2017-2018 NCAA Hockey Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
Huskies are keeping Schuldt...huge.
Also sounds like Montgomery will be head coach for Dallas.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
JD Greenway leaves Badgers for USHL.

Sammy Walker, 2018 Mr. Hockey, decommits from Gophers. Will go to juniors, I think...not sure if CHL or USHL.

I'm guessing that both situations had to do with academics, but have no evidence to back that up.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Yup, and for Sammy, too, I think. The connections you make at the U will last you a lifetime, even if you don't make it in the NHL. Junior hockey is just a meatgrinder that tosses you away after you age out.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I’m not sure what happened with JD. He missed half the season with something not known to the public and there were reports that he had a black eye but also that he was practicing but wasn’t allowed to play? Anyways, not sure he had a place on the team unless he wanted to play right side. Just too much incoming D talent for the badgers.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Does this mean Tor loses JD's rights July 1st? He was 2016 draft pick. I'm not sure of how the rules would work for this scenario.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
Where is reported Walker has decommited?
Anyway...Motzko flips Brodzinski and Pinoniemi from SCSU...irritating.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Does this mean Tor loses JD's rights July 1st? He was 2016 draft pick. I'm not sure of how the rules would work for this scenario.

It is pretty rare that a guy leaves college for the USHL. But it happened with Michalek. Greenway still has NCAA eligibility so Toronto has his rights but the chances they sign him are just about zero anyhow.

On another note, doing some pre-draft research I'm getting kind of excited about seeing if Sampo Ranta can develop for the Badgers and whether the Wild can grab him late in the 3rd.

Reactions: Digitalbooya

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I’m jacked up to watch Ranta play. It felt like Osiecki was retweeting his highlights almost on a daily basis the second half of the season. Could be a steal in the 3rd round.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
It is pretty rare that a guy leaves college for the USHL. But it happened with Michalek. Greenway still has NCAA eligibility so Toronto has his rights but the chances they sign him are just about zero anyhow.

On another note, doing some pre-draft research I'm getting kind of excited about seeing if Sampo Ranta can develop for the Badgers and whether the Wild can grab him late in the 3rd.

I was just curious on how that works. I don't think I've seen that happen before.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I'd tell ya, but would have to kill you... I could have wrong info, but I don't think so. I hope I am wrong, for Walker's sake.

Last edited:
Reactions: Minnesnota

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I could see Minnesota asking him to spend a year in the USHL for experience. I could also see him going there for a year so he could transfer. Going to Canada would be completely moronic.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
Larson gets his 1st commit...big potential in young (03) dman Jack Peart from Grand Rapids.
Was a top-10 ranked American for the WHL draft....was not taken.

Neutral Zone had him ranked as one of three “A” rated Minnesota players at defense in their “Top 55 rankings.”

If he lives up to it...could be a huge splash for Larson's 1st.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Brinkman forgoing Senior year at HS and going to the U. Don't ask me how it works academically, but I think he is one of the few kids who is ready to make the jump. Not a giant, but very strong on his skates.I think he needs the challenge of playing better competition. he gets away with too much in HS, and is learning bad habits. Expect he will have to learn a few lessons in the first part of the new season, a 17yo playing against men.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Brinkman forgoing Senior year at HS and going to the U. Don't ask me how it works academically, but I think he is one of the few kids who is ready to make the jump. Not a giant, but very strong on his skates.I think he needs the challenge of playing better competition. he gets away with too much in HS, and is learning bad habits. Expect he will have to learn a few lessons in the first part of the new season, a 17yo playing against men.

Summer school or online classes, and not taking any study halls/rocks for jocks type of classes would be my guess on the academics.

dBoon

Sep 28, 2004
La Panta tweeted Illinois is starting Div. I hockey next season. I assume that will be Big 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->