Speculation: 2017-2018 Trade Rumors Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
There is no chance in hell Kesler is retiring and walking away from damn near $26 million. That is a pipe dream.

I'm not sure it's as much of one as you think. Maybe the team is fine with it for whatever reason and/or doesn't want to test his bluff but he might not be like other LTIR cases. He can't go on LTIR if he passes a physical, and he's already kind of done that post-surgery, I think. I'm really not sure, the only real comparable is Hossa but that's still very different.

I mean you're probably right I'm just genuinely curious how this works when a guy is more hurt than injured.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2011
We are not going to gut the team to rebuild. I repeat, this will be done on the fly, because a team like ours has no choice but to do so.

Also, with Kesler's future in doubt, our top priority needs to be signing Henrique to a deal with some term. If we can't get that done, then you look at trade options.

Finally, color me skeptical that the people wanting this team tank are going to patiently sit by without complaint while that happens.
Rebuilding on the fly will lead to perpetual mediocrity. There is no Getzlaf in place like there was in 2010. Without a franchise player it's futile and a waste of time and money

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
To me were an elite forward from contending..

We have great goalie and defense...forwards are okay but need to give rakell and getz some support

Reactions: Trojans86

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
A year of Silfverberg is worth more to us than that, unless we're rebuilding.
Not really if we can acquire another forward or put a kid in the lineup to take his place. I’m all for a retool, but this talk of blowing up the team and rebuilding is just idiocy.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Is it really? If Kes is out for the season, then I don’t expect us to be really contending so moving Silf for a mid 1st round pick isn’t a bad idea.

If Kes does play then maybe we keep Silf around. It really depends on who is going to center him I guess.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Not really if we can acquire another forward or put a kid in the lineup to take his place. I’m all for a retool, but this talk of blowing up the team and rebuilding is just idiocy.

Trading a guy who has been one of our more reliable forwards for quite some time and expecting a kid to fill his shoes, that' a rebuilding move. I really doubt we could replace him in FA without a big commitment either.

I didn't dislike your previous idea of trading Silf(+) to try and bring in a more offensive winger like Skinner.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Trading a guy who has been one of our more reliable forwards for quite some time and expecting a kid to fill his shoes, that' a rebuilding move. I really doubt we could replace him in FA without a big commitment either.

I didn't dislike your previous idea of trading Silf(+) to try and bring in a more offensive winger like Skinner.
One trade like that does not signify a rebuild. Were we rebuilding when we traded Ryan?

Reactions: AngelDuck

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Is it really? If Kes is out for the season, then I don’t expect us to be really contending so moving Silf for a mid 1st round pick isn’t a bad idea.

If Kes does play then maybe we keep Silf around. It really depends on who is going to center him I guess.

Again I'm saying if the plan is try and contend this year, he's worth more to us than the pick. I found it odd that MMC would scoff at the notion of a rebuild and also agree to move one of our best forwards for a draft pick. There's just no way this team gets better by selling Silf and shoving Terry or someone in his spot, and I think it's fair to highly question BM's ability to efficiently replace him in free agency.

I can understand that in a perfect world someone might hope we could trade him for assets and then replace him in free agency with an equal or better player who somehow doesn't threaten our ability to comfortably sign Gibson and Henrique next summer, but that seems like very wishful thinking.

Csonked Out

Mar 20, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Devils fan coming in peace. Would there be any possibility of the Ducks moving Pettersson? What are your guys thoughts on him, personally I think he could be on the verge of breaking out and becoming a future 2nd pairing defender and we could desperately use one.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Devils fan coming in peace. Would there be any possibility of the Ducks moving Pettersson? What are your guys thoughts on him, personally I think he could be on the verge of breaking out and becoming a future 2nd pairing defender and we could desperately use one.
Probably depends on what our GM wants to do with our 3rd pair. We have our top 4 set already, and as it stands now, we will probably have a few young guys battle for spots on the 3rd pair (Pettersson, Welinski, Larsson, maybe Mahura). However, knowing our GM, we will likely sign 1 veteran dman to be on the 3rd pairing, meaning only 1 of those young guys will get playing time. If Pettersson is the odd man out or sent down to the AHL, then he MIGHT be available. And if we were to trade him I'd imagine it's for a LW/C at a similar age with a similar ceiling.

Reactions: Getz2perry

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
He was very solid for us, granted he was replacing bieska/beauch so honestly a cone would have impressed me.... even at training camp/rookie camps I thought he was 1 of the better looking players... I think he needs to add a little meat to his frame, hes listed at 6'4 180 I think... if he could get closer to 200 area that would be huge boost for him on the board battles/front of the net battles.

I think hes a guy that Anaheim could potentially move for the right kinda offer... granted idk how much actual value he has at this point.

I may be the minority but I fully expect Larsson to end up making the team next year out of camp ... then it kinda depends if we sign Welinski as a RFA, and Mahura/Pettersson/Welinski battle out for the last and final spot, assuming we don't sign a bottom pairing dmen.

Csonked Out

Mar 20, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Probably depends on what our GM wants to do with our 3rd pair. We have our top 4 set already, and as it stands now, we will probably have a few young guys battle for spots on the 3rd pair (Pettersson, Welinski, Larsson, maybe Mahura). However, knowing our GM, we will likely sign 1 veteran dman to be on the 3rd pairing, meaning only 1 of those young guys will get playing time. If Pettersson is the odd man out or sent down to the AHL, then he MIGHT be available. And if we were to trade him I'd imagine it's for a LW/C at a similar age with a similar ceiling.
We are pretty stacked at LW too so it could make sense to do a deal.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA

Not really. Its a roster turnover thing. We cant keep everyone and make room for younger players. Unless we find a legit replacement for Kesler as well as him going on LTIR we really aren't "contending" this year. Which means if we aren't going to resign Silf we can trade him now for max Value. No one said trading Silf makes us better but it does help us with money and additional assets. Imo we have too many RSW as is so my expectation is 1 is moved anyway.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
We are not going to gut the team to rebuild. I repeat, this will be done on the fly, because a team like ours has no choice but to do so.

Also, with Kesler's future in doubt, our top priority needs to be signing Henrique to a deal with some term. If we can't get that done, then you look at trade options.

Finally, color me skeptical that the people wanting this team tank are going to patiently sit by without complaint while that happens.

Let me put it to you this way. If we extend Henrique and Silfverberg to big money extensions during this offseason, this team is financially ****ed in the long term, there's no way we can afford that. Not only would we have Getz, Perry and Kesler (roughly $24 million combined) stuck to unmoveable contracts, but we'd also have Rico and Silf (over $10 million combined?) locked up to long term, big money contracts that would be difficult to move. Financially, we would be well on our way of becoming the western equivalent of the current Red Wings, which IMO is a fate even worse than tanking.

As an example, look at Frans Nielsen, who's a tad older but quite comparable to Henrique as a player. Nielsen got 6 years and $5.25 million from Detroit, along with a full NMC (not that there would be many takers for him at that price anyway). I imagine a Rico extension, without NMC, would be in the $6 million AAV range, which would only be about $900k less than what we're currently paying Kesler. Ask yourself -- is a 29-year-old Adam Henrique really worth that kind of an investment, especially if it might screw up our salary structure? The same thing can be said about Silf. Is he really the kind of guy you spend a lot of money on?

Alternatively, we could hold off on making the signings, as both guys still have a year left on their contracts. By doing that, we gain flexibility -- if the team is bad or mediocre during next year's TDL, we can easily deal Rico and/or Silf for the kind of futures that we'd need to pull off a "re-build on the fly", as there would then be no point in keeping the two. If the team is good, then we might think other options -- maybe we keep one of them and let the other walk after the playoffs? Maybe we observe how much our youth develops over the course of the season and then decide how badly we want to pay these guys?

There is no chance in hell Kesler is retiring and walking away from damn near $26 million. That is a pipe dream.

I agree, nobody in their right mind would leave that kind of money on the table.

To me were an elite forward from contending..

We have great goalie and defense...forwards are okay but need to give rakell and getz some support

We do need help at F, especially help that's at or under the age of 25. Right now, our team structure is a bit weird, as our forward group is old and declining, but our defense and #1 goalie are just about to hit their primes.

I agree with heusy, IMO a mid first for Silf is not that interesting right now. As I posted, if the team is doing badly at next year's TDL, I'd be OK with selling Silf in that scenario. I imagine we could even get a better offer than that 16th overall pick, given how small a cap hit Silf currently has.

I don't think so. Pettersson represents the exact kind of cost-controlled talent that we desperately need. I'd be interested in a very good C prospect, but I don't know whether Pettersson has the kind of value to get one in return. Not sure I'd be interested in the idea of adding a lot to Pettersson to make that happen either.

Last edited:

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Trading Silfverberg doesn't signify a rebuild. They'd be very smart to get something for him if they feel he is going to walk (which he probably will with Gibson's new contract looming)

It's not that different than the Bobby Ryan situation, except he isn't as polarizing of a player as Bobby was (and doesn't have as much value)

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
Let me put it to you this way. If we extend Henrique and Silfverberg to big money extensions during this offseason, this team is financially ****ed in the long term, there's no way we can afford that. Not only would we have Getz, Perry and Kesler (roughly $24 million combined) stuck to unmoveable contracts, but we'd also have Rico and Silf (over $10 million combined?) locked up to long term, big money contracts that would be difficult to move. Financially, we would be well on our way of becoming the western equivalent of the current Red Wings, which IMO is a fate even worse than tanking.

Your inability to understand the proportional differences between what we pay two forwards and the damage done by tanking to the team's brand is almost childlike.

Detroit got to where they currently are by their drafting falling short of where it was. Here is where I point out that when Detroit's scouting was where ours currently is, they not only rebuilt on the fly, but they also won several cups while doing so.

Edit: Okay, I've looked over your post again, and I genuinely have no idea what the point you were attempting to make was, because the entirety of your message is just bickering about some hypothetical price and quality of play next year. Either you highlighted the wrong part of my post, quoted the wrong post, or did not understand the point that was being made.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad