2017 NHL Draft Part III (June 23-24)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
I like the goalie options. Just give me one of Primeau, Zhukov, Eriksson Ek, Luukkonen, DiPietro in rounds 3-5.

Yea I expect them to use one of their 4 3rd round picks on a goalie. Would be happy with any of these guys

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I'll be pissed if they take a goalie in the 1st round, though.

I'm quite sure that will never happen again.

Tom McCollum learned a lesson and Jim Nill aren't making those draft mistakes anymore.

Other organizations are also very goalie sceptical nowadays. You just don't know the mental side at entry-draft age. People will change during the years.

Like, all these Mrazek problems are full mental, guy turned to be a headcase for some reason. Was it predictable 7 years ago? When goalie loses his head, he will lose everything.

No-brainer draft tactic is to use lower gamble round picks for goalie gambles.

Last edited:

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
I'd be fine with Petruzzelli...got to see him in person a few times and like him a bunch

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Elliotte Friedman retweeted the final rankings from a consulting group:

DCzv7DxWAAADhgW.jpg:large

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
First thought is Mikey Anderson is ridiculously high on that list at 32 overall, I just snagged him at pick 100 in a mock draft. Really weird list

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
^ that takes the cake for the most random list I've seen. I like lists that are different but this one I'm not a fan of

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Elliotte Friedman retweeted the final rankings from a consulting group:

DCzv7DxWAAADhgW.jpg:large

These seem very, very odd.

I'll trust the TSN guys over Sportnet guys any day. Vesalainen at 3?? Tippett at 4? Brannstrom at 6? Pettersson that low?

PO Joseph 86? Chytil and Lipanov that low?

I can make a better list than this.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
It's a weird list but probably not so different compared to some actual team lists. Basically, they rank the guys the really like high and guys who they don't like end up dropping a lot compared to the consensus. If they don't like a guy, maybe like Patrick here, he still has to be ranked so he fits in at 5 after the guys they really like.

I think Pronman had Necas & Pettersson in the late-teens too.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
It's a weird list but probably not so different compared to some actual team lists. Basically, they rank the guys the really like high and guys who they don't like end up dropping a lot compared to the consensus. If they don't like a guy, maybe like Patrick here, he still has to be ranked so he fits in at 5 after the guys they really like.

I think Pronman had Necas & Pettersson in the late-teens too.

Yeah, there is a ton of subjective projection when it comes to drafting 18-year-olds into the NHL and MLB. I understand that people are, but they really should not be shocked by lists like this, especially after the first 15-20 picks. Ask yourself this: if you genuinely thought that Pettersson would not be able to gain more the 20lbs without affecting his mobility, where would you rank him? If you honestly thought that Vilardi's skating would prevent him from ever playing center in the NHL, where would you rank him? Those are two pretty obvious examples of why opinions of players would radically vary. Furthermore, there is no way to know on draft day how those two variables will shake out in the end. You just make educated guesses based upon past experience.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
They're the results from a consulting group. For all we know, they could be using a proprietary algorithim that has nothing to do with actual scouting to churn out their list. I could see where teams would pay to have such a list as a reference point, but not necessarily as their draft day list.

Mijatovic

Jan 23, 2014
Western Australia
These seem very, very odd.

I'll trust the TSN guys over Sportnet guys any day. Vesalainen at 3?? Tippett at 4? Brannstrom at 6? Pettersson that low?

PO Joseph 86? Chytil and Lipanov that low?

I can make a better list than this.

Based on collective internet think tank and without having seen any of them play? Not shocking you think you can do better.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Pronman thinks the Devils are going to take Makar. Dreger thinks they will take Hischier. I think there's still at least a decent chance they take Patrick.

This draft should be a lot of fun to watch tomorrow. Bob Mac also said Dallas is really looking to trade down from 3, as their focus is more on the now. Think there will be a lot of movement of picks.

Really looking forward to it, and hope we take someone I like.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
My prediction for tomorrow is that the Wings trade down from 9 to 12 or 13 and take someone that none of us are expecting. I am thinking Foote, Timmins, POJ or Vaakanaien. I also predict that this board will go nuts when we pass on a semi-obvious faller like Liljgren.

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
My prediction for tomorrow is that the Wings trade down from 9 to 12 or 13 and take someone that none of us are expecting. I am thinking Foote, Timmins, POJ or Vaakanaien. I also predict that this board will go nuts when we pass on a semi-obvious faller like Liljgren.
Liljegren will definitely be this year's Chychrun.... :cry:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Trading down for Suzuki or Valimaki would be AOK with me. That's about it.

Foote would be decent.

Skeptical of Timmins, and I don't think POJ or Vaakanainen go in the top 20.

We will see!

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Pronman's top 100 was posted earlier today.

Here are his top ten picks for the 2017 draft

1 Nico Hischier C Halifax QMJHL
2 Nolan Patrick C Brandon WHL
3 Gabriel Vilardi C Windsor OHL
4 Cody Glass C Portland WHL
5 Nick Suzuki C Owen Sound OHL
6 Owen Tippett RW Mississauga OHL
7 Eeli Tolvanen RW Sioux City USHL
8 Miro Heiskanen D HIFK Liiga
9 Klim Kostin C/LW Dynamo Moscow KHL
10 Kristian Vesalainen LW/RW Frolunda SHL

Timothy Liljegren was 13th.

Four wingers in the 6-10 range is rather frightening.

I take Heiskanen if he drops to 9th. 2nd choice would be Timothy Liljegren.

The Wings are going to have the worst blue line in the NHL when Green leaves. Well they already do, but it's gonna be even worse. Drafting centers with 2nd line potential doesn't strike me as being very useful and drafting wingers would just be dumb.

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
My prediction is the Wings draft Martin Necas or Lias Andersson.

Orthodox Caveman

Sep 12, 2006
Watching footage of Necas, I'm not very impressed. He seems sound overall except he doesn't seem to have any finishing ability....then again I'm no scout :( Anyone else feel that way? I also think most of the forwards projected to go before #9OA are kinda meh..Glass and Mittelstadt have nice hands though.

I'm really hoping we take Pettersson, he seems to have that elite level skill we need. Interested to see if they take a chance on Liljegren.

Despite the problems the Red Wings have I still think they draft quite well and can get the steal of the top 10. We just need more elite picks....which we'll have better shots at the next several seasons.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Trading down for Suzuki or Valimaki would be AOK with me. That's about it.

Foote would be decent.

Skeptical of Timmins, and I don't think POJ or Vaakanainen go in the top 20.

We will see!

I secretly hope that two of Suzuki, Tippet, Andersson or Rasmussen get picked in the top 8. That would make me a super happy camper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad