Speculation: 2017 Offseason Thread - Part II: Drafts Galore

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Well I don't think it's that much of a stretch. I mean on paper, the 2015-2016 season ranks 4th all time in points, and 3rd in wins.

Leaving aside the 2 punctuation mistakes in that blurb, make the argument that it was "maybe the best" regular season. What you've got here is evidence that it wasn't the best, plus there's the pesky shootout giving out a bunch of charity points. They got to 114 with ties for goodness sake.

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
2 presidents trophy seasons vs 11 points back of Washington

Did I not say on paper? Nor did I agree with the poster. Just saying it's not that much of a stretch to say it's "one" of the best given the point total and win total they put up.

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
Leaving aside the 2 punctuation mistakes in that blurb, make the argument that it was "maybe the best" regular season. What you've got here is evidence that it wasn't the best, plus there's the pesky shootout giving out a bunch of charity points. They got to 114 with ties for goodness sake.

Read my previous reply to Satan.

And did you just correct me on a mistake on a forum... lol. Geez bud.

Last edited:

Benneguin

Original Recipe
May 26, 2015
I wonder if that guy ranks the '13-'14 Avs team as maybe their best team ever? It happened more recently than their last cup champion so it must be better by default.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
So Markov reportedly not going back to Montreal.

He spent a lot of time with Radulov last season off the ice and to be honest i think he helped Radulov a ton.

He was a legit top 4 guy last season, and is in a good shape.

To me it makes sense for the Stars to buy out Lehtonen and Hamhuis, trade rights to Oleksiak for Hutchinson (our 3rd goalie atm, serviceable backup), then sign Markov for something like 3 years 3M-4M per.

Lehtonen & Hamhuis buyout cap hits combined:

17-18: 4.983.334M
18-19: 2.333.334M

Hutchinson cap hit:

17-18: 1.150.000M

Cap space for 17-18: 5.434.999M (14 forwards, 7-dmen, 2 goalies) - enough to sign Markov, bring up Honka if he's ready, have 14+8+2 on the roster and ~1M in cap space for breathing room.

Buyout cap hits for 18-19: 3.833.334M (Niemi included, all off the books in 19-20 so it's very manageable, especially because you guys don't have any big signings in the near future)

Defense for the next 3 years:

Lindell - Klingberg (LHD & RHD)
Methot - Honka (LHD & RHD)
Markov - Johns (LHD & RHD)
Nemeth - Pateryn (LHD & RHD)

Pretty sure Markov can also play the right side if needed.

What do you guys think ?

Last edited:

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
No thanks. Hamhuis is also a legit top 4 guy who makes less and doesn't need to be signed for 2-3 years. When he goes out, Heiskanen comes in as well.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I mean, your idea is crazy but the buyout window is over bud

Stars have another 48 hour window after Oleksiak's situation is resolved.

EDIT: damn, apparently Lehtonen can't be bought out during that window because his cap hit is too big. Oh well.

No thanks. Hamhuis is also a legit top 4 guy who makes less and doesn't need to be signed for 2-3 years. When he goes out, Heiskanen comes in as well.

My bad then. I thought Hamhuis is on the decline, but perhaps i underestimated him. Although still think Markov is an upgrade.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Stars have another 48 hour window after Oleksiak's situation is resolved.

EDIT: damn, apparently Lehtonen can't be bought out during that window because his cap hit is too big. Oh well.

My bad then. I thought Hamhuis is on the decline, but perhaps i underestimated him. Although still think Markov is an upgrade.

We gave Gonchar 2 years and it didn't exactly work, hard to imagine Nill making that same gamble again.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
So Markov reportedly not going back to Montreal.

He spent a lot of time with Radulov last season off the ice and to be honest i think he helped Radulov a ton.

He was a legit top 4 guy last season, and is in a good shape.

To me it makes sense for the Stars to buy out Lehtonen and Hamhuis, trade rights to Oleksiak for Hutchinson (our 3rd goalie atm, serviceable backup), then sign Markov for something like 3 years 3M-4M per.

Lehtonen & Hamhuis buyout cap hits combined:

17-18: 4.983.334M
18-19: 2.333.334M

Hutchinson cap hit:

17-18: 1.150.000M

Cap space for 17-18: 5.434.999M (14 forwards, 7-dmen, 2 goalies) - enough to sign Markov, bring up Honka if he's ready, have 14+8+2 on the roster and ~1M in cap space for breathing room.

Buyout cap hits for 18-19: 3.833.334M (Niemi included, all off the books in 19-20 so it's very manageable, especially because you guys don't have any big signings in the near future)

Defense for the next 3 years:

Lindell - Klingberg (LHD & RHD)
Methot - Honka (LHD & RHD)
Markov - Johns (LHD & RHD)
Nemeth - Pateryn (LHD & RHD)

Pretty sure Markov can also play the right side if needed.

What do you guys think ?

Hamhuis took about 1.5-2 months to settle in but then was our best defensive D and when Klingberg was struggling was straight up our best D. Buying him out this year makes us objectively worse and leaves us with dead cap.

Our team is mostly set and the thought of making trades but still entering the season with 8 D makes me physically ill.

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011
Something like

Benn - Seguin - Radulov
Janmark - Hanzal - Spezza
Roussel - Faksa - Ritchie
Shore - Cracknell - Pitlick
Flynn/Mckenzie

Personally I'd switch Radulov and Spezza. If Hanzal is supposed to be facing top competition then I don't want Spezza out there with him, Radulov had pretty good suppression stats last year and I'd feel more comfortable with him out there.

Benneguin

Original Recipe
May 26, 2015
Personally I'd switch Radulov and Spezza. If Hanzal is supposed to be facing top competition then I don't want Spezza out there with him, Radulov had pretty good suppression stats last year and I'd feel more comfortable with him out there.

I'd feel more comfortable if we played our best playmakers in their natural positions. Hanzal is an average at best 2C and he's not a playmaker. He would be great on the third line along with Faksa. Spezza didn't look good on the wing last year and I doubt he'll get any better playing out of position learning Hitch's more restrictive system.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Bad news for Oleksiak, Nemeth, and Pateryn, but probably good news for fans, Hitch doesn't want a D rotation. He wants to stick with his 6D, and the 7th guy is expected to be a team player, ready to go if needed.

It's potentially bad news for Johns though obviously. I may be overly optimistic about a bounce back from him, but if he starts slow, that could turn into a 4 man race.

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
Bad news for Oleksiak, Nemeth, and Pateryn, but probably good news for fans, Hitch doesn't want a D rotation. He wants to stick with his 6D, and the 7th guy is expected to be a team player, ready to go if needed.

It's potentially bad news for Johns though obviously. I may be overly optimistic about a bounce back from him, but if he starts slow, that could turn into a 4 man race.

I think it's safe to say JO is traded and Nemeth is waived. Pateryn can be an olympic box press filler

Johns should be able to hold down the last spot on the right side, but time will tell

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad