Speculation: 2017-2018 Trade Rumors Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZzZz

Dec 22, 2017
Yeah I'd rather not waste what getzlaf has left on draft picks.

I'm for trading silfverberg because I don't think he brings enough offensive reliability or psychological stability in a top six role. I'd try and move him for a similarly valued top six player whose strengths are more offensive than defensive. I don't know if that trade exists.

I think we would still need a RW who can play beside Kesler, who would ideally be at least decent defensively. I'm not comfortable with Perry on the shutdown line, and I would like to give Kase an offensive role after using him as a human speed bag in the corners all season long (if we actually are shaking our system up). Maybe someone like Hornqvist if Pittsburgh wants to move his 4 mill contract for Silfverberg who would likely be a bit more affordable.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
At this point, Kesler should not even be in the teams plans. If he comes back productive eventually, okay great. But it's a long shot

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
The only thing with this Kesler info is that it came from Friedman. When was he ever been right about anything Ducks related? He has been more miss than hit with the Ducks the past few years.

That said I do believe it but Friedman is turning into a guy I don't trust as much as I once did.

Reactions: Dmang714

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
The only thing with this Kesler info is that it came from Friedman. When was he ever been right about anything Ducks related? He has been more miss than hit with the Ducks the past few years.

That said I do believe it but Friedman is turning into a guy I don't trust as much as I once did.
I agree with you when it comes to his speculation on deals/free agents, but this is a very random/obscure piece of information that would be pointless to make up or exaggerate.

Oct 18, 2011
That's what you do if you're lacking for prospects. We aren't. We're currently lacking for roster players.
When you're our position committing that type of money to a player like Silf doesn't make alot of sense right now.

Also if you start signaling a rebuild of sorts perhaps then Perry as an example is willing to accept a trade somewhere

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
When you're our position committing that type of money to a player like Silf doesn't make alot of sense right now.

Also if you start signaling a rebuild of sorts perhaps then Perry as an example is willing to accept a trade somewhere
It makes plenty of sense. The team isn't going to burn it all down and tank for the next few seasons. This team is already struggling in the market even with regular playoff showings. That's only going to get worse if they start trading away useful players for draft picks.

If they rebuild, it'll be on the fly like the last time.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
It makes plenty of sense. The team isn't going to burn it all down and tank for the next few seasons. This team is already struggling in the market even with regular playoff showings. That's only going to get worse if they start trading away useful players for draft picks.

If they rebuild, it'll be on the fly like the last time.

The thing is, this team is eventually headed to a re-tool or a rebuild regardless, so while signing guys like Silfverberg and/or Henrique long term might keep the team "competitive", it might also just prolong the inevitable. It might be easier to just bite the bullet and be done with it. For example, if we're hovering around the .500 mark at next year's TDL, there's no doubt in my mind that both Silfverberg and Henrique need to go for futures.

Managing the prospect pool is this team's number one priority ATM. We have to find successors for Getzlaf, Perry and Kesler, plus we have to keep the pipeline of defensemen going, as we're likely going to lose one of the current top-4 again in the 2020 Seattle expansion (or alternatively pay through the nose in futures to keep all of them). The right side of our defense is especially weak...

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
The thing is, this team is eventually headed to a re-tool or a rebuild regardless, so while signing guys like Silfverberg and/or Henrique long term might keep the team "competitive", it might also just prolong the inevitable. It might be easier to just bite the bullet and be done with it. For example, if we're hovering around the .500 mark at next year's TDL, there's no doubt in my mind that both Silfverberg and Henrique need to go for futures.

Managing the prospect pool is this team's number one priority ATM. We have to find successors for Getzlaf, Perry and Kesler, plus we have to keep the pipeline of defensemen going, as we're likely going to lose one of the current top-4 again in the 2020 Seattle expansion (or alternatively pay through the nose in futures to keep all of them). The right side of our defense is especially weak...
If we are a middle of the road team we need to be stockpiling picks or this retool could be 5 years of mediocrity. We just dont have that elite defensemen or center that we need coming out of the other side of a retool and the only way we are going to get that is through picks or paying for a guy like tavarares. We need some franchise pieces to build around just like Getzlaf was last time.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia

We are not going to gut the team to rebuild. I repeat, this will be done on the fly, because a team like ours has no choice but to do so.

Also, with Kesler's future in doubt, our top priority needs to be signing Henrique to a deal with some term. If we can't get that done, then you look at trade options.

Finally, color me skeptical that the people wanting this team tank are going to patiently sit by without complaint while that happens.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Ducks don't need a full rebuild yet. They need a new f***ing coach and GM.

The defense is all homegrown and under 27 years old on reasonable contracts. They have a top 5 goalie in the world.

Next year will be wasted on RC, which is just ludicrous but after that I actually don't think we're in that bad of shape. I look at Sam Steel and I think he's going to be way better than most people here do. I know he's a kid and he's not going to be Barzal but that kid can be a 2C and replace Kesler's old production (minus the defense) in a couple years probably. Nothing about the kids junior career suggests he won't be a very good NHL player. It's not a guarantee but I feel as confident about him panning out as I have about a Ducks forward prospect in some time

Guys like Terry, Comtois, and Jones are wild cards. We really need one or two of them to pan into something though

Hell, this team is probably a Gibson/Getzlaf big injury next year away from landing Hughes or another blue chip player.

I'm going into next season realizing it will be a transitional year with an eye towards 2019-2020.

Last edited:
Reactions: Paul4587

darkwingduck

Nov 7, 2014
Mission Viejo, CA
The kesler injury puts us in an unfortunate limbo, think it might be best to resign henrique and a one year 3rd center. Trade silf for picks. Tank for one year and towards the end of the year play youngsters (steel jones mathura). I believe if Kesler retires before he’s 35 he gets nothing but he may go the pronger route if he never returns to form.

Let carlyle get the blame this year, fired, then bring in a new coach next year is how I see it.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
I don’t think RC gets fired no matter what happens next season if Kes is out for the season. They’ll use that as an excuse to keep him around “for one more run.” He and BM will keep getting excuses for how behind this team is.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I don’t think RC gets fired no matter what happens next season if Kes is out for the season. They’ll use that as an excuse to keep him around “for one more run.” He and BM will keep getting excuses for how behind this team is.
Disagree. Next season will be RC's last year unless they go on a major run to the Cup.

The more interesting question to me is how bad do we have to be for BM to lose his job?

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Disagree. Next season will be RC's last year unless they go on a major run to the Cup.

The more interesting question to me is how bad do we have to be for BM to lose his job?
I’m starting to believe the only way RC goes is if BM goes too. Their friendship seems to be cloudy any professional judgment from Bob.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I’m starting to believe the only way RC goes is if BM goes too. Their friendship seems to be cloudy any professional judgment from Bob.
Well, BM fired him once...

But I somewhat agree with that. IMO the best solution is for the Samueli's to just clean house

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site

Bob won't let him pick his own assistants, is telling him how to do aspects of his job and they haven't even guaranteed him anything after this season. That does not sound like a guy who's committed to his coach long-term.

I really don't think BM is going anywhere and IMO thats the right call. I don't think the guys who want him gone have totally thought that one through.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
I talked to my source and he said kesler has not been working out all summer and it is still possible he plays next year but if these issues have potential permanent issues that would affect his decision. Also said Kes has some goals or milestones he wants to hit like 1000 games. Sounds like he is going to give it a shot but very likely LTIR or retirement. Also said the mental aspect of not being what he used to be is very tough and often leads to retirement.

Reactions: Masch78 and dracom

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
Bob won't let him pick his own assistants, is telling him how to do aspects of his job and they haven't even guaranteed him anything after this season. That does not sound like a guy who's committed to his coach long-term.

I really don't think BM is going anywhere and IMO thats the right call. I don't think the guys who want him gone have totally thought that one through.
Also talked to my source about this and heard the recent hire is very very much an indication that rc has an extremely short leash. Dont be surprised if we see a change by christmas if things go south.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Also talked to my source about this and heard the recent hire is very very much an indication that rc has an extremely short leash. Dont be surprised if we see a change by christmas if things go south.

Like the Wilford one? Interesting that it has that kind of affect, but the more you think about it, wasn't a positive sign for RC. RCs best friend Dave Farrish has always occupied that role for him and instead Murray brings a guy he's kept around for three AHL teams and four AHL head coaches. Definitely shows who calls the shots.

As for Kesler, interesting stuff, although I gotta note that him not working out yet is no kind of red flag. It isn't even June and I think most guys take a month off after an early exit, especially after a season like that. But very interesting how much pride could be a factor, that might help us down the road if things go bad.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Kesler retiring at this point would probably be the best thing for the franchise. He isn't going to be what he was and his contract is going to be a big hindrance on transitioning to another era. Probably an era of mediocrity if we can't find a star center somewhere.

Reactions: AngelDuck

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
There is no chance in hell Kesler is retiring and walking away from damn near $26 million. That is a pipe dream.
If the guy can't play he can't play. LTIR and he will get his money, so I guess so. I think he would retire and come to an agreement with ownership for a payout though.

Reactions: Opak
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad