2017 NHL Draft Part III (June 23-24)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
:handclap::handclap:

Very good haul.

I like it

Nice. I am not wild about Martin, but I like the others, especially Chytil and Zhukov

Ouch though, Chmelevski was the next pick. Still good though.

This would be a step in the right direction.............. With many more steps needed. But, I like it!!

Thanks guys.

As for Martin, I think he is pretty project-able into a 3rd pairing role in the NHL. He has good size and a good skater for his size. His defensive IQ is actually pretty good and I really like how he combines his poise with good gap control and a long reach. The offensive upside is limited as he doesn't do anything particularly well in the offensive zone, but he has room to improve his shot. Safe 3rd round pick before I targeted some boom/bust types.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I know, and I've seen the charts or graphics showing that it is, but like I say, it would be a bold move.

thin line between bold and bad, I guess. If we're trading up into the first, I would really hope it's to grab someone who is falling, like Liljegren or if we're reaching then Brannstrom. If we can walk out of the first round with Necas/Petterson and Liljegren/Brannstrom, I'll be very happy with this draft.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I wouldnt mind wings picking anyone of Norris, Thomas, Lind or Marcus Davidsson in the 2nd or later. Would love it actually, though there's almost no chance Robert Thomas drops but hey...

I want Rob Thomas so we can play Matchbox Twenty songs when he scores.

theD86

Winging it
Jun 23, 2007
Columbus, Ohio
An NHL insider is saying he believes the Wings are trying to get another first round pick:

Get ready for some potentially off-the-wall selections.

One team source told me it wouldn’t surprising to see teams in the top 10 call timeouts before making their picks. Expect selections go sideways and they’ll need extra time to rethink plans.

Then there are the wild-card scenarios.

Does Minnesota try to get in the first round?

We keep hearing Detroit may be looking to add another first-round selection, perhaps to take a goalie.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
The pessimist in me is suddenly ready for AA/Mantha to get sent off so we can take McCollum.2. The realist is just disgusted by the idea of taking a goalie in the first.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
An NHL insider is saying he believes the Wings are trying to get another first round pick:

Get ready for some potentially off-the-wall selections.

One team source told me it wouldn’t surprising to see teams in the top 10 call timeouts before making their picks. Expect selections go sideways and they’ll need extra time to rethink plans.

Then there are the wild-card scenarios.

Does Minnesota try to get in the first round?

We keep hearing Detroit may be looking to add another first-round selection, perhaps to take a goalie.

Source?

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
I wonder if the goalie is Michael DiPietro - he's not rated as a sure first rounder afaik, but Jim Bedard was goalie coach of the Windsor Spitfires this past season after being fired by the Red Wings (in favor of Petr Mrazek's personal coach IIRC). Assuming Bedard and the Wings are still on friendly terms Holland and the Scouting Staff have the best inside knowledge on the kid. He had a stand out Memorial Cup, going 4-0 with a 2.00 GAA that put him in a greater spotlight and might have caused him to move up some boards where the Spits think they need to get a late first for him.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
Oh ya let's just give away a 25 year potential star goalie for free so we can spend assets to draft an unknown goalie with a first round pick. Holland you really are a genius. Starting to not care about this team cause I'm so disgusted with the managements decisions

snailderby

Jul 10, 2010
1. I hope we don't take a goalie in the first round.

2. I consolidated draft rankings from Bob McKenzie, Craig Button, HockeyProspect.com, ISS, Future Considerations, McKeen's, and The Hockey News for 50-60 prospects, averaging out the rankings after throwing out the highest and lowest outliers.

Last edited:

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Yeah there's no way I'd take a goalie in the first. I'd love another first round pick though. It seems that one of Valimaki, Liljegren or Brannstrom will be around into the late teens. I honestly like all three of those guys as much as Makar (more for Lily and Brannstrom) and would be really happy with a first round that included one of them and Necas.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I don't see the Wings drafting a goalie until later in the draft.

While I am typically against it, I have had the come to Jesus realization over the last three days that our organizational depth at goalie is really ****ing poor, especially if Pete is on the outs come hell or high water as Khan suggests.

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
While I am typically against it, I have had the come to Jesus realization over the last three days that our organizational depth at goalie is really ****ing poor, especially if Pete is on the outs come hell or high water as Khan suggests.

I like larsson the most. But he's still a long shot. Next I don't even know, Paterson?

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
God I hope we don't trade up for a goalie, I'd rather trade up to a late first to snag a Hague or a Rob Tom. I'd be fine with a second - was hoping we'd use one of our thirds on a netminder.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I like the goalie options. Just give me one of Primeau, Zhukov, Eriksson Ek, Luukkonen, DiPietro in rounds 3-5.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Oh ya let's just give away a 25 year potential star goalie for free so we can spend assets to draft an unknown goalie with a first round pick. Holland you really are a genius. Starting to not care about this team cause I'm so disgusted with the managements decisions

I'm thinking Mrazek doesn't get taken in the expansion draft. But I could easily see Detroit retaining 1M on Mrazek, flipping him for a 2nd or 3rd, and then using that or one of their other bonus picks for a goaltender.

I'll be pissed if they take a goalie in the 1st round, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad