WC: 2017 Team Russia

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
OK, back to discussion about hockey.

What did you guys think of performances by Barabanov, Zub and Gavrikov?

Barabanov kinda reminds me Afinogenov. Great skater, good hands, a lot of energy, but it looks like his IQ is mostly behind his feet and hands. Afinogenov had a few really good seasons in the NHL though, so I think Barabanov could be a good NHLer as well.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
People's evaluations here are just amazing:sarcasm:

Zub was brutal. Worst d-man on the team defensively and no offence at all. Most obvious Znarok pick of a guy from his team over a half dozen better players available. Nearly every single important goal against was partually Zub's fault. I don't blame him. That's just his level.

Barabanov was nearly as useless and was again a SKA player taking away a spot from better players. His problem is and remains size. The game he plays requires size. He was being bounced around basically.

Gavrikov is the only one of the 3 who deserved his spot on the team. But again, there wasn't much offence in him.

If you have a minute, please take the time to educate us on the half dozen other defenseman who would have been better suited to pushing the Canadians around in front of the net and stopping the 3rd period surge dead cold. It will probably be obvious as soon as you mention their names that they should never have been left off, but I am anxious to see your list.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
If you have a minute, please take the time to educate us on the half dozen other defenseman who would have been better suited to pushing the Canadians around in front of the net and stopping the 3rd period surge dead cold. It will probably be obvious as soon as you mention their names that they should never have been left off, but I am anxious to see your list.

Better than Zub?

Denisov, Ozhiganov, Medvedev, Bereglazov, Tryamkin, Dyblenko, Pashnin... I cpuld go on, because it's Zub. I also on purpose left out AkBars defencemen. 3 or 4 of them at the least are better than Zub.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Better than Zub?

Denisov, Ozhiganov, Medvedev, Bereglazov, Tryamkin, Dyblenko, Pashnin... I cpuld go on, because it's Zub. I also on purpose left out AkBars defencemen. 3 or 4 of them at the least are better than Zub.

I'm not going to tout Zub, because like most of the guys you name above, he's just a typical roster filler who ends up on the blue line in order to have 7 defensemen on the team. I might agree with you on Bereglazov, who has a lot of upside potential. I love Tryamkin's size, but he can't skate, and that's a problem. Denisov has been good in the past, but Father Time is catching up with him. They are all slightly above average, but in the WC, they are just the next victims-in-wait for the next Canadian, Swedish or American forward flying into the zone. Zub is headed for the NHL this year, so let's see what, if anything, that he can do.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
I'm not going to tout Zub, because like most of the guys you name above, he's just a typical roster filler who ends up on the blue line in order to have 7 defensemen on the team. I might agree with you on Bereglazov, who has a lot of upside potential. I love Tryamkin's size, but he can't skate, and that's a problem. Denisov has been good in the past, but Father Time is catching up with him. They are all slightly above average, but in the WC, they are just the next victims-in-wait for the next Canadian, Swedish or American forward flying into the zone. Zub is headed for the NHL this year, so let's see what, if anything, that he can do.

:laugh: That's for the bolded part.

Tryamkin can skate. Denisov is still better than Zub. And again, half the russian AkBars defencemen are better than Zub(and I am NOT claiming they should be on the NT). His only "skill" that got him on the team was being a SKA player.

Botta

Jul 12, 2010
Well if Russia and Norway meets i allways root for Russia. Sounds maybe strange but i was so deeply effectec as and 11 year boy when i first saw them and it will allway be that way. Of course Norway playing against other team i root for them

My father said later i liked their deep red CCCP jersey and i guess it started there but i soon become sort of and expert allway writing down who scored and had assist (remember this was before internett og mobil Phones) and was pretty mad according my mother :) When they lost in 1985 WC i did not go to school for 3 days and when i did i hade a black armlet showing my suffering to everyone...
I was a litle boy but i soon understood that what i saw on tv once in a year was something special.

Of course getting older knowing more how Soviet controlled their players made you look at everything a litle different but it was for sure a thing of beauty that i am afraid we will never see again at that level.

Since i have nothing to do right now other that listening to my wife screaming about somthing i dont understand (to all young guys here never get married :) ) i like to share a story from 1987

I dont remember the name but there was a Euro cup where CSKA played in a group with one norwegin clup, one danish and the last one i dont remember
All 3 games where to the played in Norway and i ocurse went to see all of them
As you guys know CSKA at that time was CCCP ...i was in transe sitting so close to the rink that i could hear Makarov screaming to Kasatonov after a bad pass.

Well after the 3 game on sunday i went outside waiting for the players and managed to get the whole KLM line sign a photo of all 5 of them. We were told they were poor and did not get anyting from playing hockey so i had a casette (looong time before cd) with Michal Jacksons Bad album i think i was. I asked Larinov if i could get his stick in change for the casette and he (he spoke a litle bit English) asked if i had Pet Shop Boys hehe which i did not so i he said no but you could feel he was a very likeable person.

Then i went into their bus ( i was 16 at that time) and that moment i will never forget
Most of the players where there and angry stone faced looked at me thinking what the hell is he doing there. I turn to my right and there was Makarov. I guess he rememebered me from earlier when he signed the photo and smiled and said something which i understood meant you have to get out. I turned around and there is Tichonov...that look he gave me shall i never forget. I went out fast as i could.

When i was leaving i saw the bus was still standing there and as i went for a stairway taking me up to the where the subway was i saw 3 guys standing for them selfe talking. It was Bykov, Khomotov and Kamensky (the whole line keeping together also outside the rink) I decided to just give the cassete to them but Bykov and Khomotov said polite no but Kamensky said yes and in return he gave me a pin (the one you put in you shirt or caps) with they logo and name for Sparta Praha ( i guess he had gotten it when thay played against them)

As i was leaving standing on the top of the stairway i shouted " Hey Bykov " and all of them turn and smiled and wawed to me

I did not sleep for the next 6 months :) ( to this day i still have the pin but i sadly lost the poster where the KLM signed stupid me)

Funny you say this because my team stayed at the same hotel as CSKA that weekend(CSKA beat VÃ¥lerenga 5-0 i that tournament) We ate breakfast with them and some of the guys on my team got their picture taken with Makarov:)

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
:laugh: That's for the bolded part.

Tryamkin can skate. Denisov is still better than Zub. And again, half the russian AkBars defencemen are better than Zub(and I am NOT claiming they should be on the NT). His only "skill" that got him on the team was being a SKA player.

I know! !

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad