2017/2018 Management Discussion | NEW MOD WARNING IN OP AS OF 5/20/18

Status
Not open for further replies.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

It's just so weird... like, when the Canucks literally were the best team in the league, apparently no one cared for the GM. The team displays the direction of a six year old, and suddenly everyone is throwing their moral weight behind the guy leading the charge.

It's Bizarro world.

It really is insane.

Biggest reason is Gillis' relationship with the media. He hated them and vice-versa, gave few interviews, and led a very closed regime. Coupled with his prickly personality, this image of an 'arrogant big-city lawyer' ended up getting out there and was nurtured by the media. Which was bizarre, because he was a working-class gritty ex-player from Kingston, Ontario who turned to law after being screwed over by Alan Eagleson when he suffered a career-ending injury.

And then the moment Gillis' regime hit a speedbump with the collapse in the last 35 games of 13-14 and the goalie thing, the media had their knives out just waiting to pounce and throw him under the bus.

Meanwhile, Linden/Benning run an ultra-accessible regime and give tons of interviews. And Everybody Loves Trevor in both the media and fanbase, and that rubs off on Benning.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

It's just so weird... like, when the Canucks literally were the best team in the league, apparently no one cared for the GM. The team displays the direction of a six year old, and suddenly everyone is throwing their moral weight behind the guy leading the charge.

It's Bizarro world.

I'm half convinced these supporters are all actually Leafs/Oilers fans who are just trolling the Canucks. The sign is hiding it, but are we sure that's not a Maple Leafs jersey the kid is wearing?

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Worked for Tampa. Just sayin. Not defending Benning.

The thing with Tampa is Yzerman actually did spend a few years in lower NHL management learning the job. Linden went straight from being a spokesman for gyms and cheap glasses to determining the fate of our franchise for the next 5+ years. And in Jim Benning's case, it's a combination of nepotism (his dad was a legendary scout) and the Peter Principle working it's magic.

It's certainly not a recipe for success to draw your management from such a small group of people, but certainly among all the players there are a few that should make good managers. And if I had to guess and pick from a pool of retirees who would make a good GM, Steve Yzerman would certainly be at the top of the list. As a player he had a great mix of leadership, intelligence, determination, and humility. Most former players that make it into management tend to be grinders who stuck around and made the right connections. In the NHL you usually get the Kevin Lowe's and Craig Mactavish's sticking around, not the Jarri Kurri's and Paul Coffey's.

Britton

Nov 28, 2008
It really is insane.

Biggest reason is Gillis' relationship with the media. He hated them and vice-versa, gave few interviews, and led a very closed regime. Coupled with his prickly personality, this image of an 'arrogant big-city lawyer' ended up getting out there and was nurtured by the media. Which was bizarre, because he was a working-class gritty ex-player from Kingston, Ontario who turned to law after being screwed over by Alan Eagleson when he suffered a career-ending injury.

And then the moment Gillis' regime hit a speedbump with the collapse in the last 35 games of 13-14 and the goalie thing, the media had their knives out just waiting to pounce and throw him under the bus.

Meanwhile, Linden/Benning run an ultra-accessible regime and give tons of interviews. And Everybody Loves Trevor in both the media and fanbase, and that rubs off on Benning.

The media's character assassination of both Gillis and the Canucks players during that time was disgusting. And for some reason the majority of our fan base completely bought it.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
The thing with Tampa is Yzerman actually did spend a few years in lower NHL management learning the job. Linden went straight from being a spokesman for gyms and cheap glasses to determining the fate of our franchise for the next 5+ years. And in Jim Benning's case, it's a combination of nepotism (his dad was a legendary scout) and the Peter Principle working it's magic.

It's certainly not a recipe for success to draw your management from such a small group of people, but certainly among all the players there are a few that should make good managers. And if I had to guess and pick from a pool of retirees who would make a good GM, Steve Yzerman would certainly be at the top of the list. As a player he had a great mix of leadership, intelligence, determination, and humility. Most former players that make it into management tend to be grinders who stuck around and made the right connections. In the NHL you usually get the Kevin Lowe's and Craig Mactavish's sticking around, not the Jarri Kurri's and Paul Coffey's.

It's also that there being a range of talent within the small group of people generally considered for GM roles today doesn't have any bearing on the point being replied to. Yes, some GMs are better than others even though they come from a small pool, and you can succeed by hiring a former player given the pool of talent that NHL GMs are currently pulled from. But that doesn't mean that teams are making the right choice given the broader pool of talent available.

It is funny too, because for a large chunk of the sport's history, many managers were not former players. This is a recent phenomenon. And those who never played the game at a high level certainly have had an outsized impact in the sport. Despite most GMs in the league's history being former players or kids of former executives, those who never played the sport at a high level make up a large portion of those considered the best GMs of all time (Pollock, Torrey, Selke, Devellano, Lacroix, Lamoriello, etc.).

This isn't to say there is no value in hockey specific knowledge. There is. But the idea that the hockey specific knowledge garnered by former NHL players is so important to the role that hiring former players is the best way to build a good team is asinine.

Toxic0n

We are all mumps
Dec 10, 2008
Tank nation
Totally agree, I really do not understand this either? Now, does Aquilini actually have more than a high school diploma??
Francesco Aquilini got his BA at SFU and then an MBA at UCLA. You can say what you want about him, but he is definitely an educated man.

ATypicalCanadian

Apr 30, 2015
Canada
Strange that he uses Burmistrov as an example of poor cap spending and not Gagner.

But yes, his point stands. Benning with $14M of cap space is a scary thought.

If he had kept his paws off Eriksson we could have 20M essentially.

What's scary for me is seeing people say "That's how FA works, some signings work out and most don't" as justification for the Eriksson contract. I can't believe that logic.

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015

Linden also got into property development (not sure what his role was but he was honking some development that was being built). In addition to being a spokesman for the eyeglasses I think you could call him a model too, as he was used in a lot of print ads modelling the eye ware.

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
If he had kept his paws off Eriksson we could have 20M essentially. I would label

What's scary for me is seeing people say "That's how FA works, some signings work out and most don't" as justification for the Eriksson contract. I can't believe that logic.
Just dropped this in the management thread - but you will love this hot off the press item:

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Just dropped this in the management thread - but you will love this hot off the press item:

How was he supposed to know? Maybe by watching him play and realizing we didn’t have Patrice Bergeron to feed him at the net and to play elite two way hockey to cover up for him?

Also maybe take a peek at the old date of birth and see that a 6 year deal might not be a stellar idea either.

ATypicalCanadian

Apr 30, 2015
Canada
Wow this made my day. How are we supposed to know anything in life really?

There's this ongoing theme on Twitter where Media is being blamed for negativity around the Canucks and refusal to acknowledge Benning isn't doing a good job. Search #Canucks on Twitter or read replies to any post against Benning and prepare for some mind boggling replies.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
There's this ongoing theme on Twitter where Media a being blamed for negativity around the Canucks and refusal to acknowledge Benning isn't doing a good job. Search #Canucks on Twitter or read replies to any post against Benning and prepare for some mind boggling replies.

You saying Canucks brass paved the way for Trumpism?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
There's this ongoing theme on Twitter where Media is being blamed for negativity around the Canucks and refusal to acknowledge Benning isn't doing a good job. Search #Canucks on Twitter or read replies to any post against Benning and prepare for some mind boggling replies.

Which is INSANE because this incompetent GM has been brown-nosed by the media here like no GM I've ever seen.

Reactions: SillyRabbit

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck

It's Bizarro world.

ghxlsXL.jpg

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Signing an over=30 forward like Eriksson to a six year contract on a rebuilding team is so dumb, it strikes me that it had to have come from someone higher up in the organization, like maybe the owner. The theory at the time was that the Canucks would 'reap the benefits' from Eriksson in the early years of the contract, and have to live with some drop-off by age 35 or so.....can you imagine what 'the drop-off' is going to look like now?

Reactions: pomorick

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Signing an over=30 forward like Eriksson to a six year contract on a rebuilding team is so dumb, it strikes me that it had to have come from someone higher up in the organization, like maybe the owner. The theory at the time was that the Canucks would 'reap the benefits' from Eriksson in the early years of the contract, and have to live with some drop-off by age 35 or so.....can you imagine what 'the drop-off' is going to look like now?

The drop off already happened in the first year. We've got a 6MM 35 point player now.

I don't think this was ownership, this was Benning thinking he could compete for the playoffs by spending $36MM on Eriksson and trading McCann, 33rd, 4th for Gudbranson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad