Speculation: 2017 - 2018 Roster Discussion Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Can't place it, but didn't another Yotes goalie use a similar design i.e. footprint logo on the front like that?
Anders Lindback.

Looks like it was also a Dave Art... (Dave is running out of ideas - MOAR LENSE FLARESZZZ!!!

12507506_10153845033599819_5495134869417297264_n.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Mosby

rt

May 13, 2004
Thoughts on Wahlstrom if we pick 5-7 (based on Vancouver full tank and also potentially passing Buffalo/Ottawa)
If Chayka and staff say they like Wahlstrom best at #4 and take him over Tkachuk, Hughes, Boqvist, Bouchard, Dobson, and Smith, I'm fine with that. I won't be upset.

Daisy Ridley

Feb 28, 2018
So what are your guys thoughts on Max Domi? I remember two or three years ago being so excited to see him play. Seems like he's maybe a 2nd or 3rd liner at best?

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Wahlstrom is rising on the charts. Someone will take him early.

From NHL.com "He's an elite world-class talent and has a great work ethic to match," NTDP U-18 coach Seth Appert said. "He's most known for his goal-scoring ability and elite shot; he can hit a one-timer as good or better than most NHL players. He has a quick release on his line rushes and he can beat a goalie from further out than most players."

Reactions: Sthlmyote

rt

May 13, 2004
Wahlstrom is rising on the charts. Someone will take him early.

From NHL.com "He's an elite world-class talent and has a great work ethic to match," NTDP U-18 coach Seth Appert said. "He's most known for his goal-scoring ability and elite shot; he can hit a one-timer as good or better than most NHL players. He has a quick release on his line rushes and he can beat a goalie from further out than most players."
I've never seen him play. Is he a RHS version of Perlini?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
If you're expectations were to compete for the playoffs this season and that fails, how can you reasonably set your expectation for next season to be beyond that by actually making the playoffs. I mean, it'd be great if they did, but it's like you set your goals for the next 5 years before this season, and then when they turn out to be overestimating the team, the goals still stand and you have to take two steps the following year. That's how rebuilds get rushed; you trade away some assets, or rush prospects up before they're ready, or whatever else that damages the team's long-term window to being serious contenders all so that the team can make the playoffs a season earlier because some one like the owner just can't wait any longer.
I didn't say trade away prospects. This is year three of the rebuild and most of the kids that made the jump have been here a year or more, are maturing, gaining experience etc. The vets we signed last year have been a step up from previous signings so on paper we should be a much better team. Every team goes thru this cycle and it only lasts so long until you have to start over. Every team sets goals well into the future, some teams do it better than others, but the building blocks for the future have to be in place before you will succeed. The building blocks have been added for almost three years now, with more added next year. It's time to raise the bar and expect the Coyotes to be in the playoffs. This year has been a disappointment, but next year it's the playoffs or bust.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
This year has been a disappointment, but next year it's the playoffs or bust.
So the game is still to set an unlikely goal and then cry "disaster"? Again?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
So the game is still to set an unlikely goal and then cry "disaster"? Again?
Give me a break. Sniffing around for a playoff berth is what this team should be doing instead of battling to stay out of last place in the entire NHL. which by the way, is a disaster. Next year, year four of our rebuild, this team should be expected to make the playoffs. That may be an unlikely goal to you because you have low standards for this team, but next year we have to be in the playoffs. If we want to be a playoff team for many years it has to start when the core is young.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Thoughts on Wahlstrom if we pick 5-7 (based on Vancouver full tank and also potentially passing Buffalo/Ottawa)

Would be very happy over here. He looks like a Perlini with higher IQ but less tools. I like him more than Tkachuk in every facet of his game besides the intangibles, which I do think is needed on the team. Speaking of, does he not have a prospect thread on the MB or do I just keep passing it?

I think at the 4-5 spot I would prefer one of the defenseman but Wahlstrom has been appreading in that 4 spot on more and more lists.

Hogan20

Leader of the JJ Moser Fan Club
May 1, 2016
Maine
Give me a break. Sniffing around for a playoff berth is what this team should be doing instead of battling to stay out of last place in the entire NHL. which by the way, is a disaster. Next year, year four of our rebuild, this team should be expected to make the playoffs. That may be an unlikely goal to you because you have low standards for this team, but next year we have to be in the playoffs. If we want to be a playoff team for many years it has to start when the core is young.
Since when is the third year supposed to a year in which you're right around the playoff bubble? We keep talking about how "oh this year we should be contending and on the bubble and it's disappointing that we're battling to stay out of last place and etc, etc, etc." when, in reality, there is no specific set of rules for year one, year two, year three, and on and on. Some rebuilds take longer then others and in the case of the Coyotes, a team that has a very strict internal budget and unfortunately had some weak drafting (players like Turris and Wheeler don't count in this situation), things just don't always go as smoothly as planned.
Yes, everyone wants this team to succeed and do well each year but this year was bound to get off to a slow start with the new coaching staff and Raanta going down for an extended period of time. The big thing is that now that everyone's healthy and we're winning games and we're looking really good. A little more tinkering and we'll be looking to become a contender next year and with time hopefully we'll be a serious threat in just a year or two.

Reactions: Sthlmyote and _Del_

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
We never had forwards with this kind of speed, so of course the team couldn't play this way. Actually the back end is, in OEL/hammer/Chychrun/Goose/Demers and Raanta with his recent play, we are very much like teams of old, hard to score against.

Our D of old still didn’t have the offensive capabilities of the D we have now.

Before you basically had OEL (and Yandle) as puck movers. The rest were all more or less shut down type players.

Now you have....

OEL
Chychrun
Goligoski
Connauton
and posssibly Demers

...who can all jump into plays.

This isn’t the same D as before. It’s better.

Reactions: SR

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Preseason Jake: "There are so many question marks going into this year with a new coach and a big roster turn over."
"but what scares me this year is all the turn over...for us to improve Raanta has to be a rock this year...the way it looks we are depending on the kids to replace this points which they may or may not work... You could be right and we only improve slightly"

8 games in with ECHL goaltending: "worst hockey ever!"

Over .500 in past 49 games, 14-8-6 in 2018, looking to have a better point total even after and including horrific start: "who cares?! We should be talking about the playoffs!"

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
Can't place it, but didn't another Yotes goalie use a similar design i.e. footprint logo on the front like that?

I think ol babs may have had something similar. Was a design off of the Alternate jerseys

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Thinking it's the Lindback one rt posted.

On another note, just watched a helluva performance from Mika Zibanejad. Wow. Certainly piques my interest in acquiring him.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Since when is the third year supposed to a year in which you're right around the playoff bubble? We keep talking about how "oh this year we should be contending and on the bubble and it's disappointing that we're battling to stay out of last place and etc, etc, etc." when, in reality, there is no specific set of rules for year one, year two, year three, and on and on. Some rebuilds take longer then others and in the case of the Coyotes, a team that has a very strict internal budget and unfortunately had some weak drafting (players like Turris and Wheeler don't count in this situation), things just don't always go as smoothly as planned.
Yes, everyone wants this team to succeed and do well each year but this year was bound to get off to a slow start with the new coaching staff and Raanta going down for an extended period of time. The big thing is that now that everyone's healthy and we're winning games and we're looking really good. A little more tinkering and we'll be looking to become a contender next year and with time hopefully we'll be a serious threat in just a year or two.
Isn't a contender in the playoffs? Or do you mean a contender not to be last? What do you mean "we'll be a serious threat in a year or two". Playoff bound? SC contender? Next year this team has to be in the playoffs. Chayka will be on the hot seat next year as he will be out of excuses.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
List of goalies with as many (or more) GP as Raanta who have a better save percentage:

1. Pekka Rinne

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Preseason Jake: "There are so many question marks going into this year with a new coach and a big roster turn over."
"but what scares me this year is all the turn over...for us to improve Raanta has to be a rock this year...the way it looks we are depending on the kids to replace this points which they may or may not work... You could be right and we only improve slightly"

8 games in with ECHL goaltending: "worst hockey ever!"

Over .500 in past 49 games, 14-8-6 in 2018, looking to have a better point total even after and including horrific start: "who cares?! We should be talking about the playoffs!"
You better believe there were question marks, and there still is, just look at the standings. We had 70 pts. last year, so a improvement to 80 - 85 pts. should have been expected, and we would be sniffing around for a playoff berth, not quite there but getting closer. Hell, we probably won't match last years totals, but who cares, just look at our past 49 games. IF we had gotten to 80-85 pts. this year I bet most would expect the playoffs next year.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
List of goalies with as many (or more) GP as Raanta who have a better save percentage:

1. Pekka Rinne

You forgot Gibson an Hellebuyck, and Raanta has only playedd in 39 games. If he plays 2 more games it is half a season. Verdict is still out as to if Raanta can play 55+ games at a high level.

Goalies that have played more games then Raanta this year: 25

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Our D of old still didn’t have the offensive capabilities of the D we have now.

Before you basically had OEL (and Yandle) as puck movers. The rest were all more or less shut down type players.

Now you have....

OEL
Chychrun
Goligoski
Connauton
and posssibly Demers

...who can all jump into plays.

This isn’t the same D as before. It’s better.
If its better, then we should be much better as a team. It isn't better then AA/Klesla/Rozy/DMO/Yanddle/OEL. I am talking over all. Better then the post Yandle years, yes, much better. The D and Raanta can carry us, it has been our strength in 2018.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Left off Gibson and Hellebuyck as they were both equal to Raanta, although Gibson’s number has surely improved with tonight’s shutout.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad