2017-2018 News Around The NHL Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Nice segment between periods last night on Paul Kariya as he talked about his induction into the Hall of Fame. He also talked about the hit from that jackass Stevens in the Stanley Cup Playoffs that for all intents and purposes ended his career. He didn't remember anything for 2 days after the hit. Asked if anyone had talked to him about joining the Players Safety Committee he just shrugged and said he hasn't heard from anyone. Stated the league has positively made some changes to help mitigate concussions but still has not done enough to come down hard on those who target the head.

jvr32

Oct 24, 2016

Kerby Rychel among the waivers. #19 pick in 2013 draft, he played for Boughner in Windsor in the Ontario Hockey League for 3 years, he could be a good reclamation project for Florida.

jvr32

Oct 24, 2016
Also Rychel would add even more toughness to the lineup, I think there's a big chance he gets claimed if he stays until Florida's turn.

And Rychel's father Warren is the GM of the Windsor Spitfires in the OHL and is part of the ownership group with Boughner. I see connections everywhere, if he gets passed on by Florida it must be for a very good reason

edit: Florida's forward group is very thin. I'd rather like to see Rychel than Brickley in the team

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Also Rychel would add even more toughness to the lineup, I think there's a big chance he gets claimed if he stays until Florida's turn.

And Rychel's father Warren is the GM of the Windsor Spitfires in the OHL and is part of the ownership group with Boughner. I see connections everywhere, if he gets passed on by Florida it must be for a very good reason

edit: Florida's forward group is very thin. I'd rather like to see Rychel than Brickley in the team
He had attitude issues in Columbus IIRC, that's a big no-no for Tallon.

Pulkkinen would be good for Springfield.

jvr32

Oct 24, 2016
He had attitude issues in Columbus IIRC, that's a big no-no for Tallon.

Pulkkinen would be good for Springfield.

But I bet Boughner knows his character very well and can ask why it didn't work out with the Leafs. If he's highly recommended by Boughner I don't see why Tallon shouldn't believe him.

The only problem I can see is that Florida's roster is full according to CapFriendly. But is it a problem? They can still send Brickley or Tippett (who are most likely) down I believe.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Honest question. Which contract looks worse now? Ekblad or Eichel? Your thoughts?
Aww hell...why you gotta do that to me lol.

Ekblad is being paid as a #1 Elite D, he isnt yet.

Eichel is getting paid as a 80 plus point player, which he hasnt hit yet.

Ill say the one with the higher cap hit as a worse contract, BUT....Eichel has looked closer to an elite upper echelon player than ekblad has....last year anyway...where they both had bad years.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
omfg the irony

"It's exciting," McDavid said. "That's what good teams do, teams that have won, that's kind of their recipe is draft good players and watch them develop."

http://www.sanluisobispo.com/sports/article176756866.html

Hey Connor.. .good one

2720304-4466381394-tumbl.gif

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada

Ill say the one with the higher cap hit as a worse contract, BUT....Eichel has looked closer to an elite upper echelon player than ekblad has....last year anyway...where they both had bad years.

impressive.gif

Ya pretty much what I was thinking too. $10 million is more of an over-payment than $7.5 million is.

Feel Ekblad should have been paid 8 years x $6.5 million at max so $1 million per year isn't too bad.
Feel Eichel should have beenn paid 8 years x $7.5 million at max so that's $2.5 million per is pretty bad.

Eichel's comparable should be similar to RyJo no? 8 years x $8 million ?? Barkov's deal will look petty sweet in another year or two. Buffalo overpaid by a fair bit but as you said, Eichel is closer to being what they've been pegged as by their respective franchises.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver

Eichel's 'bad' year, he had 57 points in 61 games. Almost a PPG player. If that is a bad year, then Barkov has never had a good year either!

Eichel healthy = PPG player. He will hit 82 points this season if he plays all 82 games.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Eichel's 'bad' year, he had 57 points in 61 games. Almost a PPG player. If that is a bad year, then Barkov has never had a good year either!

Eichel healthy = PPG player. He will hit 82 points this season if he plays all 82 games.
Bad for Eichel's standards.

You and I both know Barkov isnt judged by points only. Eichel is. He isnt really pegged as a two-way center. They have RynO for that.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Vegas sign Brandon Pirri

Gallant gotta catch all his year 1 players

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
impressive.gif

Ya pretty much what I was thinking too. $10 million is more of an over-payment than $7.5 million is.

Feel Ekblad should have been paid 8 years x $6.5 million at max so $1 million per year isn't too bad.
Feel Eichel should have beenn paid 8 years x $7.5 million at max so that's $2.5 million per is pretty bad.

Eichel's comparable should be similar to RyJo no? 8 years x $8 million ?? Barkov's deal will look petty sweet in another year or two. Buffalo overpaid by a fair bit but as you said, Eichel is closer to being what they've been pegged as by their respective franchises.

Eichel > RyJo easily.
Bad for Eichel's standards.

You and I both know Barkov isnt judged by points only. Eichel is. He isnt really pegged as a two-way center. They have RynO for that.

It was better than his rookie year. Bad for Eichel's standards how? Almost a PPG coming back from an injury seems pretty damn good to me. And yes, Barkov is a far more complete centre than Eichel. Eichel has the edge offensively. I do think it is an overpayment for Eichel btw. Well, we all know what Matthews will get if he performs similar to last year!

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Eichel > RyJo easily.

It was better than his rookie year. Bad for Eichel's standards how? Almost a PPG coming back from an injury seems pretty damn good to me. And yes, Barkov is a far more complete centre than Eichel. Eichel has the edge offensively. I do think it is an overpayment for Eichel btw. Well, we all know what Matthews will get if he performs similar to last year!

Well, for one, in my opinion he showed no real growth to his game. He was still mostly good only in the offensive zone. As a $10 million dollar player, he needs to be good in all three zones. For a 'Eichel' type franchise player, he needs to be elite in all aspects of the game.

Sure he produced, but he wasnt that great 5 on 5. He was actually below 50 in CF%. I mean, 24 of his points came from the PP. Thats 42% :amazed:

Dont get me wrong, he is an offensive dynamo, but I also expected growth to his all-around game which I just didnt see.

He also didnt have the right coaching around him either so that probably hurt him a bit.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Well, for one, in my opinion he showed no real growth to his game. He was still mostly good only in the offensive zone. As a $10 million dollar player, he needs to be good in all three zones. For a 'Eichel' type franchise player, he needs to be elite in all aspects of the game.

Sure he produced, but he wasnt that great 5 on 5. He was actually below 50 in CF%. I mean, 24 of his points came from the PP. Thats 42% :amazed:

Dont get me wrong, he is an offensive dynamo, but I also expected growth to his all-around game which I just didnt see.

He also didnt have the right coaching around him either so that probably hurt him a bit.

He does need to improve to justify the contract. I do think he is a legit franchise centre. I have doubts if Ekblad can become that legit franchise Dman. Fingers crossed for us!

Reactions: Pumaconcolorcoryi

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
He does need to improve to justify the contract. I do think he is a legit franchise centre. I have doubts if Ekblad can become that legit franchise Dman. Fingers crossed for us!

I definitely agree that Eichel is closer to what he is pegged to be vs Ekblad though.

But, being a defenseman is much, much harder. That skating just f***ing worries me.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Vegas sign Brandon Pirri

Gallant gotta catch all his year 1 players
Looks like after they signed him they placed him on waivers for assignment to the AHL He likely feels he has a better shot with them to make the NHL than with us.

Kerby Rychel also cleared waivers. So much for anyone jumping on him. The guy obviously has issues. :)

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Eichel > RyJo easily.

I understand why you'd say easily but as of right now, it's closer than ya think. Eichel will be the better player within this year or next but he isn't at that level yet so feel he should get the treatment Ekblad got. What happens if some reason Eichel only gets 65-70 pts if he can play all 82 games.

I agree on Eichel over Ryjo, just felt that was one of the closest comparables to Eichel in terms of position, age and type of game they play. Barkov is closer in age but Barkov is also the more complete player as you said. Funny enough, Barkov's deal will be one of the best in the league very soon and I'd take him over those two everytime.

You think Matthews passes Toews and Kane? Maybe. Have to think it's the same deal as them or $11 million per at max. My gut says it will be nearly identical to Eichel. Leave some $$ on the table and be a "nice guy"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad