Speculation: 2017 - 2018 Roster Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I'm okay with BPA in the draft even if it's a LHS winger (as long as it's Svechnikov, Zadina, or Tkachuk). LHD is a tough pill to swallow in the 1st round, outside of Dahlin. As incredible as Hughes seems, he's not Dahlin and certainly doesn't justify trading OEL like a Dahlin might(even that's hugely questionable).

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
It's only a matter a time before Domi, Duke, and Strome request a trade from this garbage team.

Who do we fire? Someone needs to be held accountable for 7 f***ING losses to start a season.

My vote, give Todd Nelson a call, fire Maclean. Let Nelson and Tocchet fight for HC.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Did the team at least look like they are starting to learn a system? Or is it still mostly keystone cops?

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Did the team at least look like they are starting to learn a system? Or is it still mostly keystone cops?
The most frustrating thing, is yes they did. But we just make the occasional nuclear wtf meltdown free goal. If we can clean up even half of those we win this game. We just have to stop handing games away.

Reactions: kbay and rt

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
The most frustrating thing, is yes they did. But we just make the occasional nuclear wtf meltdown free goal. If we can clean up even half of those we win this game. We just have to stop handing games away.

Agreed, but I still think the aggression needs to be toned down in our end and ramped up in the oppositions.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
It's only a matter a time before Domi, Duke, and Strome request a trade from this garbage team.

Who do we fire? Someone needs to be held accountable for 7 ****ING losses to start a season.

My vote, give Todd Nelson a call, fire Maclean. Let Nelson and Tocchet fight for HC.

The Red Wings aren't letting their AHL coach leave midseason.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I realize the angst and disappointment but a young team learning how to win is part of process and the situation is aggravated because our 1G is injured. Things will get better. We will progress and this may not be a great season points wise but from an enjoyment factor and a prime pick in a strong draft perspective there are some positives. Don't solely judge this season based on wins and losses. Keller emerging as a young star may be the biggest thing we see this season. The wins will come.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I realize the angst and disappointment but a young team learning how to win is part of process and the situation is aggravated because our 1G is injured. Things will get better. We will progress and this may not be a great season points wise but from an enjoyment factor and a prime pick in a strong draft perspective there are some positives. Don't solely judge this season based on wins and losses. Keller emerging as a young star may be the biggest thing we see this season. The wins will come.
I was just thinking about this. If we continue to grow and improve and are playing respectable by the end of the season, we'll be glad for this terrible start when the draft lottery rolls around.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
This year should be all about learning on the job. Finally.

I don't care about W-L right now.

We can make pass-fail grades at the end of the season. Not 8.5% into the new season with a new staff, new system, with a ton of young players getting a taste of the NHL.

Reactions: Sthlmyote and BOGO

Tad Mikowski

Hail to the King Baby
Sponsor
May 31, 2012
Phoenix, AZ

We can make pass-fail grades at the end of the season. Not 8.5% into the new season with a new staff, new system, with a ton of young players getting a taste of the NHL.

This all day. Yes it's frustrating. But the knee jerk reactions are kinda crazy right now. Plus we have 3 key pieces injured atm. On top of that, I'm seeing improvement. It'll come together.

BOGO

Oct 20, 2017
I am right there with you guys right now. I just want to see the team compete and improve. There was the run in Vegas through the Boston game where it got pretty rough, but the past two games against Dallas they are starting to come together. If you thought this was a playoff team, then I think your expectations were too high. I came into this season wanting to see the evolution of the team, and the two games against Dallas, the home opener again Vegas and the Ducks game were all enjoyable and show promise. No one needs to be fired yet, just patience is the key.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Yes. Strome is over valued due to his draft position. He is built to play in a slow, methodical, Tippett style offense, not a pond hockey game which Tocchet uses.

Just the opposite. Strome is one of the few players in the organization capable of playing one touch hockey. He should be with the team.

The wounds were self inflicted this time. They probably should have won. They are at least skating hard and playing hard.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
This all day. Yes it's frustrating. But the knee jerk reactions are kinda crazy right now. Plus we have 3 key pieces injured atm. On top of that, I'm seeing improvement. It'll come together.

Yes, there are signs of improvement. However, nobody gave the previous regime the benefit of the doubt when we lost two key pieces in Domi and Richardson last year. For a little longer than four or five games.

But we have looked more comfortable, I can admit that. Losing also makes teams press, so I don't doubt that has been a problem for the youth and even the vets, alike.

Reactions: Jakey53

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

In case you didn't realize, this is year three about learning on the job as we continue to rebuild, and last year we had more young players getting a taste of the NHL than this year.

I am right there with you guys right now. I just want to see the team compete and improve. There was the run in Vegas through the Boston game where it got pretty rough, but the past two games against Dallas they are starting to come together. If you thought this was a playoff team, then I think your expectations were too high. I came into this season wanting to see the evolution of the team, and the two games against Dallas, the home opener again Vegas and the Ducks game were all enjoyable and show promise. No one needs to be fired yet, just patience is the key.

Yes, patience is key with a rebuild and I have been stating this for a couple of years, and even then success is not guaranteed.

Who do we fire? Someone needs to be held accountable for 7 ****ING losses to start a season.

They are not going to ask for a trade and no one will get fired. What did you expect this year? They should be better than they are and should have more points, but it is starting to look better and we have a long season ahead of us.

Last edited by a moderator:

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
Tippett and Tocchet really have nothing to do with each other. I felt like much and maybe even most of the criticism of Tippett last year was unfounded, but I was ready for a change (albeit surprised by the move, given the remaining term).

That doesn't give Tocchet a pass, though. I agree this year is still about improvement rather than a final record (and had no expectations of a playoff run), but given the influx of talent this year, I was hoping for an overall improvement compared to last year. Player to player, I'm seeing mostly regression so far. That's worrisome.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Tippett and Tocchet really have nothing to do with each other. I felt like much and maybe even most of the criticism of Tippett last year was unfounded, but I was ready for a change (albeit surprised by the move, given the remaining term).

That doesn't give Tocchet a pass, though. I agree this year is still about improvement rather than a final record (and had no expectations of a playoff run), but given the influx of talent this year, I was hoping for an overall improvement compared to last year. Player to player, I'm seeing mostly regression so far. That's worrisome.

Agreed on several counts. People took the 'Dino Dave' mentality to heart, but they are quick to point to injuries this early when all coaches (not just Tippett) still have to be prepared for that. I just appreciate that posters like yourself are able to see things for what they are and maybe aren't. I don't think it is the end of the world, and Tocchet will get time to work this out. And he will. But it is concerning that we haven't got over that hump yet, and it is rather convenient for some posters to trivialize the issues that Tocchet is experiencing when many of them were also present with Tippett, and those were deemed as excuses. Just very blurred lines on these boards right now...

DesertDawg

Mar 6, 2002
Superstition Mts
ridefree.net
I can't help but think about how much better this team would be with Hanzal and Vrbata, and, IMO, Doan (in a limited role, and for leadership). Now I suspect it means this is the last season in the valley...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad