WC: 2017 Team Russia

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
You do realize Tkachyov is a center and Kucherov a winger?

The problem with you people is you really CAN think there is nothing to gain in a World Championship.

I am not saying Tkachev should sub for Kucherov, thats just being too picky. It is example, where you could find a more than worthy young KHL candidate to replace a reluctant NHL candidate who may be banged up after playing a much longer season (if playoffs than up to 90 games before coming!).

For many guys who already have won a world championship Malkin, Kuzy, Ovechkin etc. Do you really think they want to report? Guys in Russia see the tournament more seriously than NA people, no argument there. I think even they would be happier to see some hungry young up and coming guy take their place and get national team experience. What can a guy like 32 year old Ovechkin or Malkin gain from going to the tournament at this point in their career?

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
today win again , 2-1

Arzamastsev (Leschenko, Blazhievskiy) PP
Burdasov (Telegin, Andronov)

Really liking Burdasov, thought he used to have poor finishing skills but now he seems to have figured it out. Guy has everything else, size, skills, speed.

Good for Kareyev too.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
It looks like Flyers are off the playoffs, so we can get Provorov. Toronto is in, so not sure about Zaitsev. Tampa is in question, so it's hard to say anything about Kucherov and Vasilevsky.

I hope, Tryamkin will be invited. It looks like Zadorov is out. Not sure, I'd like to get Ovi and Kuzya, when they will out after the 1st round, but Orlov can be helpful.

By the end of April, 22 of the 30 NHL teams will have been eliminated from the SC. By the last call-up date, only about 4 teams will be left in the SC Playoffs.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
By the end of April, 22 of the 30 NHL teams will have been eliminated from the SC. By the last call-up date, only about 4 teams will be left in the SC Playoffs.

Realistic outlook is though:

eliminated

Colorado (2 Russians injured, I don't see Grigorenko as a NT asset at this point)
Arizona (not much sense talking about Burmistrov)
Vancouver (I don't see Znarok invite Tryamkin while numerous people here do)
Buffalo (Oh joy! Kulikov might get an invite... Hopefully not)

on he brink of elimination

Philadelphia (I can only hope Znarok is not THAT stupid to not invite Provorov)
Islanders (Kulemin? Actually there is no need at this point.)

might make it to the playoffs/as good as in it

Tampa (unfavorable position 3 points behind Ottawa. favorable schedule with games against Boston and Toronto in hand. I can see them make it. Kucherov is the guy I want to watch in Cologne. We don't necessarily need Vasilevsky, but he is defnitely a lock if available. We are not desperate enough for Namestnikov)

Toronto (shaky candidate with all the rookies. might march to the playoffs with confidence or lose every single game. Zaytsev is an obvious lock. Soshnikov, Marchenko I would leave out. Znarok might think otherwise. And about Kalinin he might think otherwise too. I don't want him on the team.)

Also I see Toronto and Tampa lose in the first even if they make it. Too inconsistent. Tampa rides Kucherov, that might not be enough. Totronto too inexperienced as I said earlier.

clinched, but are candidates for a first round exit

St.Louis (They beat Nashville in a fashion tonight, but Minesota might be a different animal in the playoffs. I obviously don't like what I see in STL. Goaltending is still suspect, gave away Shattenkirk, offence lives and dies with Tarasenko. Tarasenko to the rescue!)

Montreal and NYR (likely to face each other in the first. chances are even. NYR is a better team. Unless Price steals the series I can see MTL lose this one. Buchnevich(sigh! Thanks, AV! Znarok will probably not invite him) or the Radulov(questionable after his squabbles with Znarok revealed in the recent interview) Yemelin. No Markov I guess and it's a good thing. He is really too old for this stuff and has some family issues to attend. Nesterov I don't see on the NT now)

playoff warriors who face each other in the first so we do get our reward anyway:)

Pens vs. Columbus seems all but set.(Malkin or Bobrovsky. We need Malkin more. Will be the best series of the first round anyway. Bob might finally get his revenge on the Pens.)

And last but not least the "choker" Caps. I don't see them lose in the first, but who knows...

Chicago might fail as soon as in the second...

Looking past the first round doesn't seem very reasonable.

Which gives realistically:

Provorov, hopefully not Kulikov, Kucherov, Vasylevskiy, Zaytsev + Malkin or Bob

less likely

Tarasenko, (oh! I totally forgot Barbashev, but I doubt he's shown enough to get noticed yet), Yemelin, Radulov(please!) or Buchnevich(please!)

Bob and Vasylevskiy wold be overkill and sad for the young duo of Sorokin and Shestyorkin, both of whom deserve a spot.

If we get Malkin the center depth is solid for once.(Malkin, Shipachev, Prokhorkin, Tkachyov, Datsyuk with Shalunov and/or Kalinin as strong candidates for the 4th line spot)

Kucherov, Tarasenko, Radulov would be the best RW in the tournament I guess. Most realistic scenario is maybe only Kucherov. The LW would be from, the KHL completely it seems. Good news for Zaripov. He can play LW.

And Provorov - Zaytsev :handclap:

Kulikov:cry:

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
I am not saying Tkachev should sub for Kucherov, thats just being too picky. It is example, where you could find a more than worthy young KHL candidate to replace a reluctant NHL candidate who may be banged up after playing a much longer season (if playoffs than up to 90 games before coming!).

For many guys who already have won a world championship Malkin, Kuzy, Ovechkin etc. Do you really think they want to report? Guys in Russia see the tournament more seriously than NA people, no argument there. I think even they would be happier to see some hungry young up and coming guy take their place and get national team experience. What can a guy like 32 year old Ovechkin or Malkin gain from going to the tournament at this point in their career?

Every KHL player might be banged up after the season too. That has zero to do with the season length.

And if guys like Malkin don't want to report than something is very wrong with them.

What can they gain? A gold medal. Or is a player who won the Stanley Cup not willing to win it again just because he's been there and done that?

What I want to see as a fan is the best team available. It's a World Championship. A 32y.o. Ovechkin is still a better player than most in this world. I also want to see Mozyakin there. even if it's only for checking one last time if he can do anything meaningful outside of the league.

That is my dream roster:

Mozyakin - Malkin - Tarasenko
Kovalchuk - Tkachyov - Radulov
Gusev - Shipachyov - Kucherov
Zaripov - Datsyuk - Kaprizov

(Prokhorkin, Nichushkin, Kraskovskiy, Shalunov, Golyshev)

Zaytsev - Provorov
Voynov - Yemelin
Denisov - Tryamkin
Rykov - Belov

Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Shestyorkin

Alessandro Seren Rosso

Jun 21, 2004
Europe
thehockeywriters.com
The problem with you people is you really CAN think there is nothing to gain in a World Championship.

What's there to be gained? Yes, Ovechkin can gan a new mercedes, I think he has enough of them.
I think that in the WC, and even more so when it's a pre-Olympic year, only players up to 25-26 years old should play. Maybe with two or three exceptions. And no washed up NHL players, only players who stay with the team since the start.

Khokhlach86

Jul 8, 2012
Moscow
Demchenko, Provolnev, M.Vorobyov, Karpov, Leschenko, Komarov - cut
Lyubushkin, Gavrikov, Korshkov, Kraskovskiy - added

Roo Mad Bro

U havin a giggle m8?
Dec 6, 2010
PA
Igor Eronko tweeted that Ivan Provorov will play for Team Russia at the upcoming WHC. Can't post direct tweet atm.
Happy for Provorov. He has been outstanding this year. I have little doubt that he will be the #1 dman for Russia the next decade.

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
Provorov, Lyubimov, Kucherov and Vasilevskiy officialy invited.

http://www.fhr.ru/main/news/card/?id_4=13412

It would be nice if all of them are in for Team Russia... Lyubimov is great grinder, and should look good on your 4th line, just like last year, he had very good tournament. Part of the reason he got NHL contract.

I am sure that your management is going to wait for the end of the 1st round, as always, right?

What about Grigorenko, Namestnikov or Kulyomin? Zadorov will not be available due to injury, correct? Are you interested in Varlamov?

Khokhlach86

Jul 8, 2012
Moscow
What about Grigorenko, Namestnikov or Kulyomin? Zadorov will not be available due to injury, correct? Are you interested in Varlamov?

Varlamov injured (2 surgery).
Grigorenko - not interested.
Namestnikov and Kulyomin - i don't know, but I think if federation wanted call them, we would already know about it.

Bear12Good

Dec 7, 2015
Russia
It would be nice if all of them are in for Team Russia... Lyubimov is great grinder, and should look good on your 4th line, just like last year, he had very good tournament. Part of the reason he got NHL contract.

I am sure that your management is going to wait for the end of the 1st round, as always, right?

Lyubimov stay in PHI in next season?

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011

Varlamov and Zadorov are injured. Grigorenko is not nearly good enough to make the team. Kulyomin is or was injured recently, so it is doubtful he would get an invite as a veteran for some 4th line action. The 4th line queue is crowded with younger guys. Namestnikov was not invited along with his teammates, so he is not in the picture. Lyubimov is a great grinder. But do we need grinders? I would think thrice before giving him a spot.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
What about Telegin and Nichushkin?
Like their playing, especially Telegin,
but their stats with CSKA Moscow below average

Telegin is a 4th liner. If Znarok wants a 4th line of grinders, he will have him there. He adapted well after being overwhelmed in the world cup's first couple of games. Nichushkin is progressing. While he is not exactly a superstar yet he adds some size and speed. His problem will be his position. Kucherov is on the way. God forbid STL loses on the 1st and Tarasenko is available. RW is the most stacked position on the russian NT. Nichushkin will probably be on the waiting list at least until the end of the 1st round.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad