2017-2018 News Around The NHL Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Knights have been dominating the 2nd and 3rd period against the Leafs tonight.
Of course Smith and Marchessault seem to come out of Leafs play by play every 5 minutes. They play with a chip on their shoulder and somehow Lagace just stoned Matthews. Fun team to watch but a part of me still doesn't think they can sustain this.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Knights have been dominating the 2nd and 3rd period against the Leafs tonight.
Of course Smith and Marchessault seem to come out of Leafs play by play every 5 minutes. They play with a chip on their shoulder and somehow Lagace just stoned Matthews. Fun team to watch but a part of me still doesn't think they can sustain this.

They are a hard working team.

Even if they go .500 the rest of the way, its a huge success.

Reactions: I am not exposed

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
They are a hard working team.

Even if they go .500 the rest of the way, its a huge success.

Ya our compete level is nowhere close to this, I'd argue a lot of these guys playing to show up their previous teams and also for their next contract. Tuch is a guy I've been keeping an eye on, big strong power-forward. 4 goals, 7pts in 9 games.

They also have a ton of LD, both RFA and UFA on 1 year deals. Doubt they sell if they can keep it up but we should be making some calls.

Reactions: Pumaconcolorcoryi

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Ya our compete level is nowhere close to this, I'd argue a lot of these guys playing to show up their previous teams and also for their next contract. Tuch is a guy I've been keeping an eye on, big strong power-forward. 4 goals, 7pts in 9 games.

They also have a ton of LD, both RFA and UFA on 1 year deals. Doubt they sell if they can keep it up but we should be making some calls.

Yeah

Leafs pbp were saying how they win on sheer hard work.

Love the 4th line

Effort is always sustainable

If they .500, they end with 87. Thats without OTLs

They will be better when MAF returns

Reactions: ThePatientPanther

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Yeah

Leafs pbp were saying how they win on sheer hard work.

Love the 4th line

Effort is always sustainable

If they .500, they end with 87. Thats without OTLs

They will be better when MAF returns

Agree on the effort but just feel the better teams will start to come alive in the West. They have LA, ANA, CGY and EDM in their division. Very impressive so far though and would be a emotionally uplifting season for a city that experienced a pretty horrific event just before the season started. Marchessault probably re-signs to stay with his new best buddy in Smith. They'd be smart to re-sign Neal as he's still only 30 and clearly one of the team's leaders.

How well did Gallant like Petrovic? :sarcasm:

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Agree on the effort but just feel the better teams will start to come alive in the West. They have LA, ANA, CGY and EDM in their division. Very impressive so far though and would be a emotionally uplifting season for a city that experienced a pretty horrific event just before the season started. Marchessault probably re-signs to stay with his new best buddy in Smith. They'd be smart to re-sign Neal as he's still only 30 and clearly one of the team's leaders.

How well did Gallant like Petrovic? :sarcasm:

Maybe. But I think they at least go .500 the rest of the way. Bare minimum...barring anymore injuries and goalie debacles.

Really bullish for Vegas mainly because of GG.

Didnt like him year one but he really gained my respect. He gets results.

Petrovic is a poor man's Guds in his eyes lol

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011

Not selling the next 2-3 years would be an awful decision long term for Vegas.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Maybe. But I think they at least go .500 the rest of the way. Bare minimum...barring anymore injuries and goalie debacles.

Really bullish for Vegas mainly because of GG.

Didnt like him year one but he really gained my respect. He gets results.

Petrovic is a poor man's Guds in his eyes lol

You think .500 even if they start trading off guys like Neal or the other UFA's? I had a love hate for Gallant, some things were great when he was here but some things made me pull my hair out.

I do like the way Vegas plays, could be attributed to Gallant but I feel more for each player to prove themselves as better than cast-offs/expansion expendable.

Not selling the next 2-3 years would be an awful decision long term for Vegas.

Ya it's a tricky spot for McPhee, give the fans a look see at playoffs to attract more fans but I agree long term, they should build through the draft but they do have a fair bit of picks already for 2019 and 2020.

Curious to see how this plays out. Neal will probably net you the biggest return but he seems to be "the guy" there right now and is becoming a recognizable face for the new fans. I'd sign Neal and try to acquire picks with some of the defense, since they have a ton of them.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
You think .500 even if they start trading off guys like Neal or the other UFA's? I had a love hate for Gallant, some things were great when he was here but some things made me pull my hair out.

I do like the way Vegas plays, could be attributed to Gallant but I feel more for each player to prove themselves as better than cast-offs/expansion expendable.

Ya it's a tricky spot for McPhee, give the fans a look see at playoffs to attract more fans but I agree long term, they should build through the draft but they do have a fair bit of picks already for 2019 and 2020.

Curious to see how this plays out. Neal will probably net you the biggest return but he seems to be "the guy" there right now and is becoming a recognizable face for the new fans. I'd sign Neal and try to acquire picks with some of the defense, since they have a ton of them.
I would definitely trade Neal if I was Vegas. Will return a 1st and a prospect imo.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
True. But he's a UFA and would be looking for big money. Plus wouldn't want to give up assets like that considering the state the team is currently in!
Vegas could try to sell the idea to Neal, that he could just come back for next season and they'll promise to move him to a contender at the TDL. Vegas can pay him at least 2-3M per season more than anyone else (low taxes too) and he'd earn more in less years.

Retain 50% and trade Neal, sign him in free agency, rinse and repeat for a few years. That's a guaranteed 1st+ every year.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
LMFAO WTF. Cant believe this is REAL!

68080-e1510077320210.jpg

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Vegas could try to sell the idea to Neal, that he could just come back for next season and they'll promise to move him to a contender at the TDL. Vegas can pay him at least 2-3M per season more than anyone else (low taxes too) and he'd earn more in less years.

Retain 50% and trade Neal, sign him in free agency, rinse and repeat for a few years. That's a guaranteed 1st+ every year.

That would be great for Vegas, but you have to think Neal might want more security with a longer contract. Even if you take into the account the lower tax rates of Vegas.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
That would be great for Vegas, but you have to think Neal might want more security with a longer contract. Even if you take into the account the lower tax rates of Vegas.
Security vs. chance to win, basically. Unless he takes a big discount, none of the top tier teams can afford him.

The past two offseasons teams also seem to trending towards less likely to give crazy long-term contracts to guys that are over 30.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I would definitely trade Neal if I was Vegas. Will return a 1st and a prospect imo.

How young do they get next year though? They will still need some veteran mentors on the team. Depends if there's some mutual interest from Neal and VGK's management to accelerate this rebuild, keep him and they can also open up the wallet for him if need be. If he was say 35, I'd agree with you on him wanting to leave to a contender and management giving him that respect but he's 30. A 5 year deal would be ideal but 6-7 years would probably be the ask from his side.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Trivia: I don't know where to put this......so move it to the appropriate thread if necessary.

He won two Stanley Cups and was once called by one of his head coaches as "the best skater in the NHL." Who was this mystery man who played both on the Blue Line (once scored 28 G's) and as a Winger? Playing career in the NHL was throughout the 80's.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Trivia: I don't know where to put this......so move it to the appropriate thread if necessary.

He won two Stanley Cups and was once called by one of his head coaches as "the best skater in the NHL." Who was this mystery man who played both on the Blue Line (once scored 28 G's) and as a Winger? Playing career in the NHL was throughout the 80's.
Reijo "Reksa" Ruotsalainen.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Reijo "Reksa" Ruotsalainen.
And we have a winner. Easy question for most Finns. Millennials no matter what your background probably never heard of the guy.

I remember watching this 5'8" dynamo with the Rangers and to this day I've not seen anyone of that size skate so effortlessly the length of the ice on a rush. Amazing player and fun to watch. :)

Last edited:

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Players got involved from the bench, Mantha was throwing punches at Hamonic when he was already down (Hamonic did jump him at first to be fair) and Tkachuk escalated the whole thing by provoking Witkowski. I don't think Witkowski is the only one that ends up getting suspended.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad