Speculation: 2017 - 2018 Roster Discussion Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I like Domi a lot. That being said, if he were dealt I wouldn't cry over it. I truly think he may need a fresh start and I think if GMJC decides to trade him, it will be for that reason.

If you look at young forwards:
Domi/Duclair/Reider-regressed
Martinook- steady
DVO-improved
Keller/Fischer/Strome/Perlini- We don't know yet, some will be better, some worse next year.

I think Domi will bounce back but maybe not. We can trade him to fill another need as part of a package.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Cap hit doesn't mean as much as budget. For us. Looks like floor will be hit by an entry level contract and a depth D signing.

I know I'm alone on an island here but I do think that Domi will be dealt. I think he's reverted to playing a perimeter game and isn't driving offence like we expected. Too many cross ice junior passes tape to tape to the opposition.
I don't see Domi getting traded. By all accounts he is having a bad year, yet he is fourth in scoring, almost a .5PPG player. I think he can be much better and I don't want to give up on him, we could be sorry.

I like Domi a lot. That being said, if he were dealt I wouldn't cry over it. I truly think he may need a fresh start and I think if GMJC decides to trade him, it will be for that reason.
Fresh start? I heard that earlier and I don't understand it. This is only his third year, let's give the kid a chance.

If you look at young forwards:
Domi/Duclair/Reider-regressed
Martinook- steady
DVO-improved
Keller/Fischer/Strome/Perlini- We don't know yet, some will be better, some worse next year.

I think Domi will bounce back but maybe not. We can trade him to fill another need as part of a package.
Besides Kelller, Domi is our most productive LW, all while having a bad year. Sorry, but I don't trade him. We are starving for talent and you want to trade our 4 th leader point getter. You build a team through the draft and I believe trading Domi now is a mistake.

Reactions: lanky

Tad Mikowski

Hail to the King Baby
Sponsor
May 31, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I don't see Domi getting traded. By all accounts he is having a bad year, yet he is fourth in scoring, almost a .5PPG player. I think he can be much better and I don't want to give up on him, we could be sorry.

Fresh start? I heard that earlier and I don't understand it. This is only his third year, let's give the kid a chance.

Besides Kelller, Domi is our most productive LW, all while having a bad year. Sorry, but I don't trade him. We are starving for talent and you want to trade our 4 th leader point getter. You build a team through the draft and I believe trading Domi now is a mistake.

I certainly don't want to see him traded. as I said, I like him a lot. But usually where there's smoke, there's fire. I really don't think it would shock any of us if he were traded given all the recent rumors surrounding him. I wouldn't like it, but again I wouldn't cry over it.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Oliver looking at an 8 yr 8-10 mil range.
-worried about a move to Houston-

Barroway will be bought out. Still no clue by who but can semi confirm it’s in progress.

A lot will be shown to light after the season ends.

That’s all I got.
Appreciate the info!

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
If there is a new owner, I hope he doesn't have his hand out looking for corporate welfare right from the get go like Barroway. Saying the team can't exist without a new arena, aka subsidy right after you buy it pretty much proves you can't afford it. Not smart to alienate fans when you desperately need them to come see a product that has been horrible for most of the time it's been playing in the current tax payer bought arena. It's like barely being able to scrape together the money for the 3 year old BMW only to realize you can't afford the normal scheduled maintenance.
And, if you forgive this OT part of my post, my BMW maintenance is roughly 3 times the cost for equivalent work on my Mazda.

Barroway has done less to alienate fans than any of the previous ownership cadres, including the NHL. I know some West Siders are pissed, but still, Barroway's gold in my book.

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
I have found it encouraging that despite losing Hammer and Demers to injuries, the D has not really missed many steps in the last few games, integrating easily Murphy yesterday as well. It feels the system is maturing nicely.

I would love for an additional RHD to be picked up in the summer but it feels a less pressing need perhaps than in the past. And considering some of the chances we are missing, I can see why the focus may have shifted in getting more talent at forwards and why Chayka might make a significant trade to address that in the summer.

Perfect world is Dahlin + a talented forward for me

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I certainly don't want to see him traded. as I said, I like him a lot. But usually where there's smoke, there's fire. I really don't think it would shock any of us if he were traded given all the recent rumors surrounding him. I wouldn't like it, but again I wouldn't cry over it.
Rumors by who? Chayka said himself he is happy with Domi.

Tad Mikowski

Hail to the King Baby
Sponsor
May 31, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Rumors by who? Chayka said himself he is happy with Domi.

I'm sure he is. But Friedman was saying that they were "Ready to give him a fresh start" and "Expect him traded by the draft". Now I don't know if that's true or not, but its not nothing either. Is it speculation? Probably, But Friedman isn't exactly Eklund.

Reactions: _Del_

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
I'm surprised with how well Panik has played. After the first 15 games or so, I thought he was a lost cause. His chemistry on the Keller-Stepan line has been excellent recently.

And that snow shower on Domingue was pretty funny last night too.

At this point, Keller can make anyone look good on his line.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I'm sure he is. But Friedman was saying that they were "Ready to give him a fresh start" and "Expect him traded by the draft". Now I don't know if that's true or not, but its not nothing either. Is it speculation? Probably, But Friedman isn't exactly Eklund.
You are right, now I remember.

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
And, if you forgive this OT part of my post, my BMW maintenance is roughly 3 times the cost for equivalent work on my Mazda.

Barroway has done less to alienate fans than any of the previous ownership cadres, including the NHL. I know some West Siders are pissed, but still, Barroway's gold in my book.

Won’t speak for Feckless but this west sider just wants a stable franchise. Doesn’t matter where in the Phoenix Metro they wind up playing.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Won’t speak for Feckless but this west sider just wants a stable franchise. Doesn’t matter where in the Phoenix Metro they wind up playing.

I just want the team to be stable. No more fly-by-night ownership groups. No more subsidy/handout wrangling. No more strong-arm moves from Bettman. No more Friends of Gretzky. No more Compliance Reviews. In my ideal world, the Coyotes would get a new barn by Salt River Fields, financed privately, with a new owner from Arizona who is in this for more than just a real estate deal or a "Flip This Franchise" situation. But I've long since realized that my idealized world doesn't leach into the real one, so I'm just going to cheer for the team right up until they pack the vans for Houston.

Last edited:

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Two things are going to decide our offseason direction (outside of any ownership stuff):

1) What happens at the draft lottery. Best case scenario is winning Dahlin. This fills a need at RD. Second best is picking 2-4 and getting an NHL-ready talent in Tkachuk, Zadina, or Svechnikov. This fills a need for a top six winger. Worst case scenario is falling to 5OV or lower, and drafting someone who can't help immediately, or the pick is dealt for immediate help.

2) Dylan Strome. He either plays well enough down the stretch that we're comfortable penciling him on for a center role next season. Or he plays well enough but we still move him to upgrade for another center. Or doesn't play well enough and we package him likely with someone like Domi for an upgrade at center. Domi's role is then possibly filled by one of the guys picked 2-4.

cobra427

May 6, 2012

I didn't say I want to trade him. But, wingers are easy to replace and Domi isn't anything special, yet. We are going to have to give up something of value in a trade to get back value. I wouldn't trade our top 5D and I wouldn't trade Stepan/DVO or Strome because of his low value and upside. That leaves us with wingers as trade bait in a package. Keller is the only winger I would not trade.

I would trade Domi for RNH as an example, might not be enough. RNH is worth more, but Domi will make a ton less and has upside.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
If we trade for a center, where does that leave Strome? Include him in the deal?

I don't really see a fit for him in Tucson or playing him on the wing.

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Can we get some value out of Capobianco, Mermis, or Dineen right now? Maybe as part of a package?

That would open up an AHL slot for Hickey, so maybe that's one of the options Chayka's looking at?

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Can we get some value out of Capobianco, Mermis, or Dineen right now? Maybe as part of a package?

That would open up an AHL slot for Hickey, so maybe that's one of the options Chayka's looking at?

I'd have to think that those three players are higher in practical value than Hickey. Not sure why Chayka would want to move them just to open a slot for Hickey.

Reactions: lanky

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I was thinking something like Capobianco, Crouse, MIN 2nd for ? That package should have some value for a team looking for cheap, immediate help with some upside.

Then sign Hickey and draft a forward.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
I was thinking something like Capobianco, Crouse, MIN 2nd for ? That package should have some value for a team looking for cheap, immediate help with some upside.

Then sign Hickey and draft a forward.

I'd personally like to keep Cap. I've liked him a lot and see a happy coyotes top 4 PMD future :D. He could be the perfect Goligoski replacement in a few years!

Reactions: Sthlmyote

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona

I manage a shop so I'm well aware of the maintenance costs. That was my point. If that first oil change gives you heartburn, you shouldn't have bought the car (which I see all the time). He and Betman said the team couldn't survive without a new subsidy/arena the moment he bought the team. That told me he couldn't afford it. If he's selling or even taking on new partners already, that proves it.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I manage a shop so I'm well aware of the maintenance costs. That was my point. If that first oil change gives you heartburn, you shouldn't have bought the car (which I see all the time). He and Betman said the team couldn't survive without a new subsidy/arena the moment he bought the team. That told me he couldn't afford it. If he's selling or even taking on new partners already, that proves it.
Is that rhetorical or do you know my car? Come by and say hi if you see me in the car at the games! HOnestly, I don't know how in the world you can make a profit at the GRA. I like the arena. It's worth it to me to make that miserable drive, but there aren't enough people who like me will brave, or are able to brave the rush hour traffic. Florida has a good team and a lousy location. They don't draw either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad