Speculation: 2017 - 2018 Roster Discussion Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I guess we just need to hope that the new ownership is as committed to AZ as he seemed to be.

I hope that, if Barroway does get bought out by a non-Fertitta source, whoever it is is local to AZ and has a strong history in the state.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I think he can make more (get a bigger return) selling 100% of the team - even with the maneuvers he made to do that buyout - than he could by selling 54%, or whatever his share was with IceArizona.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
I doubt he ever saw a dime of that - too much debt to the league to pay down. But I bet he gets a good sales price for flipping the franchise to whoever buys him out.
Dundon purchased the Hurricanes for $420M in January. Pretty good benchmark.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I'd do Raanta @4x4 & OEL @8x8 - I'd love to draft Dahlin and re-sign Hjalmarsson, too.

Scott Allen coaching...

OEL-Demers
Goligoski-Dahlin
Chychrun-Hjammer
Connauton

Raanta
Kuemper

...is nobody's basement team. That group alone makes us a bubble team, even if the forwards don't pick up. Provided everyone stays healthy and happy, of course. :)

cobra427

May 6, 2012
17 mill all in for OEL 8 years NTC/Hammer 4 years/Raanta 3 years. Divy it up however you want.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
If there is a new owner, I hope he doesn't have his hand out looking for corporate welfare right from the get go like Barroway. Saying the team can't exist without a new arena, aka subsidy right after you buy it pretty much proves you can't afford it. Not smart to alienate fans when you desperately need them to come see a product that has been horrible for most of the time it's been playing in the current tax payer bought arena. It's like barely being able to scrape together the money for the 3 year old BMW only to realize you can't afford the normal scheduled maintenance.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
I am very, very glad I was wrong about Keller. I felt like he needed to bulk up and that he wouldn't be an impact player.

I was wrong. He is by far the best player this team has. Him and OEL are a pleasure to watch.

Reactions: Sauna

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
I am very, very glad I was wrong about Keller. I felt like he needed to bulk up and that he wouldn't be an impact player.

I was wrong. He is by far the best player this team has. Him and OEL are a pleasure to watch.
He's a game changing forward....we haven't one of those in a long time.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
You just expect him to score in certain situations. Before I would hope we scored in those same situations. It's a good feeling.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Calgary has been officially eliminated from postseason contention (lol Mike Smith) so the 2019 3rd rounder will remain as is and will not be upgraded to a 2019 2nd rounder.

Reactions: Yandover

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I'm surprised with how well Panik has played. After the first 15 games or so, I thought he was a lost cause. His chemistry on the Keller-Stepan line has been excellent recently.

And that snow shower on Domingue was pretty funny last night too.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I'm surprised with how well Panik has played. After the first 15 games or so, I thought he was a lost cause. His chemistry on the Keller-Stepan line has been excellent recently.

Except last night he had a half-dozen sterling chances to score and his cement hands weren't up to the task. His stick seems to be the place pucks go to die.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

And that snow shower on Domingue was pretty funny last night too.

He has played much better than I thought he would or could.

Except last night he had a half-dozen sterling chances to score and his cement hands weren't up to the task. His stick seems to be the place pucks go to die.
Give the kid credit. He is doing better than other RW's on this line. He is almost a .5 PPG player the last two years, but I don't think he is a 1RW and I would like to see an upgrade there, but he has definitely opened my eyes.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Projections show next year cap to be 80M. This year’s is 75M with a floor of 55.4M. Can’t remember how the floor is calculated (used to be a fixed number) but let’s say 60M for easy math.

Here’s where we stand, with some projected extensions (asterisks) built in:

Panik (2.8) - Stepan (6.5) – Keller (0.9)
Domi (2.5)* - Dvorak (0.8) - XXXXX
Perlini (0.9) - Strome (0.9) – Fischer (0.8)
Martinook (1.8) - Richardson (2.0)* - Cousins (1.0)
Archibald (0.7)

OEL (5.5) – Demers (4.0)
Chychrun (0.9) – Hjalmarsson (4.1)
Goligoski (5.5) - XXXXX
Connauton (1.5)*

Raanta (4.0)*
Kuemper (1.9)

Dead money: Bolland (5.5), Smith (1.4), Ribeiro (1.9)

Total: 57.8M, about 2M below the estimated floor with two spots left to fill: 2RW, 3RD. Even if we finish 2nd last, we still have a 72% chance of picking in the top 4, meaning one of those roles would be filled by another cheap ELC, whether it be Dahlin or one of the big 3 forwards.

Last edited:

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Projections show next year cap to be 80M. This year’s is 75M with a floor of 55.4M. Can’t remember how the floor is calculated (used to be a fixed number) but let’s say 60M for easy math.

Archibald (0.7)

OEL (5.5) – Demers (4.0)
Goligoski (5.5) - XXXXX
Connauton (1.5)*

Raanta (4.0)*
Kuemper (1.9)

Total: 57.8M, about 2M below the estimated floor with two spots left to fill: 2RW, 3RD. Even if we finish 2nd last, we still have a 72% chance of picking in the top 4, meaning one of those roles would be filled by another cheap ELC, whether it be Dahlin or one of the big 3 forwards.
Cap hit doesn't mean as much as budget. For us. Looks like floor will be hit by an entry level contract and a depth D signing.

I know I'm alone on an island here but I do think that Domi will be dealt. I think he's reverted to playing a perimeter game and isn't driving offence like we expected. Too many cross ice junior passes tape to tape to the opposition.

cobra427

May 6, 2012

Archibald (0.7)

OEL (5.5) – Demers (4.0)
Goligoski (5.5) - XXXXX
Connauton (1.5)*

Raanta (4.0)*
Kuemper (1.9)

Amazing that Keller makes 900 k a year. ELC's really get ripped off to the benefit of UFA's in the CBA. This is why we should stay away from expensive UFA's.

Tad Mikowski

Hail to the King Baby
Sponsor
May 31, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Cap hit doesn't mean as much as budget. For us. Looks like floor will be hit by an entry level contract and a depth D signing.

I know I'm alone on an island here but I do think that Domi will be dealt. I think he's reverted to playing a perimeter game and isn't driving offence like we expected. Too many cross ice junior passes tape to tape to the opposition.

I like Domi a lot. That being said, if he were dealt I wouldn't cry over it. I truly think he may need a fresh start and I think if GMJC decides to trade him, it will be for that reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad