2017/2018 Management Discussion | NEW MOD WARNING IN OP AS OF 5/20/18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Have a read over this article: Why Canucks fans are concerned about John Weisbrod’s influence

There's also this video which is a bit concerning (start at 1:16)

He also hired Benning's son, Brandon, as a Flames scout without any prior hockey experience. I believe he was a security guard before that. Once Weisbrod was fired by the Flames, Brandon Benning was let go as well. And now Brandon Benning is a Canucks scout.

Basically Weisbrod is terrible, and the kind of AGM you'd expect Benning to have.

Yeah, that is concerning, but it's not that uncommon.
Gilman on 1040 the other week said that one of the driving factors for drafting Horvat was based on his character from their interview. Character can overlap with work ethic which is obviously a valuable quality.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
How was he supposed to know? Maybe by watching him play and realizing we didn’t have Patrice Bergeron to feed him at the net and to play elite two way hockey to cover up for him?

Also maybe take a peek at the old date of birth and see that a 6 year deal might not be a stellar idea either.
The fact he had two sub-50 points before that season?

The real problem is the logic in his signing. This team was retooling/rebuilding and needing a few years to get ready. Eriksson's early best years are the ones we don't need him, and later bad years he's holding back the team when it is time to compete.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
The fact he had two sub-50 points before that season?

The real problem is the logic in his signing. This team was retooling/rebuilding and needing a few years to get ready. Eriksson's early best years are the ones we don't need him, and later bad years he's holding back the team when it is time to compete.

Good point. Plenty of warning signs but obviously “how could Benning know”

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
There's also the optics of bringing in a 30 year old RW to play the top line with your 35 year old C and 35 year old LW at a time when you're supposed to be transitioning to a new core and RW with the Sedins would be a prime roster spot to groom a young player.

member 290103

There's also the optics of bringing in a 30 year old RW to play the top line with your 35 year old C and 35 year old LW at a time when you're supposed to be transitioning to a new core and RW with the Sedins would be a prime roster spot to groom a young player.

It's a f***ing moronic move. The Sedins are finished. Let's all accept this. They need to retire this year. The team needs to transition away from them and finding players to play with them. It's over.

Louie Erickson should be healthy scratched. He's useless. If they have not already done so, they should offer him around the league for any return - even nothing. I doubt there's a taker, but there are a few idiotic GM's out there. If someone is dumb enough to bite, you go to Louie and tell him to sign off on it or a name plate will be made for a seat for him in the press box. If none of this works - waive him and send him Utica. Hope and pray you can at some point package him up and trade him with salary retention.

It may be the worst UFA signing in Canucks history. Even Mark Messier was only a 3 year deal.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Eriksson is a gritless complementary top 3/6 player. Pair him with some good players and he's going to produce for you.

Put him on a terrible team like ours, he's going to be a terrible player.

He's a vet on a big money long term deal with absolutely nothing to prove, with absolutely no emotional connection to this team and with absolutely no motivation to go above and beyond.

Methinks Eriksson is kicking himself pretty hard right now for signing onto the Canucks.

The way Jimbo/Trev can remedy this very effed up situation is to make a deal with Loui similar to the one they made with Burr last season which is to pair him up with some young kids and promise to trade him at the TDL. We're going to have to eat some salary obviously but at this point of time... what difference will it make.
XxSpXfG.gif

It's not like we're going to spend our way out of this crap show.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Eriksson is a gritless complementary top 3/6 player. Pair him with some good players and he's going to produce for you.

Put him on a terrible team like ours, he's going to be a terrible player.

He's a vet on a big money long term deal with absolutely nothing to prove, with absolutely no emotional connection to this team and with absolutely no motivation to go above and beyond.

Methinks Eriksson is kicking himself pretty hard right now for signing onto the Canucks.

The way Jimbo/Trev can remedy this very effed up situation is to make a deal with Loui similar to the one they made with Burr last season which is to pair him up with some young kids and promise to trade him at the TDL. We're going to have to eat some salary obviously but at this point of time... what difference will it make.
XxSpXfG.gif

It's not like we're going to spend our way out of this crap show.

I don't think Benning has the ability or the audacity to pull it off. LE at this point is just a cap dump, a big one. To dump his contract we're likely gonna have to fork out significant assets, probably something along the lines of 1st round pick and/or established prospect(s). Very few in NHL is stupid enough to add 6 mil to their cap without some major incentive.

Unless he improves his performance, which I don't think he cares enough to do - he has 36 million in the bag, he'll be near retirement when it's all done, and based on what I see on ice I don't see him as an individual who's more driven than any average NHLer.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
It could be a lot worse, we could be the team that gave up Tyler Seguin for him... hate to have that as our GM...

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
The way Eriksson's contract is structured we're better off just gritting through the contract—buyout isn't a good option. And giving up picks or assets when we dont have any to spare to get rid of his contract probably isn't a smart move. The right move is to slash our payroll for a couple years while we're bad (i.e dont chase Vanek/MDZ/Gagner/Nilsson types), then have tons of cap space to sign our good young players in 3-4 years when we *might* be a playoff team.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
It could be a lot worse, we could be the team that gave up Tyler Seguin for him... hate to have that as our GM...

It would be a shame if our GM was the person vocally calling out Seguin and thinking he wouldn't play "the Boston Way". Then going for a quantity deal instead of getting back one A+ level prospect and really screwing yourselves.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
It would be a shame if our GM was the person vocally calling out Seguin and thinking he wouldn't play "the Boston Way". Then going for a quantity deal instead of getting back one A+ level prospect and really screwing yourselves.

That certainly sounds plausible, though looking at how Chia tossed Hall like a used cleanex I suspect the former has more to do with this kinda stunt than Benning. It could be that Chia initiated it and Benning negotiated the terrible return.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
On the topic of John Weisbrod, I swear there was a quote shortly after he was let go by Brian Burke in Calgary where Burke said something like "I don't even know what he did here..." I cannot find a written source though, am I crazy or does anyone else remember this?

Reactions: SillyRabbit

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010

I'm glad to hear the trust fund baby is losing money. It's what he gets for micromanaging and eventually firing people smarter & more qualified to run the team.

Now only if he can continue his streak of bad business decisions and sell the franchise at a lower valuation, that may take care of the actual problem.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
It's a ****ing moronic move. The Sedins are finished. Let's all accept this. They need to retire this year. The team needs to transition away from them and finding players to play with them. It's over.

Louie Erickson should be healthy scratched. He's useless. If they have not already done so, they should offer him around the league for any return - even nothing. I doubt there's a taker, but there are a few idiotic GM's out there. If someone is dumb enough to bite, you go to Louie and tell him to sign off on it or a name plate will be made for a seat for him in the press box. If none of this works - waive him and send him Utica. Hope and pray you can at some point package him up and trade him with salary retention.

It may be the worst UFA signing in Canucks history. Even Mark Messier was only a 3 year deal.

I fully agree that this is the worst FA signing in Canuck history.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
He also hired Benning's son, Brandon, as a Flames scout without any prior hockey experience. I believe he was a security guard before that. Once Weisbrod was fired by the Flames, Brandon Benning was let go as well. And now Brandon Benning is a Canucks scout.

Most scouts get their start at a very local level pretty much doing the work for free. Brandon Benning obviously has the pedigree and connections, but in reality he was just just a part-time scout who scouted WHL games out of Portland. Heck, our current Director of Pro Scouting was first hired because his father was AGM. I don't know where the security guard thing came from (was it from an article?) but I think he was/is working in the legal field (court services at the time).

On the topic of John Weisbrod, I swear there was a quote shortly after he was let go by Brian Burke in Calgary where Burke said something like "I don't even know what he did here..." I cannot find a written source though, am I crazy or does anyone else remember this?

That was just a stupid quote from Burke. If you're the President, and you don't know what your AGM did, shouldn't you ask your GM? Or bring the AGM in to ask him what exactly is his job description? I remember Feaster saying that he wanted Weisbrod on the road scouting and making recommendations. He was the 2nd in command afterall.

I wasn't a fan of Weisbrod and still isn't, but I think he may have gotten an undeserved bad rap. He was heavily blamed for the 2012 draft that Burke or ownership felt was a "disaster" but it's actually not that bad by Flames' standards. Jankowski looks like a very good pick, Gillies at one time was the equivalent of Demko, and Kulak is serviceable.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
The way Eriksson's contract is structured we're better off just gritting through the contract—buyout isn't a good option. And giving up picks or assets when we dont have any to spare to get rid of his contract probably isn't a smart move. The right move is to slash our payroll for a couple years while we're bad (i.e dont chase Vanek/MDZ/Gagner/Nilsson types), then have tons of cap space to sign our good young players in 3-4 years when we *might* be a playoff team.

The best bet might be to retain $2-3m. Eriksson can still play a 3rd line role, some playoff team might take a chance.

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
Brandon Benning worked as a security guard for Nordstrom’s.

He convinced his father Jim Benning to use his connections with Weisbrod to get Brandon a job as a scout for the Flames.

When Weisbrod was fired in the aftermath of the O’Reilly disaster, Brandon was also let go.

Seems strange to fire a random scout when you’re firing an Assistant General Manager, but obviously Brandon was brought on as Weisbrod’s favour to Jim Benning and once he was fired, Brandon no longer had a job because he wasn’t actually qualified to be a scout.

So what did Brandon do after being fired from the Flames? Did he move on to scout perhaps for an AHL or Junior team?

No. He took a job as an unpaid intern for a law firm. Because as mentioned before, he had no business being a scout.

Until Papa Jim became GM of the Canucks that is.

Brandon has no knowledge, skill or experience in scouting, but that doesn’t matter when daddy can gift you a job, twice.

Reactions: Toxic0n

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
I don't know how anyone can possibly deduce this... I would happily take Weisbrod over Benning.

The guy basically never does interviews and somehow he has cultivated this bizarre level of unequivocal hate.
Because he has an extremely poor track record, he was abysmal in the NBA, had a poor track record in Calgary and clearly has been poor here.

If a guy is bad everywhere he goes he should rightfully be called horrible.

MadaCanuckle

Jun 25, 2012
Lisboa
Because he has an extremely poor track record, he was abysmal in the NBA, had a poor track record in Calgary and clearly has been poor here.

If a guy is bad everywhere he goes he should rightfully be called horrible.
People seem to forget the Ryan O'Reilly offer sheet and how bad it was...

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
I don't think Benning has the ability or the audacity to pull it off. LE at this point is just a cap dump, a big one. To dump his contract we're likely gonna have to fork out significant assets, probably something along the lines of 1st round pick and/or established prospect(s). Very few in NHL is stupid enough to add 6 mil to their cap without some major incentive.

Unless he improves his performance, which I don't think he cares enough to do - he has 36 million in the bag, he'll be near retirement when it's all done, and based on what I see on ice I don't see him as an individual who's more driven than any average NHLer.

Objectively speaking, if we retain half of his salary we wouldn't need to fork out any significant assets to get rid of LE because what's afflicting LE is not physical, it's spiritual. This team is crushing his soul (like it's crushing all of our souls).

The real question isn't "does Jimbo have the ability or audacity to pull something like this off", it's whether he has the insight into what REALLY is going on with LE. Based on what we have all seen so far, the safe answer is no.

But if you take dumbo out of the equation and just look at this on paper, LE can still be sold as a 3M player. Put him on a team that is actually going somewhere with a decent young pivot and LE will look like a brand new player.

As it stands right now, LE is providing negative value to the Canucks. He knows he's wasting his time here and as a result, he's not exactly inspiring anyone to be better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad