Speculation: 2017 - 2018 Roster Discussion Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
He has had final authority on the roster for less than nine months. I doubt he's feeling a lot of heat. Lol Out of excuses. Oh, Lord.
What do you mean an excuse? When do you feel we will make the playoffs? I guess if we use your 49 games sample, that will be next year, or is that unrealistic like you said?

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I don't think the odds are good we make the playoffs next year. We don't even have a starting goaltender under contract (because we'll have so much more leverage the longer we wait, and we aren't convinced we should pay him, remember?)

Lilhoody

Nov 25, 2016
Peoria, AZ
Is that the same Connauton with more goals than Max Domi? :naughty:

This board seems to remember him for last year's season, which he he began injured. He is the equiv of a three year vet (@ 240 GP) , makes $1M, plays clean hockey and maybe finding his way. I like him in a Yote uni and hope to see him back next season.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
I'll start thinking it's at least possible when this team has more than one top 6 center under contract. I love Dvorak but he's not a top 6 guy yet on a team above 17th.
Exactly! The huge piece if this equation is Strome, is he a top 6 center and will he be there in the next 2 years? If the answer is no to either of those things than we need to make that move at the draft/FA.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
He has had final authority on the roster for less than nine months. I doubt he's feeling a lot of heat. Lol Out of excuses. Oh, Lord.

He has at least had some sort of influence in the decision-making process for three seasons, but only two as GM. The way I see it is even if his decisions behind signings and trades were finally of his decision-making, and his alone - all of the decisions as a collective group still probably had a significant upside according to his evaluation metrics. I don't think he purposely tried to add players that went against his evaluation processes.

I don't think the seat is hot either, but it will look awfully suspect if the focus on finding the pieces through his methodology fails to come to fruition or doesn't translate to the start of a second/third straight season.

Lilhoody

Nov 25, 2016
Peoria, AZ
I hope Raanta's injury Hx has more to do w/ additional work volume, than being a "Glass Joe". Even with injury he is @ 30% more GP this season, over last.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I hope Raanta's injury Hx has more to do w/ additional work volume, than being a "Glass Joe". Even with injury he is @ 30% more GP this season, over last.
Raanta is still at less then half the season in games played. We need him to be at 55+ games and at his current level of play. Raanta hasn't proven either yet but I hope he does next year for us.

BOGO

Oct 20, 2017
Raanta is still at less then half the season in games played. We need him to be at 55+ games and at his current level of play. Raanta hasn't proven either yet but I hope he does next year for us.

There was an interesting series of tweets from former Coyotes backup goalie Brent Johnson regarding goaltending and how many games they should play and Brayden Holtby. I heard it on a podcast, but I am sure you can find the tweets easily enough with that link. Basically, the jest of it was that being a NHL goaltender is an extremely taxing mentally and seeing this comment reminded me of it. Working Raanta into a starting rotation should not be an instant expectation. His body is paying for it this year and once he settles into a groove it will probably all settle down (I hope!).

Lilhoody

Nov 25, 2016
Peoria, AZ
I agree with @cobra427 and @BOGO

Some goalies hit the league in double digit GP and never looked back (Lundqvist and Price). Some eased into starter roles; albeit at different jumps in GP (Dubnyk, Quick and Fluery) . At a glance, they all (five listed) get broken or regressed. Like a work out or running program, incremental increases in volume is safest, to prevent injury and achieve gains. All I was saying, hoping really, is this theory equates to Raanta's path.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I'm just not sure we can conclude his injuries are due to playing more games though. Mostly basing this on his preseason injury I brought up a few days ago. He wasn't playing a lot of games when he got injured then.

Nor was he playing a lot of games when he (likely, they never confirm) re-aggravated the same injury 3 games into the season.

He wasn't suffering for playing a lot of games when he got bonked in the head by Couture and missed a week and change of games. Nor does getting hit in the head have much to do with it anyway.

Then he missed another 2 games due to the car accident.

Now his most recent lower body injury? Is it the same injury from earlier this season/preseason or is it something else? I dunno. So it could be something that never fully healed? Or it could just be something else.

The extra games aren't affecting his performance. Quite the opposite even, he's having a career year to this point.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
There was an interesting series of tweets from former Coyotes backup goalie Brent Johnson regarding goaltending and how many games they should play and Brayden Holtby. I heard it on a podcast, but I am sure you can find the tweets easily enough with that link. Basically, the jest of it was that being a NHL goaltender is an extremely taxing mentally and seeing this comment reminded me of it. Working Raanta into a starting rotation should not be an instant expectation. His body is paying for it this year and once he settles into a groove it will probably all settle down (I hope!).
When we signed smith, he had lead us to the WCF and lead the NHL in shutouts the next year. That signing proved to be expensive and a mistake given Smith being inconsistent and injured. But Smith had proven he could carry the load at a high level, I get why they did it and there was likely a big market for smith at the time.

Raanta has not proven he can handle a starters load yet. More minutes could mean more injuries, tougher mentally to always be up, etc... it's just different. I think he can do it, but there is no need to pay him proven starter money (4.5+, 5 years+). Raanta should get very good low end starter money and term 3-4 years/3-4 mill. I think that is market. The recent Darling and Talbot signings will make GM's including Chayka cautious.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
When we signed smith, he had lead us to the WCF and lead the NHL in shutouts the next year. That signing proved to be expensive and a mistake given Smith being inconsistent and injured. But Smith had proven he could carry the load at a high level, I get why they did it and there was likely a big market for smith at the time.

Raanta has not proven he can handle a starters load yet. More minutes could mean more injuries, tougher mentally to always be up, etc... it's just different. I think he can do it, but there is no need to pay him proven starter money (4.5+, 5 years+). Raanta should get very good low end starter money and term 3-4 years/3-4 mill. I think that is market. The recent Darling and Talbot signings will make GM's including Chayka cautious.
I think there’s only one poster on HF who is adamant about raanta getting the Andersen deal. Everyone else pegs a deal around $4M per.

BOGO

Oct 20, 2017

I think there’s only one poster on HF who is adamant about raanta getting the Andersen deal. Everyone else pegs a deal around $4M per.

I agree, I am not saying they should pay him like a proven starter. I am just talking about how the transition to becoming a starter is likely a tough adjustment, and we may be seeing some of the injuries with Raanta because he has not properly adjusted yet. That does not mean he will be injury prone. There are a lot of intangibles.

zz

Nov 1, 2006
Chayka's only concern would be being the scapegoat for poor ownership - poor as in no $.

Poor ownership can only be blamed if we can't afford to retain good players. There is no point in overpaying UFAs at this time anyway. We need a competitive core to develop from within.

Reactions: RemoAZ

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Poor ownership can only be blamed if we can't afford to retain good players. There is no point in overpaying UFAs at this time anyway. We need a competitive core to develop from within.
I won't argue that, but will say that Chayka's sample size is hardly ample enough for his ouster to be a consideration.

Reactions: zz

zz

Nov 1, 2006
I won't argue that, but will say that Chayka's sample size is hardly ample enough for his ouster to be a consideration.

Agreed. Considering the progress that has been made, I want to see one more season before either coach or GM gets the axe.

Reactions: hbk

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I'd extend Chayka. He's made a believer out of me.
Most of his trades and signings have been very good, but have not translated into wins. IF we are out of the playoff picture early next year many fingers will point to Chayka. In my heart, I really thought we would be fighting for a playoff spot this year and if Chayka can do a bit of tweaking I think we can be playoff bound next year, but if not he could be on the hot seat.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
Most of his trades and signings have been very good, but have not translated into wins. IF we are out of the playoff picture early next year many fingers will point to Chayka. In my heart, I really thought we would be fighting for a playoff spot this year and if Chayka can do a bit of tweaking I think we can be playoff bound next year, but if not he could be on the hot seat.

I agree but I figured we would be in the bottom 10. I’m not upset about not sniffing playoffs, but my expectations were a little lower than most

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I'd like to see how Chayka manages nailing down the goalie situation and adding some depth this offseason before thinking about it one way the other.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I'd like to see how Chayka manages nailing down the goalie situation and adding some depth this offseason before thinking about it one way the other.
I think it will come down to how we play next year. Like they say, time will tell.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->