2017-2018 News Around The NHL Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
There is some sanity left in the NHL. Nick Ehlers reportedly signed $6M per/7 yrs after posting 64 pts last year. He will be 22 in February. :)

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
Demers gift wrapped the GWG for Anaheim. Guddy-esque. Backhanded no look clear to guess who, the opposition.

In other news, the love fest for Connor McDavid, parade is planned in TOR, nearly every team in Atlantic has two points on us and we didn't even play yet. Sweet.

Last edited:

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
There is some sanity left in the NHL. Nick Ehlers reportedly signed $6M per/7 yrs after posting 64 pts last year. He will be 22 in February. :)

But you know how it is. Jets GM sayed in an interview last Year, its no secret that the Jets hs to offer some extra Money for teh Players to stay. Special with the real strong Winter, some Player hae problem with it. And a Laine alone is no garanty.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Shipachyov assigned to AHL.:laugh:

$4.5M per for 2 years. Another blunder with Luce connections.;)

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Shipachyov assigned to AHL.:laugh:

$4.5M per for 2 years. Another blunder with Luce connections.;)

From what I understand it's just a temporary move because he doesn't need to go through waivers and they needed to have 23 players like everyone else. He's expected to be up soon again; McGee still trying to move all those defencemen they've got.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
From what I understand it's just a temporary move because he doesn't need to go through waivers and they needed to have 23 players like everyone else. He's expected to be up soon again; McGee still trying to move all those defencemen they've got.

Well that makes more sense. :)

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Puts a little pressure on McElhinney. Leafs have $4.75 million in cap space still. I'd assume they talk to Vegas again at or before deadline for a UFA defenseman like McNabb or Garrison. They are going to push hard before they pay the TRIO.
Idk, to me it seems like he's just a placeholder (Andersen is playing 60-65 games if healthy, reminds me of Kipper's prime when he had terrible backups) and there because he's paid peanuts. Leafs have no problem paying his salary for playing in the AHL either.

Interesting to see how Vegas manages to shed players, my guess is that they won't have half of these guys by the TDL (2018 UFAs) if they can just get something back. Subban is a good fall guy for tanking if Fleury gets injured too.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Idk, to me it seems like he's just a placeholder (Andersen is playing 60-65 games if healthy, reminds me of Kipper's prime when he had terrible backups) and there because he's paid peanuts. Leafs have no problem paying his salary for playing in the AHL either.

Interesting to see how Vegas manages to shed players, my guess is that they won't have half of these guys by the TDL (2018 UFAs) if they can just get something back. Subban is a good fall guy for tanking if Fleury gets injured too.

I agree on him being a placeholder but Pickard has displayed decent numbers in short doses. Feel he could get the call up if he does well with the Marlies.

There will be 5-6 teams at the deadline that need some depth due to injuries but ya I don't think they will be able to unload everyone, still need to ice a roster. Subban was a really nice pick-up, he can learn a lot from MAF.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
I agree on him being a placeholder but Pickard has displayed decent numbers in short doses. Feel he could get the call up if he does well with the Marlies.

There will be 5-6 teams at the deadline that need some depth due to injuries but ya I don't think they will be able to unload everyone, still need to ice a roster. Subban was a really nice pick-up, he can learn a lot from MAF.
If Vegas is smart, they'll just trade all the UFAs for players that have a year or two left, + compensation for taking those guys of course. Moulson, Boedker, Brouwer, Callahan, Beleskey, Orpik, etc. those kind of guys. Also they should look at the LTIR guys, Franzen, Bolland, Hossa, etc. Hossa especially, his buyout would be dirt cheap if they could get him to agree to that, it would only make a 1M difference in his earnings and free him to work with the Hawks front office or something like that.

Basically get as many 1st or/and 2nd rounders as possible for the next few years.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
If Vegas is smart, they'll just trade all the UFAs for players that have a year or two left, + compensation for taking those guys of course. Moulson, Boedker, Brouwer, Callahan, Beleskey, Orpik, etc. those kind of guys. Also they should look at the LTIR guys, Franzen, Bolland, Hossa, etc. Hossa especially, his buyout would be dirt cheap if they could get him to agree to that, it would only make a 1M difference in his earnings and free him to work with the Hawks front office or something like that.

Basically get as many 1st or/and 2nd rounders as possible for the next few years.

All good points. They can afford to take the extra year but should be looking to get 2018 picks as they're loaded with 2019 and 2020 picks already. You think Hossa is done done? McPhee has a ton of flexibility to get creative like what you've suggested. They have a ton of defenseman that will go at the deadline.

Neal just scored their first ever goal.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
All good points. They can afford to take the extra year but should be looking to get 2018 picks as they're loaded with 2019 and 2020 picks already. You think Hossa is done done? McPhee has a ton of flexibility to get creative like what you've suggested. They have a ton of defenseman that will go at the deadline.

Neal just scored their first ever goal.
It would be tough to come back from a year off at that age. He'll be 39 next year and while he's kept up producing respectable numbers, the contract doesn't end until 2021 when he's turning 42. Hawks window is open right now, it might be closed by then (2021) already and they could sign many veterans looking for a cup for that money (5.275M). Depth is and has been a huge problem for them since their last cup.

Vegas is going to have a lot of capspace next offseason and I'm not sure how many UFAs they can draw in. Sure they could give a couple guys crazy money short term to fill that gap, but idk how much sense that makes financially. Hossa buyout would be 4.6M dead cap (2M total actual money paid) for three years, Franzen buyout would be 3.2M (1.3M total actual money paid) for two years. Clarkson who they already have is another buyout dead cap canditate (4.5M for two years, 1.3M actual money), he'd get most of his money anyway since it's in signing bonuses (6M, so he'd get 7.3M total) which are paid even if you get bought out.

Fern111

Dec 20, 2015
I've watched the last 3 Canadiens games and I can safely conclude they will not make the playoffs this year. What a complete dumpster fire. That said, if we go with the assumption that we are better than Buffalo, Detroit and now Montreal, we just need to beat Boston and Ottawa for a playoff spot (if Tampa and Toronto finish 1-2 as projected obviously)

Honestly, I like those odds.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Vegas is going to get a neat return for Neal at the TDL if he's still on a 30-40 goal pace.

Yotes look overwhelmed by everything going on so far, maybe they'll turn it around in the next period.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad