Speculation: 2017 Offseason Thread - Part II: Drafts Galore

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Oscar Lindberg got 2x1.7M.

He's a year older than Ritchie and has two seasons under his belt with >60 GP in each.

Could be a decent comparable. I still think Ritchie comes in under 1.5M.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
The Texas Stars signing Greg Rallo virtually guarantees Dallas will carry 14 forwards and 7 defenders. The Texas Stars are over max capacity with veteran players. The AHL will not allow them to play more than 5 at a time, and they have 6 with Rallo. That's before you potentially would have waived and stashed Flynn. This means, unless a trade happens, McKenzie, Pitlick, Cracknell, and Flynn should all be on the NHL roster. If you carry 14 forwards, you can only carry 7 defenders.

Best case scenario at this point ... hopefully you get a late round pick out of 2 of Nemeth, Oleksiak, and Pateryn. The other would be your #7.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Oscar Lindberg got 2x1.7M.

He's a year older than Ritchie and has two seasons under his belt with >60 GP in each.

Could be a decent comparable. I still think Ritchie comes in under 1.5M.

Ritchie has 22 goals in 117 games, and Lindberg has 21 in 134 games. I'd say more than likely they'd have similar contracts. Oscar has more assists and overall points, but goals is the most important part of Ritchie's games. Oscar also hasn't played that many more games than Ritchie.

If Ritchie comes in below Lindbgerg on a two year deal, that would be pretty nice.

________

Feb 6, 2006
Nill is on NHL tonight (NHL Network) at 6:20 pm, replayed at 7:20pm, 9:20 pm more times as well.

Last edited:

defensorfidei

Jun 4, 2014
So since Ritchie didnt file for arbitration does that mean the contract is likely to be lower or higher.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Faksa's contract leaves 56.5M committed for 18-19 and 32.9M for 19-20.

Next summer brings raises for Janmark, Shore, Johns. Re-sign Roussel? Replace Hamhuis and Lehtonen. Sign a few lads to replace the likes of McKenzie, Cracknell and Flynn if necessary.

Hopefully we soon have Pateryn/Nemeth/Oleksiak sorted out.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
I wondered if signing Nemeth first meant anything. Either he was easiest and most likely to be shipped out, or he was considered a valuable piece, and Oleksiak is out, probably demanding too much for Nill's tastes.

At least, I would favor Nemeth over Jamie. We will see what happens, but I think we get a fourth or fifth rounder for him from a bottom dweller team soon, and they will be hoping a change of scenery brings out the best in him.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
I wondered if signing Nemeth first meant anything. Either he was easiest and most likely to be shipped out, or he was considered a valuable piece, and Oleksiak is out, probably demanding too much for Nill's tastes.

At least, I would favor Nemeth over Jamie. We will see what happens, but I think we get a fourth or fifth rounder for him from a bottom dweller team soon, and they will be hoping a change of scenery brings out the best in him.

It meant Nemeth realizes that his QO pays him more than he's worth.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
I doubt that, LOL, but would admit he knows he has no negotiation power. Of course, JO should know that, too, and is still not signed for the standard offer. Just wondering what it means.

Nemeth was said to be disgruntled more than others last year (according to Heika) but signed quickly. Perhaps Nill told him he would treat him fairly and trade him but he would need to be under contract. Or, perhaps he was informed that he would be no worse than the 7th D man. Who knows.

Ditto with JO, who signed a one year "show me" deal last year and was given little opportunity to show anything. He might be the more disgruntled one, ask for more money, a trade, whatever. Time will tell.

However, at the moment, there is no money under the cap left to sign Jamie, and it makes little sense to trade and sign so many guys before him if the plans are to jettison them and keep Jamie. I have to believe Nill is taking care of those he wants to take care of first, but again, time will tell. Certainly, Nemeth was less valuable than Ritchie or Faksa.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
I doubt that, LOL, but would admit he knows he has no negotiation power. Of course, JO should know that, too, and is still not signed for the standard offer. Just wondering what it means.

Nemeth was said to be disgruntled more than others last year (according to Heika) but signed quickly. Perhaps Nill told him he would treat him fairly and trade him but he would need to be under contract. Or, perhaps he was informed that he would be no worse than the 7th D man. Who knows.

Ditto with JO, who signed a one year "show me" deal last year and was given little opportunity to show anything. He might be the more disgruntled one, ask for more money, a trade, whatever. Time will tell.

However, at the moment, there is no money under the cap left to sign Jamie, and it makes little sense to trade and sign so many guys before him if the plans are to jettison them and keep Jamie. I have to believe Nill is taking care of those he wants to take care of first, but again, time will tell. Certainly, Nemeth was less valuable than Ritchie or Faksa.
I think you might be reading a bit much into it

There is bound to be players that are sitting against our cap currently that'll be waived for the AHL.
We have 768k currently. if we sign JO (if) someone would need to be waived as we'd have a roster of 24.
I'd almost bet we won't carry 14 forwards either. So we'll see at least 1 forward(Flynn or McKenzie), and 1 defenseman likely get waived.
Texas can assign players to Idaho, some some of the vets they signed will likely end up there(Not sure on the ECHL rule for vets and what not)

Assuming they go 13 and 8, they'd have a sliver of cap space (lets say JO gets Nemeth money 945k)
They would be 200k over the cap, with a 24 man roster, Flyn likely going to the AHL means they'd have around 500k in space at 23.
If they were to waive someone like say Pateryn too (worst of the entire NHL group)
they'd be right 1.3mil in space and at 13-7-2.
I'd have to think Nemeth is the most likely to be traded/waived at this point though as he's the highest paid of the pathetic 3 (at least currently).
I'd think Nill would try and find a home for the Likes of Nemeth and Pateryn and get another waiver exempt d-man to be the 8th. so he could be assigned down to texas to be off the cap.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
They better not do the 8 defensemen thing again. We need Honka and those dumb defensemen are more expensive than our waiver fodder forwards. Can't take that risk this close to the cap.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010

Nemeth signed his QO, so that was Nemeth's choice, not Nill.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010

We can go 10% over during the offseason (e.g. Toronto). Once we trim down the defense to 7 (please) defenders, we'll be under.

Won't have a ton of cap space to work with for the rest of the year, though. Gotta hope we don't suffer through another plague of injuries.

razor ray

May 8, 2011
Since the roster is set for 2017-2018 what offseason grade are you giving Nill?

My grade: A

G-Bishop/Oettinger

LHD-Methot/Heiskanen

RW-Radulov/Robertson

C-Hanzal

The desperate need was a LHD and Goalie.....check and check. Dallas also needed help at RW....check. Hanzal was a nice pickup for forward depth as well. A #1LHD, #1RW, and a #1G for basically the loss of a 2019 2nd round pick and a 2017 4th. Also 3 great prospects.

Without giving away the farm, I'm not sure how Nill could of done any better.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Me neither, but you know how it is around here....some wild hypothetical deal that "should have" been made will get bantered about. I agree, however, that Nill got the best of who was available at each position, price included.

Bishop for a 4th and a team friendly contract? Who would you rather have had? Maybe Darling.

Two years of a no. 1 pairing LHD under $5M? For two assets that may never amount to anything? Maybe over pay Shatty, who would only go to NYR or Alzner. Not thatnks.

Top UFA RW, paid fairly, at slightly too long a term. Maybe Justin Williams, but Radu is better.

Second line Center in UFA. Perfect. Replaces Fiddler and other PK talent that had departed.

Draft Miro, Otter and Roberson? Just the way I predicted it would happen (well, Robertson fills my ask for best remaining forward that fell out of the first round)

Yea, a few will gripe he should have gone for smaller, faster players, never picked a goalie in round 1, etc. And, time will certainly tell.

He did his job. The team looks good on paper. Hopefully, they gel and look as good on the ice!

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
It meant Nemeth realizes that his QO pays him more than he's worth.

This. 100%.

Regarding Oleksiak not signing, I can't remember the date, but if he doesn't sign by a set date this summer, the QO expires, and Dallas still retains his rights. There's virtually no chance he allows that to happen. My guess is his agent is pressuring Dallas to make a move, and they'll at least hope for that option before taking the QO. If he doesn't ultimately sign the QO, he's leaving hundreds of thousands of dollars on the table. Not signing it does nothing to help his situation. It only cost him money.

This is just a guess, but teams allow players/agents to try and work out trades. As a free agent, even though he is restricted, he's able to talk to those teams. It would not shock me if he or his agent is telling teams they'd sign for less money should that team work out a trade with Dallas. That's his only reasonable play ... and it's the only reasonable situation I see him taking less money. By taking a pay cut, he could in theory have some say in where he ends up. If he takes the money, he and his agent both know he'll either end up on waivers or the highest bidder.

The hitch for that ever working is Nill ... he's obviously in the past set a high, high cost to trading Oleksiak or Nemeth. If he had received an offer that he believed was fair value, they wouldn't still be here. If he's demanding a 3rd for example and doesn't come off of it ... it's going to be impossible to probably make a trade before the QO expires. It's essentially the only leverage Nill and Oleksiak have right now. I would imagine most teams would prefer to just take a chance at him on waivers ... but you never know.

captainmike

Jul 10, 2010
Which of these was the most positive off-season development?

A. Acquiring Bishop
B. Acquiring Radulov and Hanzal
C. Getting the 3 OA pick and drafting Miro

Last edited:

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
The only way this offseason could be any better is when we manage to turn Nemeth or Pateryn (I actually like Oleksiak) into a pick or two. Maybe add Shore and aim for a decent top 9 winger. We've been through enough chances as it is, though, so I'm nitpicking. I was never more stoked for a season to begin!

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Since the roster is set for 2017-2018 what offseason grade are you giving Nill?

My grade: A

G-Bishop/Oettinger

LHD-Methot/Heiskanen

RW-Radulov/Robertson

C-Hanzal

The desperate need was a LHD and Goalie.....check and check. Dallas also needed help at RW....check. Hanzal was a nice pickup for forward depth as well. A #1LHD, #1RW, and a #1G for basically the loss of a 2019 2nd round pick and a 2017 4th. Also 3 great prospects.

Without giving away the farm, I'm not sure how Nill could of done any better.

This is a silly idea, you can't judge any of this yet really.

With that said, Nill did a pretty great job of fitting past difference makers into the cap space we had.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Im going with C. Long term we could possibly have our #1 Dman for years

Interesting choice. Its like Xmas, the unopened gift is always more exciting than the open one. If your criteria is long term, good choice.

If your criteria was help rebuilding the team next year, the other two choices are more obvious. Its not like we aren't going to have our goalie and RW for at least 3 good years, possibly 5 if health and aging don't creep up faster than normal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad