Speculation: 2017 - 2018 Roster Discussion Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Is that rhetorical or do you know my car? Come by and say hi if you see me in the car at the games! HOnestly, I don't know how in the world you can make a profit at the GRA. I like the arena. It's worth it to me to make that miserable drive, but there aren't enough people who like me will brave, or are able to brave the rush hour traffic. Florida has a good team and a lousy location. They don't draw either.
I don't know what car you have but I manage a tire/maintenance/repair shop. I get people in all the time that freak out when the realize everything on the car they can barely afford the payments on costs 3 times as much as their old Toyota/Honda/Chevy/Ford etc.

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
If we trade for a center, where does that leave Strome? Include him in the deal?

I don't really see a fit for him in Tucson or playing him on the wing.

What about bringing back Martin Hanzal? Familiarity, declining dollar contract, only 2 years left, Dallas probably would be interested in dumping, he only plays part of the season anyway, and he'll recover from surgery in time for the start of the season. It's certainly a risk given his injury history, but that's actually kind of a benefit, in that we know Strome will still get plenty of games playing center. Maybe even use Hanzal as a super 4th liner.

Trade the Bolland contract and maybe Archibald makes Hanzal's $5M cash coming in vs $1.8M going out.

Or is Marty just plain broken?

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
He's broken, but something like this might work if we can massage the dollars a bit.

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I doubt there's anyone who would want Dave Bolland's contract. Only reason we wanted it was to cheat the cap floor.

I disagree.

I've made the case that if Washington plans to buy out Orpik, they might want to swap Orpik and their late 1st for Bolland and MIN 2nd because it would save their owner nearly $2M for the low cost of dropping 25 picks. We might want to do that because we like someone that drops to the late 1st (Ryan Merkley?) and because we think we can either retain and flip Orpik or play him over Schenn and flip him at the deadline. We still make the cap floor, get an asset, and stay in line with our budget.

I think there might be other opportunities out there like that for the Bolland contract. Teams might have to do some paper shuffling, but Bolland's LTIR might actually help a few cap ceiling teams. His $1.1M is already a sunk cost, so including it helps take the financial strain of bringing in someone else's headache.

I feel like Chayka missed the boat on the expansion draft and I'm hoping he can take advantage of a cap problem at least one more time before we start to compete. Any way we can get another Jakob Chychrun?

Last edited:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I disagree.

I've made the case that if Washington plans to buy out Orpik, they might want to swap Orpik and their late 1st for Bolland and MIN 2nd because it would save their owner nearly $2M for the low cost of dropping 25 picks. We might want to do that because we like someone that drops to the late 1st (Nick Merkley?) and because we think we can either retain and flip Orpik or play him over Schenn and flip him at the deadline. We still make the cap floor, get an asset, and stay in line with our budget.

I think there might be other opportunities out there like that for the Bolland contract. Teams might have to do some paper shuffling, but Bolland's LTIR might actually help a few cap ceiling teams. His $1.1M is already a sunk cost, so including it helps take the financial strain of bringing in someone else's headache.

I feel like Chayka missed the boat on the expansion draft and I'm hoping he can take advantage of a cap problem at least one more time before we start to compete. Any way we can get another Jakob Chychrun?
I have read that the cap could be in excess of $80 mill. next year. IF this is true there will be very few teams in cap hell as years previous, but Washington is one that still could be in cap hell. With the cap going up all it does is hurt the Coyotes.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
To ARI:
Justin Schultz
Conor Sheary

To PIT:
Lawson Crouse
Capobianco, Dineen, or Wood (PIT's choice)
2018 MIN 2nd
2019 ARI 2nd

I feel like a classic HF fan that is just stacking up a pile of as many secondary non-roster assets as they can in order to try to get real players to contribute right away. What's Pittsburgh's cap situation like?

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
74.5m with Sheahan, Dominik, Rust, Kuhnhackl, Rowney and Oleksiak to sign.

I know Oleksiak has actually turned some heads and will probably cost 2-3m. Rust will be looking for around 2 as well. With the cap going up they can probably make it work but it will be a tight squeeze. Sheahan tales 2m off the books as well.

I think we can make one or the other work but not both. Crouse and a 2nd for Sheahan or Cap and a 2nd for Schultz?

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Any center we trade for, I'd want to be a C/W. Which isn't really Hanzal.

The C is Strome insurance, but if Strome takes the job the new guy has to play wing.
Or play 4th line/PK/situational or Dzone minutes in relief of Dvo/Strome. Which Hanzal can do.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
Early offseason mock

1. Re-Sign Raanta (4yrs 17m 4.25avg)
2. Win the lottery for 1OV
3. Draft Dahlin
4. Trade MIN 2nd to OTT for Z.Smith
5. Strome makes the team
6. Some other stuff I probably forgot (when can we sign OEL again?)

Perlini-Stepan-Keller
Domi-Dvorak-Fischer
Z.Smith-Strome-Panik
Nook-Richardson-Cousins
Rinaldo

OEL-Demers
Goligoski-Dahlin
Chychrun-Hjalmarsson
Connauton

Raanta
Kuemper

I think we should add signing JVR to that list.

JVR-Stepan-Keller
Domi-Dvorak-Fischer
Perlini-Strome-Panik
Martinook-Richardson-Cousins
(Crouse?)

If they can draft Dahlin and sign JVR it's game on...like, for realzzzzz.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
74.5m with Sheahan, Dominik, Rust, Kuhnhackl, Rowney and Oleksiak to sign.

I know Oleksiak has actually turned some heads and will probably cost 2-3m. Rust will be looking for around 2 as well. With the cap going up they can probably make it work but it will be a tight squeeze. Sheahan tales 2m off the books as well.

I think we can make one or the other work but not both. Crouse and a 2nd for Sheahan or Cap and a 2nd for Schultz?
I'd rather pick up Schultz than Sheary. I'm not sure they'd take the B prospect and mid-2nd for Schultz, though.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Any center we trade for, I'd want to be a C/W. Which isn't really Hanzal.

The C is Strome insurance, but if Strome takes the job the new guy has to play wing.

Spezza? He's been a bad fit with Hitchcock. Dallas would need to retain a little too.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
I think we should add signing JVR to that list.

JVR-Stepan-Keller
Domi-Dvorak-Fischer
Perlini-Strome-Panik
Martinook-Richardson-Cousins
(Crouse?)

If they can draft Dahlin and sign JVR it's game on...like, for realzzzzz.
Next year at this point, we'll be talking about JVR's contract (6x7?) as one of the worst in hockey. Coyotes can't afford to get involved in the JVR sweepstakes anyway.

Reactions: Grimes

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I was wondering about Ryan Strome, if the Oilers don't qualify him?
Not as interesting in Ryan Strome, but similar on Brock Nelson from the Isles. Plays some center but better on wing, regularly scores 20 goals, might not be qualified since his QO is quite high ($3.5M) and they've got to sign Tavares.

Last edited:

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
What about bringing back Martin Hanzal? Familiarity, declining dollar contract, only 2 years left, Dallas probably would be interested in dumping, he only plays part of the season anyway, and he'll recover from surgery in time for the start of the season. It's certainly a risk given his injury history, but that's actually kind of a benefit, in that we know Strome will still get plenty of games playing center. Maybe even use Hanzal as a super 4th liner.

Trade the Bolland contract and maybe Archibald makes Hanzal's $5M cash coming in vs $1.8M going out.

Or is Marty just plain broken?
what a horrible idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad