2017/2018 Management Discussion | NEW MOD WARNING IN OP AS OF 5/20/18

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
On the topic of John Weisbrod, I swear there was a quote shortly after he was let go by Brian Burke in Calgary where Burke said something like "I don't even know what he did here..." I cannot find a written source though, am I crazy or does anyone else remember this?
I remember that too.

Weisbrod is a conman who worms his way into weak management groups through his buddy-buddy connections, but can't actually do anything. For all his faults, Brian Burke had enough experience to suss Weisbrod out pretty damn fast. Linden on the other hand...

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I remember it too. Brian Burke is a petulant baby who needs the spotlight and nobody should care what he says about anything.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
I remember it too. Brian Burke is a petulant baby who needs the spotlight and nobody should care what he says about anything.
Weisbrod has an absolutely miserable record of failure and incompetence in two professional sports leagues, and he's been right at the top of the Canucks' organization during this period of failure and incompetence.

But Brian Burke's a doo-doo head.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Weisbrod has an absolutely miserable record of failure and incompetence in two professional sports leagues, and he's been right at the top of the Canucks' organization during this period of failure and incompetence.

Calgary fans were absolutely ecstatic when the Canucks hired Weisbrod.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC

He made an unpopular trade as the GM of an NBA team. Was it a bad trade? Does anyone know? Can anyone bring some actual facts and data to this discussion?

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Yes, it has been linked twice and I have already addressed it. It seems to be literally the only thing anyone is going on.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Eriksson is a gritless complementary top 3/6 player. Pair him with some good players and he's going to produce for you.

Put him on a terrible team like ours, he's going to be a terrible player.

He's a vet on a big money long term deal with absolutely nothing to prove, with absolutely no emotional connection to this team and with absolutely no motivation to go above and beyond.

Methinks Eriksson is kicking himself pretty hard right now for signing onto the Canucks.

The way Jimbo/Trev can remedy this very effed up situation is to make a deal with Loui similar to the one they made with Burr last season which is to pair him up with some young kids and promise to trade him at the TDL. We're going to have to eat some salary obviously but at this point of time... what difference will it make.
XxSpXfG.gif

It's not like we're going to spend our way out of this crap show.

We're likely going to need a lockout and compliance buyout to get out of this contract without having to pay another team a 1st round pick just to take on his contract.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Yes, it has been linked twice and I have already addressed it. It seems to be literally the only thing anyone is going on.
Well, did you read it or follow any of the links? Weisbrod was getting death threats in Orlando. That's how great it went for him there. Probably a big part of why he's stayed behind the scenes since. Ever notice since then his exact portfolio is always murky? You can't be evaluated or held accountable if nobody knows exactly what you're responsible for. That's how guys like that operate. Anyway, it's just one symptom of the illness that currently afflicts CSE.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Well, did you read it or follow any of the links? Weisbrod was getting death threats in Orlando. That's how great it went for him there. Probably a big part of why he's stayed behind the scenes since. Ever notice since then his exact portfolio is always murky? You can't be evaluated or held accountable if nobody knows exactly what you're responsible for. That's how guys like that operate. Anyway, it's just one symptom of the illness that currently afflicts CSE.

He was getting death threats because he traded a popular player. Was it a good trade, yes or no? How did it turn out for the team? I do not follow the NBA so I have no clue.

Mike Keenan probably got death threads for trading Trevor Linden too but that was a good trade for us.

I really think nothing of Weisbrod; he comes off like a used car salesman and his association with Benning alone is enough to sour me on him, but I am interested in someone making a persuasive argument about him as an executive or about his tenure with the Magic and I am just not seeing it.

infinitemile

Oct 8, 2017
He was getting death threats because he traded a popular player. Was it a good trade, yes or no? How did it turn out for the team? I do not follow the NBA so I have no clue.

Mike Keenan probably got death threads for trading Trevor Linden too but that was a good trade for us.

I really think nothing of Weisbrod; he comes off like a used car salesman and his association with Benning alone is enough to sour me on him, but I am interested in someone making a persuasive argument about him as an executive or about his tenure with the Magic and I am just not seeing it.

By far the most damning evidence in that article was the huge ROR f***-up where he almost lost a 1st and a 3rd for literally nothing. That's enough to lose your job, I don't know how he's still hired.

Reactions: Jack Burton

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
By far the most damning evidence in that article was the huge ROR ****-up where he almost lost a 1st and a 3rd for literally nothing. That's enough to lose your job, I don't know how he's still hired.

Don't agree.

Just because Gilman was the capologist here does not mean every FO works this way. Weisbrod was clearly in charge of scouting in Calgary and given that Jay Feaster is an actual lawyer, I am guessing he handled the ins and outs of the cap himself.

It does not look good for Weisbrod to have been a part of that but it is disingenuous to assert that he shoulders most of the blame.

infinitemile

Oct 8, 2017
Don't agree.

Just because Gilman was the capologist here does not mean every FO works this way. Weisbrod was clearly in charge of scouting in Calgary and given that Jay Feaster is an actual lawyer, I am guessing he handled the ins and outs of the cap himself.

It does not look good for Weisbrod to have been a part of that but it is disingenuous to assert that he shoulders most of the blame.

I think everyone in that situation should have lost their jobs, even if Weisbrod only had 25% of the blame. That's worse than Benning talking to Stamkos or Subban before he's allowed to.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
He made an unpopular trade as the GM of an NBA team. Was it a bad trade? Does anyone know? Can anyone bring some actual facts and data to this discussion?
He was responsible for the Magic being absolute crap, traded away McGrady for Francis lol. So that’s one record of his team failing.

He is the main proponent of the age crap BS here, not sure if the flames implement the same dumb ass strategy when he was there.

infinitemile

Oct 8, 2017
Linden was just on Sportsnet Toronto and basically repeated verbatim what he said about Jim's job a couple days ago. "He came in in a challenging situation ... we like the job he's done ... we're gonna evaluate at the end of the season and try to sort it out."

What he's not saying is something reassuring like "we're gonna try to get an extension done at the end of the season" or "keeping Jim is a priority for us", either of which would immediately show everyone that he's trying to keep Jim around. Trevor also stutters a lot when talking about this compared to when he's talking about the team's prospects or whatever else.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Linden was just on Sportsnet Toronto and basically repeated verbatim what he said about Jim's job a couple days ago. "He came in in a challenging situation ... we like the job he's done ... we're gonna evaluate at the end of the season and try to sort it out."

What he's not saying is something reassuring like "we're gonna try to get an extension done at the end of the season" or "keeping Jim is a priority for us", either of which would immediately show everyone that he's trying to keep Jim around. Trevor also stutters a lot when talking about this compared to when he's talking about the team's prospects or whatever else.
Ryan Johnson come on down!

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Brandon Benning was formerly a retail loss prevention officer, which makes perfect sense why those skills would translate to scouting for a national hockey team. As a plainclothes LPO you pretend to shop and "scout" out people who potentially would commit theft or fraud. As a plainclothes national hockey league scout, he pretends to watch hockey and "scouts" players. Perfectly translatable skill.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Brandon Benning was formerly a retail loss prevention officer, which makes perfect sense why those skills would translate to scouting for a national hockey team. As a plainclothes LPO you pretend to shop and "scout" out people who potentially would commit theft or fraud. As a plainclothes national hockey league scout, he pretends to watch hockey and "scouts" players. Perfectly translatable skill.

Makes about as much sense as thinking that someone who earned a living skating and running into people would therefore know how to manage a $700 million dollar franchise.

Toxic0n

We are all mumps
Dec 10, 2008
Tank nation
C's get degrees.
I think it's B or better at UCLA for an MBA

George Bush got his undergraduate degree from Yale and MBA from Harvard. Donald Trump got his degree from Wharton. Both are legacy students, both are dimwitted idiots.

Considering how wealthy Frank's dad is, those are two incredibly unimpressive schools.

Even then, he didn't seem to get much out of his education at UCLA, which is a solid institution, with all the dumb business decisions he's made.
Bush actually wasn't a total idiot, he just sounded like one. Trump...yeah, money can get you a degree at ivy league schools.

I'm not sure how rich Franseco's dad was when he was studying there, certainly not Trump level.

Aquilini may have those degrees, but he is not that bright of a person.

Agreed. Educated does not mean intelligent.

MBA's aren't really that special nowadays.
I think he got his in the 90s? Not sure.

Reactions: y2kcanucks

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
You want to see a fan base hate their GM go over to the Oilers Section.

I have been saying for awhile, even before they made the conference finals that Chiarelli is a garbage GM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad