes in after that ridiculously short ~17 hour break between the end of the game against Slovakia to the start of today's game against a rested Russian squad. Amateur scheduling at play, but the team found a way.

The specialty teams weren't good again, and if they don't get better it's going to bite them in the elimination round.

I'm going to give Motzko the benefit of the doubt that his really conservative approach there in the 3rd for about 10-15 minutes was the result of an exhausted team, and not how he plans to finish games against good teams if they have the lead.

On the player side, Troy Terry has been great. He's brought a lot of life to that fourth line, and is a guy that can play anywhere in the lineup with his skating.

I thought Casey Fitzgerald was bad in the first game, but he's been awesome the last two outings. Composed, smart, and moving the puck well.

Also, Samsonov is a great prospect, and he always seems to bring his best against the US.
I took him in my pool and got real nervous after that first outing. :laugh:
I think Fitzgerald was the team's best dman out there today. I also agree with your thoughts about Terry. He's a real sparkplug out there. Definitely adds to the team's depth.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
If there is one major advantage Team USA has over Team Canada, it is Tyler Parsons. I had him as my best Goalie from the draft this summer. This guy is capable of winning a game himself. I believe Canada is a better and deeper team. But Team USA if we run into a one game elimination. Tyler Parsons, would scare me. I saw him do it for London. He is a money Goalie that can win a medal on his own.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
If there is one major advantage Team USA has over Team Canada, it is Tyler Parsons. I had him as my best Goalie from the draft this summer. This guy is capable of winning a game himself. I believe Canada is a better and deeper team. But Team USA if we run into a one game elimination. Tyler Parsons, would scare me. I saw him do it for London. He is a money Goalie that can win a medal on his own.

He has yet to show us that this tournament. But i hope he does

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Did you miss the last game? He was the difference. Both goals were unsavable. He basically stopped every shot he had a chance on; against a team full of snipers.

All the guy does is stand on his head when it counts most. I think he is the difference if the USA wins.

suddeninterest

Aug 19, 2014
Can any USA fans comment on how Caleb Jones has played? I watched both the Slovakia and Russia games and have my own opinions, but I'm looking for some thoughts from someone who isn't necessarily an Oilers fan haha.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado

He hasn't had the chance to show it yet either. He played Latvia, which needs no explanation, and against Russia he wasn't tested much outside of their PP until the 3rd. I was actually impressed with his composure against Russia because there were long stretches in the first half of the game where he wasn't tested, and it takes a lot of focus to stay sharp, especially against an always dangerous Russian squad that will eventually get their chances, and they did.

Did you miss the last game? He was the difference. Both goals were unsavable. He basically stopped every shot he had a chance on; against a team full of snipers.

All the guy does is stand on his head when it counts most. I think he is the difference if the USA wins.

No, he wasn't. Parsons played well, and he was part of the difference, but he wasn't the difference.

The difference in that game was Samsonov because he kept his team in it when the Russians would have been down 4-5 after one period if not for him.

Last edited:

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
This D core has been really good. Some mistakes made yes but they've been so tough to go against all tournament. Playing their best game tonight against a great team.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
This D core has been really good. Some mistakes made yes but they've been so tough to go against all tournament. Playing their best game tonight against a great team.

Yeah, they've been really good, and as you said, it's been their best performance so far as well in their biggest test to date.

Now, the most important games are yet to come so they need to keep it up, but what we all (USAH included) thought was the clear weak link of the team has so far been a strength. And weirdest thing about that is McAvoy hasn't even been the best d-man. He's been good (other than his penalties), but if pre-tournament you would have been told McAvoy wasn't leading this group like Werenski or Trouba in years past, I imagine we would have all guessed the tournament wasn't going well defensively at least.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
How is Jones looking? Saw he played a team high 23 minutes tonight against Canada.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Fantastic performance by the team today. The specialty teams finally played well, and the team again largely carried the 5v5 play as they have all tournament.

They started strong, and never let Canada take over or get the crowd into it. I would have liked to see the team put the game out of reach earlier on one of the 3rd period PPs or the 3-4 breakaways, but credit is due to Ingram as he made some big saves to give his team a chance.

Both goalies were very good today. Woll was very composed in net, and did a good job staying square to the puck. Should be a tough decision for Motzko and company going into the QFs as both goalies deserve to start.

Losing Kunin was a tough blow. He hasn't been putting up points, but he's been a huge part of the team. I haven't seen timing on the hit yet (in terms of actual time elapsed), but it wasn't to the head and Kunin didn't leave his feet. It was at worst slightly late, and if that's the case, and I hate the IIHF rule, they called it by the book because Myers was injured. That shouldn't be more than a 2 minute penalty in my opinion, but it is what it is. Shouldn't even be a discussion about additional discipline, and hopefully Myers can come back next game.

That Kunin penalty could have been a turning point in the game, especially with the 5-on-3 goal because Canada got a lot of jump out of it. Post-PP was the only real sustained 5v5 dominance from Canada, but the Bracco goal ended that run after a couple of minutes.

On the player side:

• Caleb Jones had his best game yet today. He was a rock back there.
  • Defense as a whole was fantastic. A much maligned group coming in (remember the dire posts about Cal Foote choosing Canada?) and so far, they've been awesome as a group.
  • Greenway was a beast.
  • Foley is playing so soft on the puck when trying to clear the zone. He's been consistently failing to clear the zone when he gets the puck on the wall.
  • Terry goes east-west in the offensive zone when on the rush so effectively. I hope he never gets caught doing it, but man does he create good chances when he makes that move.
  • Motzko needs to get Roslovic and Thompson more ice time.
  • I imagine Canadian fans aren't too happy with Dubois. Played a lazy game and wasn't impressive or dangerous.
  • Strome is really good at the junior level, but at the WJC I only ever notice him on the PP. Interested to see how he translates his 5v5 play to the NHL.

Last edited:

Mehar

Apr 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I was down there to watch the game live, and it was a solid performance from Team USA. They were the better team today and deserved to win. Hoping these two teams can meet again in the Final. Really impressed by how Greenway played in the game. Great selection by Minnesota.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
is finland holds on and russia wins as i would expect then the US side of the bracket is USA v Switzerland and Russia v Denmark...why do i get the feeling that well have to beat both Canada and Russia twice to win gold this year...

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
is finland holds on and russia wins as i would expect then the US side of the bracket is USA v Switzerland and Russia v Denmark...why do i get the feeling that well have to beat both Canada and Russia twice to win gold this year...

I'd rather face Russia over Sweden in the semi final.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad