2017-2018 News Around The NHL Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
We could use one. Unfortunately team needed to dump money and one year of him wasn't too bad a price to dump a contract.. he wasn't bringing us to playoffs anyway

If we had left Smith available they would have picked him over Pysyk / Petrovic. They drafted soooo many dmen

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011

Good old hockey trade, makes sense for both teams. I remember the Devils tv crew mentioned when we played them that Henrique had started to play wing this season, they probably didn't see a spot for him long-term. Ducks desperately need a center with Getzlaf & Kesler out and they would've had to move out a d-man at some point anyway with Manson extension kicking in next season.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Maaaaannn...

If Anaheim ever gets healthy this year.....they are STRONG down the middle.

They can go Getzlaf, Kesler, Rakell, Henrique, and Vermette cemented as the 4th line center.

Hot Damn.....Maybe we can pluck Rakell or something when they get healthy :laugh:

flapanthersfan

May 5, 2010
Miami, FL
Henrique and Rakell are pretty versatile and can both play wing. They won't move him. They lack forward depth, too.

This is the type of trade we needed to make. Petro or Pysyk for a forward. Vatanen is obviously way better, though.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
Henrique and Rakell are pretty versatile and can both play wing. They won't move him. They lack forward depth, too.

This is the type of trade we needed to make. Petro or Pysyk for a forward. Vatanen is obviously way better, though.
Ha then who plays when one of our dmen get hurt? Another rookie with no games played?

TheImpatientPanther

Florida Flukin Panthers > LTIR Maple Leafs
Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
....Karlsson...

Man, if there was ever some way.....

Doubt he will take less than $10 million per year, considering the rumours of the salary cap going up to at least $78-80 million in the next year or two, I think he's somewhere in the $11.25 to $12 million range, for 7 or 8 years depending on who owns his rights come negotiation talks. He will probably be the 2nd highest player in the league and rightfully so. He's the best defenseman in the league.

We'd have to ship Yandle out whether in trading for Karlsson or signing him in free agency. One can dream! :nod: :gift:

Reactions: Chaos2k7

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013
Trade them Yandle and a 1st, to get rights and sign for 8 yrs 11 million. Worth it in my eyes.

Hell I'd toss multiple 1sts. Cannot let that pass.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chaos2k7

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014

Man, if there was ever some way.....
Well that sounds like a man who is not happy with the Sens trading their future away for Brassard/Duchene. Those two guys are not playing anywhere near what the Sens expected them to and gone are Zibanejad, Turris, Hammond and Shane Bowers (2017 1st rounder), 2018 1st round pick if it falls out of top 10 or 2019 1st round pick - unconditional, 2018 2nd round pick, 2019 3rd round pick. Since Brasssard/Duchene contract's expire at the same time as Karlsson, conceivably the Sens could lose all 3.

Not a lot of playoff contenders could afford this guy unless it were a Subban/Weber type of deal. I don't see Yandle & a 1st getting it done. This guy is gonna return a generational talent or someone like Yandle and 3 consecutive 1st rounders for those who don't have a generational player (which would gut the Cats future). :(

flapanthersfan

May 5, 2010
Miami, FL
There's no chance they take Yandle.

We'd have to give up one of our cornerstone players.

If the Sens gave us negotiation rights and we were able to re-sign him - I'd do Ekblad for Karlsson.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Karlsson's skating has been slowly declining ever since Cooke cut his achilles tendon and at the same time the rest of the league have reeled in the lead he once had (he's still at the top, but he isn't as one of a kind anymore). By the time he's available for that next contract (29yo), NHL players usually begin to leave their prime.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, that do you want balance (3 good d-men) or top heavy (1 great d-man). I think whoever gives Karlsson 15m per for 7-8 years is going to regret it three to four years in.

flapanthersfan

May 5, 2010
Miami, FL
Karlsson's skating has been slowly declining ever since Cooke cut his achilles tendon and at the same time the rest of the league have reeled in the lead he once had (he's still at the top, but he isn't as one of a kind anymore). By the time he's available for that next contract (29yo), NHL players usually begin to leave their prime.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, that do you want balance (3 good d-men) or top heavy (1 great d-man). I think whoever gives Karlsson 15m per for 7-8 years is going to regret it three to four years in.

He scored 71 points and 82 points in the last two seasons.

If that's his production with "declining skating" - sign me up.

He's still probably the fastest defensman in the NHL aside from maybe Nick Leddy.

No one is going to give him $15 mil. But I'd rather have Karlsson at $11-12 mil than Ekblad at 8.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
There's no chance they take Yandle.

We'd have to give up one of our cornerstone players.

If the Sens gave us negotiation rights and we were able to re-sign him - I'd do Ekblad for Karlsson.
Well if Karlsson's skating is declining, I would still take a bet that Karlsson at age 50 would be able to beat Ekblad's best time at age 21. No way would they be interested in that trade even up + Karlsson has a M-NTC that would eliminate the Cats.

Don't be so sure that he won't get between $13-15M with the Cap going to $80-$82M next year and likely higher by the time he signs his new contract.:)

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
He scored 71 points and 82 points in the last two seasons.

If that's his production with "declining skating" - sign me up.

He's still probably the fastest defensman in the NHL aside from maybe Nick Leddy.

No one is going to give him $15 mil. But I'd rather have Karlsson at $11-12 mil than Ekblad at 8.
Trocheck is a good comparable when you're stuck looking at the points (NOTE: this doesn't mean Trocheck is on the decline, he still hasn't reached his prime). Despite going at a PPG pace this season, Trocheck is playing some of the worst hockey of his young career. Would you take this current Trocheck compared to 2015-16 Trocheck? I wouldn't.

If Karlsson makes it to free agency, someone is going to offer him close to the max in a bidding war. Different story whether Karlsson purely wants the money, or he'd take "less" to hand pick the team he wants.

flapanthersfan

May 5, 2010
Miami, FL
Well if Karlsson's skating is declining, I would still take a bet that Karlsson at age 50 would be able to beat Ekblad's best time at age 21. No way would they be interested in that trade even up + Karlsson has a M-NTC that would eliminate the Cats.

Don't be so sure that he won't get between $13-15M with the Cap going to $80-$82M next year and likely higher by the time he signs his new contract.:)
If Ottawa's choices are to lose Karlsson for nothing if he refuses to re-sign vs. trading him - Ekblad would be exactly the type of player they'd be looking for.

Young, locked up long term and can (somewhat) replace what Karlsson brings on the first pair.

Not many teams have similar players to offfer and the cap space we do.

Likelihood it happens is almost zero, just saying, it makes sense if they can't lock him up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->