2017-2018 NCAA Hockey Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Yes, but he's the reason any college hockey is on ESPN to begin with, so we should thank him for that.
I definitely appreciate what he does for college hockey, I think he's without a doubt the most visible/famous promoter of college hockey, which I appreciate. But man, his PBP style really grates on my ears. :laugh:

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Lol Lavigne is awful.
Eh. Bad sticks and position by no one, but both of his defenders. Quick shot against the grain. He over-committed to the puck carrier, but again that was because it looked like he was about to get around the corner and have a direct line to the net. Every skater on Michigan was gassed and stopped playing 10 seconds earlier.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
ESPN is garbage,why would you be thankful for having to watch their station?
I could write ten-book series on how much garbage ESPN is.

But we don't live in an alternative reality where another carrier is demanding to cover college hockey. ESPN still have broadcast and streamed basically the entire NCAA hockey tournament for the last decade or so. And that's not nothing.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
I definitely appreciate what he does for college hockey, I think he's without a doubt the most visible/famous promoter of college hockey, which I appreciate. But man, his PBP style really grates on my ears. :laugh:
Oh, it's terrible. But I kind of look at him like that ridiculous uncle who is over-the-top and annoying, but a couple times a year you put up with him because he invites you to his sick cabin.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Bucci and Melrose seem like good guys, but it's not a good product. It was such a relief when Joe Beninati did the other tournament games. ESPN invests so much in things but they don't even have a research team capable of drawing the line between Hermantown's Dylan Samberg and the New York Rangers' Neal Pionk.

And CBS Sports does a better job, and is included in my cable package. I know ESPN has had the rights, but it wouldn't be much of a change if they didn't.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Bucci and Melrose seem like good guys, but it's not a good product. It was such a relief when Joe Beninati did the other tournament games. ESPN invests so much in things but they don't even have a research team capable of drawing the line between Hermantown's Dylan Samberg and the New York Rangers' Neal Pionk.

And CBS Sports does a better job, and is included in my cable package. I know ESPN has had the rights, but it wouldn't be much of a change if they didn't.

That could change soon though. They are hemorrhaging money at the 4-letter network and there has been mullings they could lose the NCAA championship games.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009

Research has never been what ESPN has invested in. They did the dirty work of connecting with the sports leagues, building infrastructure to connect thousands of stadiums to TV, growing a network of broadcasters, and managing the scheduling mess that goes with that. That is their legacy.

But their on-air brand has always more flash than substance. Same reason movie studios pump out horror films. It's cheap and it gets enough sales.

And that strategy allowed their competitors to out compete them when the infrastructure became easily to replicate or bypass with new technology.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Research has never been what ESPN has invested in. They did the dirty work of connecting with the sports leagues, building infrastructure to connect thousands of stadiums to TV, growing a network of broadcasters, and managing the scheduling mess that goes with that. That is their legacy.

But their on-air brand has always more flash than substance. Same reason movie studios pump out horror films. It's cheap and it gets enough sales.

And that strategy allowed their competitors to out compete them when the infrastructure became easily to replicate or bypass with new technology.

I won't disagree with you, but in the 90's they had some amazing stats relating to specific sports or players. They really did break it down. But that was also when they were giving equal treatment to NBA, NHL, MLB, NFL...hell even NASCAR. Then they realized that NCAA was MUCH more lucrative of a cash cow. That was in the day when ESPN2 was basically the "skateboarding" channel.

But yes, there is no substance now to their stats it seems like. Now it is "Lets see Lebron's stats when he has a 4 year old child in attendance" as opposed to relevant. However, NHL Network isn't any better.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
I won't disagree with you, but in the 90's they had some amazing stats relating to specific sports or players. They really did break it down. But that was also when they were giving equal treatment to NBA, NHL, MLB, NFL...hell even NASCAR. Then they realized that NCAA was MUCH more lucrative of a cash cow. That was in the day when ESPN2 was basically the "skateboarding" channel.

But yes, there is no substance now to their stats it seems like. Now it is "Lets see Lebron's stats when he has a 4 year old child in attendance" as opposed to relevant. However, NHL Network isn't any better.
ESPN also started going to the bathroom where they eat. When they entered a cold war with NCAA conferences that went into business with competitors (Big Ten, PAC, part of Big 12) and went all in on whole-owned ESPN schools (SEC, ACC, Texas), rather than scaring conference commissioners into playing ball, they just chased away half of their audience who got angry their schools were either never covered or trashed when covered, or given half praise that was actually backhanded dig and a compliment to some ESPN owned school.

Reactions: BigT2002

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Wild draft pick Nick Swaney having a good game.

Career high in SOG per period.

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
I grew up with Buccigross on NHL2Nite...so he can do whatever. He gets a pass from me...and brings me back to earlier, better times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad