Speculation: 2017 - 2018 Roster Discussion Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I'd like to see how Chayka manages nailing down the goalie situation and adding some depth this offseason before thinking about it one way the other.
If he extends OEL and Raanta I think there's a case to also extend Chayka now. He's not afraid to make creative moves that address long term needs. He's fortified our G and D positions to the point where they have become strengths. I'm confident he's going to do something to improve our C depth as well this off season.

The danger in waiting is a big market team with deeper pockets comes calling.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
If he extends OEL and Raanta I think there's a case to also extend Chayka now. He's not afraid to make creative moves that address long term needs. He's fortified our G and D positions to the point where they have become strengths. I'm confident he's going to do something to improve our C depth as well this off season.

I would wait. Let's see how next year goes. On the other hand, how much influence does AB have on the moves Chayka made?

Last edited:

cobra427

May 6, 2012

I would wait also. Chayka hasn't proven anything yet. I think he has done a good job, hasn't made any bad moves and its hard to tell how many of his moves are financially constrained. I don't see another team wanting and paying up for a 29 year old GM with 1 year of experience. If we were a 100 point team this year, and next year, different story.

Reactions: Jakey53

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
The clock resets any time there is a change in ownership or general manager. I learned that on this very forum.
You learned wrong then or are taking something out of context. I'd love to hear someone make a compelling argument that the rebuild didn't start the year they tanked (and f***ing failed) for McEichel.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
You learned wrong then or are taking something out of context. I'd love to hear someone make a compelling argument that the rebuild didn't start the year they tanked (and ****ing failed) for McEichel.

And even then, it took about half the year before that plan was put into motion, given Hanzal's injury status.

Ultimately, even if ownership or GM changes, that doesn't necessitate a rebuild 100%. I think the word rebuild gets thrown around a little too much - there is a lot more re-arranging of the deck chairs, as opposed to going out and finding the coolest new design. We have stayed pretty true to form, regardless. Once that season was over, Chayka came in and presented a new vision to how we develop the team, even if he was not under the title of GM. Eventually, we found that maybe there were some obstacles to the way the rebuild was to be conducted - Maloney, Tippett, or other management may have been those obstacles. It could have also been that some weren't necessarily obstacles, but didn't quite be the right fit (such as identifying Tippett's coaching style as being not the right time for this team). Doesn't mean that b/c of the change in ownership, we have directly changed the entire path that the organization was trying to get to.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
You learned wrong then or are taking something out of context. I'd love to hear someone make a compelling argument that the rebuild didn't start the year they tanked (and ****ing failed) for McEichel.

The rebuild started last summer. Oh, I know what you're thinking, this team has been rebuilding for at least the last 3 yrs, but I'm talking about rebuild 2.0.

The team decided to go in a new direction 6 months ago. They decided Chayka would be the GM for this adventure, and DT the coach.

The team took a drastic turn by fielding the youngest team in the organizations history; something like 7 rookies have played so far this year.

Were six months into rebuild 2.0. I doubt anyone in the front office thought the team would contend this year, so why would they fire the coach? When a corporation brings in a new CEO to turn around the business they don't fire him/her after 6 months.

I'm giving him until the end of the 2018-19 season to make the playoffs. If we don't I would find a new GM and coach.

All the hangers on endorsed that, so I'd hate to think we're not all on the same page. Clearly it is year one of rebuild 3.0. Change of direction. Change of ownership. Change of final decision-maker for hockey ops. Change in coach. Clearly a new direction.

If finishing with 14 wins in the last 33 games last season was good enough performance and reason to not fire the coach in year one of rebuild 2.0, surely the actual progression of the team outside of the first 20 games and 14-11-6 in 2018 is good enough for more rope for rebuild 3.0?

Reactions: Yandover and CC96

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
All the hangers on endorsed that, so I'd hate to think we're not all on the same page. Clearly it is year one of rebuild 3.0. Change of direction. Change of ownership. Change of final decision-maker for hockey ops. Change in coach. Clearly a new direction.

If finishing with 14 wins in the last 33 games last season was good enough performance and reason to not fire the coach in year one of rebuild 2.0, surely the actual progression of the team outside of the first 20 games and 14-11-6 in 2018 is good enough for more rope for rebuild 3.0?
You all are f***ing obsessed with each other. You need to get a room already.

Reactions: Jakey53 and RemoAZ

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Not a surprise when you look at our D corps (assuming OEL re-signs) but latest 31 Thoughts indicates Hickey won't sign and we are looking to deal his rights.

Reactions: Grimes

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I'm legit surprised they signed Madsen so 1/2, even if it's the lesser of, ain't too bad.
Figured we'd keep neither.

Not sure what they could get for his rights though if anything. A 6th/7th?
Coyotes traded a 5th for Goligoski's and he's a player.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Not a surprise when you look at our D corps (assuming OEL re-signs) but latest 31 Thoughts indicates Hickey won't sign and we are looking to deal his rights.
Dang. I really like his game and hoped the Boston U connection would help get him to sign.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I'm legit surprised they signed Madsen so 1/2, even if it's the lesser of, ain't too bad.
Figured we'd keep neither.

Not sure what they could get for his rights though if anything. A 6th/7th?
Coyotes traded a 5th for Goligoski's and he's a player.
A 3rd I suspect

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
My idea is trade him now for Marko Dano so Dano can finish the season playing with the Coyotes. See if he fits in the Coyotes system.
Jets are another deep D that Hickey likely doesn't want to get trapped in AHL behind. Oilers are the obvious candidate. Rangers?

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Friedman also indicated the Flames are looking for a 1st and it may take a big move in order to do that. Once again I go back to Hamilton.

Reactions: Antonche

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
I’m for trading it.

But that said, I’d be okay winning Dahlin and signing Bozak.

Perlini - Strome - Bozak

Bozak takes the draw and moves back to RW

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
With Hammer and Demers out what does our D look like....besides a lot younger?

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
With Hammer and Demers out what does our D look like....besides a lot younger?

Schenn and K-Conn will play out the stretch. Murphy will probably get in a few and has earned the look. I think they still owe Hanley either a little bit more cash or another NHL game or two. All of those guys should be pretty hungry.

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
Not in on trading a top 10 pick. Too much risk this year. Lots to choose from, too.

From what I gathered, both Raanta and OEL talks are progressing good. Nothing imminent but I’d be hard pressed not to see them both signed.

JVR would be a good FA acquisition. Another goal scorer threat outside Perlini who came in as a natural goal scorer. Unknown on JVR’s foot speed and 200’game.

I’m also not so keen on Hamilton for what the price would be. Good dman, but I like what we have. I’d also rather pay what it would take for Hamilton on a C upgrade rather than D.

Outside of Strome I don’t see a whole lot in Tucson that would impact the Coyotes line up, either. I like Merkley, I just don’t see him as an upgrade on anyone aside from archibald, but I think Crouse may make a case for that 13 forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad