Speculation: 2017-2018 Trade Rumors Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScarTroy

Sponsor
May 24, 2012
Corona, CA
I think people are very wrong on that. I guess I get the sentiment and the logic but he's just so valuable I could never classify him as an odd man out. It's also funny, because his production in a sense makes him more valuable IMO. Like, if he produced like Mark Stone, he'd be getting paid in a year and we probably couldn't even afford him. Since he doesn't, I won't be surprised if he extends here for around $4.5 millon, especially if it's done quickly.

Then again, I might be just plain wrong in how I tiered guys. All the guys I've had in mind hit over 50 fairly often, just not 60. Guys like Galchenyuk, Skinner, Kreider if the Rangers are dumb enough to move him. I wouldn't mind a guy with Silfverberg-esque production, but that's not who I thought of at first.
All fair points, I just don't think it's easy like the original poster stated

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
Where do we easily find a 50-60 point winger without overpaying for some free agent that's going to fall off in the latter stage of their contact anyways?
Perry had a 57 point pace last year. If you assume he is a year older next year and we see a little dropoff to say low 50s. Then ypu factor in that someone playing on a line with Getz and Rakell will see a boost in numbers, because everyone that we see play with Getz gets a big boost and Rakell is going to score. Then you are talking about a typical 40 - 45 point guy can replace Perry next year. Those guys are not too hard to find at all.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
I don't think the team needs defensive help... we need people that can control the puck in the offensive zone and keep the puck from getting to our defensive zone.
I agree 100% with you about Perry. Winning puck battles in our d zone, neutral zone and o zone all help generate scoring and puck possession and Perrys speed makes him a liability in all of those situations.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
I think my solution would be to target more of a 40-50 point guy, IMO there's such a major discrepancy in perceived value over actual value between the two tiers.
Yep. Also, theres quite a few more free agents in that range. And if you throw them on Getzlafs line like we did with Perron a few years back we will be fine.

ScarTroy

Sponsor
May 24, 2012
Corona, CA
Perry had a 57 point pace last year. If you assume he is a year older next year and we see a little dropoff to say low 50s. Then ypu factor in that someone playing on a line with Getz and Rakell will see a boost in numbers, because everyone that we see play with Getz gets a big boost and Rakell is going to score. Then you are talking about a typical 40 - 45 point guy can replace Perry next year. Those guys are not too hard to find at all.
If your plan is to get a 40-45 point guy in hopes that he can get around the low 50s with Getzlaf, when you already know Perry can do that, you are being overly optimistic. How do you plan on acquiring this said player? Is it going to be worth losing a current roster player + draft picks to take that gamble? Or are we planning on overpaying for a free agent?
You say they aren't hard to find, so for the sake of discussion so I know who these guys are you are thinking of, can you tell me who, and how you'd plan on acquiring them? I'm not saying you are wrong, I just don't share your vision currently, so I'd like to see your solution.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
If your plan is to get a 40-45 point guy in hopes that he can get around the low 50s with Getzlaf, when you already know Perry can do that, you are being overly optimistic. How do you plan on acquiring this said player? Is it going to be worth losing a current roster player + draft picks to take that gamble? Or are we planning on overpaying for a free agent?
You say they aren't hard to find, so for the sake of discussion so I know who these guys are you are thinking of, can you tell me who, and how you'd plan on acquiring them? I'm not saying you are wrong, I just don't share your vision currently, so I'd like to see your solution.
Honestly im not sure what realistic scenario there is that we can unload that massive Perry contract with a nmc. Im just saying if we were to move that contract we could find a replacement for his production and also get a more well rounded player. I havent been following free agency that closely but I am going to guess there are more than a few guys with over 40 points last season.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I think there is more to the game of hockey than point totals... and it just kinda depends on what his value looks like what kind of money we can clear up on what happens after. There are a lot of things that can happen affect that... so i wouldnt know but eaves is certainly an option... maybe a prospect has a good camp and forms chemistry with getzlaf and rakell.... perry doesnt win puck battles much anymore, he doesnt really back check or forecheck... he goes hard to the net (not to the extent be used too) and he does find ways to get on the score sheet, he still has solid hands and shot which can be useful... but i think that line could be a lot better and perry is the obvious weak link.

I think silfverberg could make a lot of sense... but i think it would tske more than a few games to get going... hes strong skater, great shot, actually battles in all 3 zones and very smart. I think sam bennet could make a lot of sense on that line if we could aquire him... plenty of options that could roll with that line as weve seen in the past ... getzlaf can kinda work with anyone.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Honestly im not sure what realistic scenario there is that we can unload that massive Perry contract with a nmc. Im just saying if we were to move that contract we could find a replacement for his production and also get a more well rounded player. I havent been following free agency that closely but I am going to guess there are more than a few guys with over 40 points last season.
Perron, neal, kane off fa
Kase, eaves, silfverberg on our roster, hell if a young center makes the team you could potentially throw henrique on that line.
Plenty of young players that could potentially work, prob some trade fodder

Tough to say without knowinv perrys actually trade value/ how much money we could free up or what we return

ScarTroy

Sponsor
May 24, 2012
Corona, CA
Perron, neal, kane off fa
Kase, eaves, silfverberg on our roster, hell if a young center makes the team you could potentially throw henrique on that line.
Plenty of young players that could potentially work, prob some trade fodder

Tough to say without knowinv perrys actually trade value/ how much money we could free up or what we return
So the plan is to overpay for a free agent? Neal will want quite a bit, Perron already passed us in free agency after playing for us, so no reason to think he'll come here for a discount, and Kane publicly stated he wants to get paid, and not to mention his highest point total is 54 this season. I just don't buy that the best option is trading Perry (lol) and overpaying in free agency. The original poster said we could easily replace perry's production, and when I asked who he had in mind he said something like " I'm sure there are a few guys who scored 40 in free agency." Its still not adding up to me how this makes us any better now or in the long run

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
So the plan is to overpay for a free agent? Neal will want quite a bit, Perron already passed us in free agency after playing for us, so no reason to think he'll come here for a discount, and Kane publicly stated he wants to get paid, and not to mention his highest point total is 54 this season. I just don't buy that the best option is trading Perry (lol) and overpaying in free agency. The original poster said we could easily replace perry's production, and when I asked who he had in mind he said something like " I'm sure there are a few guys who scored 40 in free agency." Its still not adding up to me how this makes us any better now or in the long run
I listed players we could fill in at that spot on the team also that could potentially fit that spot. I didn't exactly say get a FA I said the name of a few Fa's that would work on that line.

And maybe trading perry is not the "best" option.. but keeping him isn't an option that is going to lead anywhere good either.... were in a bad situation... no matter how you cut it. Corey perry 4 games 0 points -5... that is a pretty big issue when the games get tougher perry is a complete liability.

ScarTroy

Sponsor
May 24, 2012
Corona, CA
I listed players we could fill in at that spot on the team also that could potentially fit that spot. I didn't exactly say get a FA I said the name of a few Fa's that would work on that line.

And maybe trading perry is not the "best" option.. but keeping him isn't an option that is going to lead anywhere good either.... were in a bad situation... no matter how you cut it. Corey perry 4 games 0 points -5... that is a pretty big issue when the games get tougher perry is a complete liability.
How did these internal players do in the same 4 games? Our prospects don't look like they are breaking the door down to move a 50+ point player down the lineup. Terry is probably the closest to ready of guys that could even realistically ever reach those totals, and he was getting bodied. We will see after camp, but I don't buy that either. Perry is the best option we realistically have, and even that isn't the worst option. If he were paid less no one would complain

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
How did these internal players do in the same 4 games? Our prospects don't look like they are breaking the door down to move a 50+ point player down the lineup. Terry is probably the closest to ready of guys that could even realistically ever reach those totals, and he was getting bodied. We will see after camp, but I don't buy that either. Perry is the best option we realistically have, and even that isn't the worst option. If he were paid less no one would complain
That's yet to be seen, there are a lot of young players that could potentially produce with rakell and getzlaf... and do more for the line/team. Ill take a 40 point player that plays in all 3 zones and wins puck battles and gets the puck to getz and rakell to do their thing. The internal players wernt playing with our top 2 players... and honestly the limited time kase was on that line during the playoffs it looked much more dangerous.

Silf could prob score 50 on that line in a full season of player, kase could, Henrique could... eaves is more of a question mark.... I'm not convinced perry will score 50 on that line next year.

Either way... that line with perry isn't going to fair well in the hard games come playoff time.... as shown in the san jose series..... I'm perfectly okay with the team exploring options with moving perry, and finding someone else to play on that line.... rakell and getzlaf are very skilled players and can make a lot of lesser players look pretty good.

Reactions: Trojans86

ScarTroy

Sponsor
May 24, 2012
Corona, CA
That's yet to be seen, there are a lot of young players that could potentially produce with rakell and getzlaf... and do more for the line/team. Ill take a 40 point player that plays in all 3 zones and wins puck battles and gets the puck to getz and rakell to do their thing. The internal players wernt playing with our top 2 players... and honestly the limited time kase was on that line during the playoffs it looked much more dangerous.

Silf could prob score 50 on that line in a full season of player, kase could, Henrique could... eaves is more of a question mark.... I'm not convinced perry will score 50 on that line next year.

Either way... that line with perry isn't going to fair well in the hard games come playoff time.... as shown in the san jose series..... I'm perfectly okay with the team exploring options with moving perry, and finding someone else to play on that line.... rakell and getzlaf are very skilled players and can make a lot of lesser players look pretty good.
Im not arguing these players couldn't do it, I'm arguing that Trojan said we could "easily replace Perry's production with better defensive play as well" and I've yet to see that solution that is realistic. Could kase/ Silf do it? Maybe, but then who replaces them on their lines? I'm fine moving Perry down the lineup, but don't expect much of an upgrade to the first line if we are promoting from within. And Perry isn't, and shouldn't agree to waive his NMC. He's earned the right to have that and play out his contract here, and I'd have no ill feeling toward him if Bob asked and Pears told him to pound sand.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Im not arguing these players couldn't do it, I'm arguing that Trojan said we could "easily replace Perry's production with better defensive play as well" and I've yet to see that solution that is realistic. Could kase/ Silf do it? Maybe, but then who replaces them on their lines? I'm fine moving Perry down the lineup, but don't expect much of an upgrade to the first line if we are promoting from within. And Perry isn't, and shouldn't agree to waive his NMC. He's earned the right to have that and play out his contract here, and I'd have no ill feeling toward him if Bob asked and Pears told him to pound sand.
That's fair... and I don't mind moving perry down either, and letting him play on the power play units because hes still a player that can be effective on the power play. Maybe not a point production upgrade but maybe whoever we replace him with on the top line gets the puck in battles more often and that increases zone time for rakell and getzlaf, which is never a bad thing.... and maybe they get back in the dzone better than perry did which means rakell/getzlaf can play a little more aggressive in the ozone. The perry trade idea is more of an option than a request... and I think its perfectly acceptable for the team to look at that option and explore it.

As for the NMC, I agree he earned it and its his to use how he wants, but there is a part of me that feels like perry doesn't particularly like RC or BM and could potentially want to leave either way.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Why? How? Where does he go?

We can’t realistically add anymore forwards unless we move some out and that’s only if none of our prospects are ready for the nhl.
We could find a place for him. But only if we execute a fully functional 4 line system. Which seems unrealistic at this point

GermanRocket7

Fire Newell Brown yesteryear!
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2008
One thing we probably should keep in mind a bit more is that not only do we need to get faster and more skilled up front (especially with rolling four real lines), but we need to have offensive players who also are at least somewhat feisty as well. Remember the last time opposing teams took runs at our skill players and someone from our team stood up for it? Nah, me neither. Probably sometime back in 2010 or so.

If we want to add skill up front, we need skill with a bulky frame and a tough edge as well, because our roster as it is doesn't provide any kind of edge whatsoever. A player of the caliber of, say, Draisaitl, Lindholm or Haula can stand up for himself and doesn't necessarily get taken out by opposing hits time and again. I don't want too many Gaudreaus or Kanes on the ice, who might avoid contact 9/10 times but don't stand up by themselves the one time they are hit.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
One thing we probably should keep in mind a bit more is that not only do we need to get faster and more skilled up front (especially with rolling four real lines), but we need to have offensive players who also are at least somewhat feisty as well. Remember the last time opposing teams took runs at our skill players and someone from our team stood up for it? Nah, me neither. Probably sometime back in 2010 or so.

If we want to add skill up front, we need skill with a bulky frame and a tough edge as well, because our roster as it is doesn't provide any kind of edge whatsoever. A player of the caliber of, say, Draisaitl, Lindholm or Haula can stand up for himself and doesn't necessarily get taken out by opposing hits time and again. I don't want too many Gaudreaus or Kanes on the ice, who might avoid contact 9/10 times but don't stand up by themselves the one time they are hit.
We just resign Boll :sarcasm:

But honestly, our lineup is already bulky enough, we can turn to finding skill without worrying about him being able to throw punches.

Reactions: Getz2perry

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma

I'm always for "toughness" throughout the lineup, but the only Gaudrea/Kane type of player on our team is Kase. We could use another one.

imjustzach

May 9, 2018

Found RC's HF account. :laugh:

In all seriousness, I think the team is fine as it is as far as guys with grit/size. Getz, Perry, Kesler, Manson, Ritchie, and even Jones (if he's NHL ready) are all physical guys who can stand up for their teammates when needed. Given our lines from last year, the only line that doesn't have "protection" is the 4th and we don't have much as far as fast, skilled guys on that line.

Reactions: Getz2perry

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Not sure Lindholm makes a ton of sense as a target, we have a lot of right shooting RWs and I don't think I'd bring him in to bump Henrique. Skinner, though, that one I could see.

Yeah Skinner's skill set is something this team needs. I don't see how it happens with out moving one of Perry or Silfverberg though. Maybe Eaves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad