2017-2018 NCAA Hockey Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
I did not have Swaney on my radar before the Wild picked him. That said, he is looking like a special player in the making. The heartbreak of the OT loss to Bowling Green is my most formative sports memory so two championships in this decade is pretty unbelievable. And I hated to yell at Bucci tonight but good Lord...

Excellent championship game. Hope the Bulldogs can keep Perunovich and Samberg...

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
UMD and UND please :)
UMD is never going to happen. Big Ten is too snobby on academics.

UND would be interesting if the Big Ten tried to torpedo all of college hockey and added Boston College, Boston University, and North Dakota as the 10th team. But that would probably only happen if there was some larger game at play, like if the only way to get Notre Dame to join in all sports was to also add Boston College or something.

Last edited:

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
For the B1G to add a non-AAU school, I think they would have to have a level of national prestige (like Notre Dame) that North Dakota or UMD just don't have. It may seem elitist, but that's just how the conference works. The focus on academic prestige is very strong. I don't see either of them ever joining the B1G.

Last edited:

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I know a couple of the kids going to the Big 10 to play hockey and baseball, and trust me, they aren't going to be confused with Stephen Hawking.

HollaHaula

Cynical Wild fan
Jul 28, 2015
This looks like nerds are doing all of the heavy lifting in order for the athletes to play on a national level. Pay the nerds!!! :sarcasm:

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I think he was saying the B1G should bring UMD into the hockey part of it.
Nah just when it isn't a team I have a specific rooting for or against in college sports I become a class warrior and back the little guy, so i.e. no one from the B1G.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
How do you feel about it?

I don't really know much about him.
Me either but it's hard to argue against a guy that helped win 2 national titles and made a 3rd title game. Didn't do great as a USHL head coach but he didn't have much talent. Says he likes to play the style we currently do.
I think Gibby now follows Motzko but we keep Raboin.
The team is still loaded...especially if Schuldt comes back.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Sandelin for whatever reason just doesn't strike me as an NHL coach, and I don't know why.

Hard to see a guy leaving a comfortable life in Duluth in exchange for being yelled at by Larry Brooks and Jimmy Dolan. I mean, who would want that? Rangers should definitely not be looking at college coaches to fix their mess.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
4-5 times the pay would interest anyone including Sandy

Interest a person? Sure. Practically speaking, once you factor in cost of living and tax rate for this area, you're not doing that much better. Consider too the stress of the situation, the great likelihood that it's a two-year job and you walked away from a cushy lifetime tenure. Would someone want the challenge of coaching at the highest level? Of course. But facing the New York press and fans and Dolan/MSG bs is just a little bit different than what he has now. I put a higher value on mental and physical health than some people I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->