2017/2018 Management Discussion | NEW MOD WARNING IN OP AS OF 5/20/18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
We didn't trade Vanek for picks because we want to make a hockey trade. We didn't shop any other veterans. We are not interested in trading tanev.

We are not rebuilding. We have Boeser and Petterson. The rebuild is complete. We successfully completed a rebuild while successfully avoiding one, it's like success squared.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Die on what hill? You're acting like you know better than someone who has a direct source within the organization (JD Burke). So...either reveal your source or come up with something that directly refutes this. You can't.
It’s a rumour. How in the heck does one refute something that’s, by definition, made up? Do you really think Doug Wilson is so inept to make such an offer?

Doyle Hargraves

May 11, 2018
We didn't trade Vanek for picks because we want to make a hockey trade. We didn't shop any other veterans. We are not interested in trading tanev.

We are not rebuilding. We have Boeser and Petterson. The rebuild is complete. We successfully completed a rebuild while successfully avoiding one, it's like success squared.
Cool story.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Oldest team in the league this past year based on the average age of every team's top 10 scorers. They traded away a draft pick and prospect this year too. Yet they're rebuilding?

Wrong.

Look at a team like the Rangers. THEY are rebuilding. The Canucks most certainly are not in a rebuild. They're just existing.
This 'past year' is the key there,a few things have transpired since then...and yes,they traded a 4th round pick..Yet they were going all in for the playoffs last season.?

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Well to be fair it’s only changing because a pair of guys decided to retire. Hardly seems to be a function of management’s decisions.
Trevor Linden did say it would be unfair to have a tear down rebuild while the Twins were still here. I wonder if the Twins retiring when they did had anything to do with TL and JB telling them the team is rebuilding with youth?

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
This 'past year' is the key there,a few things have transpired since then...and yes,they traded a 4th round pick..Yet they were going all in for the playoffs last season.?

No, of course they didn't go "all in" for the playoffs... of course, they also didn't go "all in" for the future. They balanced it... like all "bubble teams" challenging/gunning for a playoff spot do. The Canucks are operating like a bubble team... that just happens to have floated far, far away to the bottom of a big o'l ditch. Cup contenders are more inclined to go "all in" for the playoffs. Do I think that Benning would trade a 1st for a playoff rental? No... I don't think so... but for a lucic or subban with term? Yes, I do.

I will speak to you though, when a 1st is traded for a roster-now piece. How many more years (and therefore, 1st round picks) are left in this rebuild? 2 mor years? 5 more? 10 more? 25 more?

Last edited:

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
It’s a rumour. How in the heck does one refute something that’s, by definition, made up? Do you really think Doug Wilson is so inept to make such an offer?

By definition it's made up? Uhh...might want to re-check that definition.

For the record, I do believe Benning turned down that offer. I have zero reason to believe that Canucks Army fabricated that.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
No, of course they didn't go "all in" for the playoffs... of course, they also didn't go "all in" for the future. They balanced it... like all legit "bubble teams" challenging for a playoff spot do. The Canucks are operating like a bubble team... that just happens to have floated far, far away to the bottom of a big o'l ditch. Cup contenders are more inclined to go "all in" for the playoffs.

I will speak to you though, when a 1st is traded for a roster-now piece. How many more years (and therefore, 1st round picks) are left in this rebuild? 2 mor years? 5 more? 10 more? 25 more?
" As a quick example, what is Vancouver doing that a Pittsburgh isn't (other than winning?). Nothing. If Vancouver is rebuilding, then the Penguins are rebuilding too. If the Penguins aren't rebuilding, neither is Vancouver."..Your quote.

So were not operating like the Penguins now,we're operating like a 'bubble team'..?

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
8) Claims of Insider Information/ Rumors & Hearsay: If you're an insider, contact us with proof BEFORE you post. These posts will be allowed/rejected at the discretion of administrators after consulting with other posters, moderators, and relevant sources. Deference will be given to veteran members who have established credibility.

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
" As a quick example, what is Vancouver doing that a Pittsburgh isn't (other than winning?). Nothing. If Vancouver is rebuilding, then the Penguins are rebuilding too. If the Penguins aren't rebuilding, neither is Vancouver."..Your quote.

So were not operating like the Penguins now,we're operating like a 'bubble team'..?

The Canucks operate each offseason like they are gunning for the playoffs... then they are forced to change (put the breaks on it) mid-season when reality hits them in the face... whereas Pittsburgh has a much firmer grasp on reality, throughout. The Pittsburgh's continue their plans right through trade deadline. A Pittsburgh can afford to go "all in". Benning would love to continue... to go all in with deadline deals to try and improve playoff probabilities... but he can't.

If Benning's team was actually looking like a playoff team come trade deadline, the types of moves a Pittsburgh or Benning's Canucks make would be virtually identical... as a legit cup contender, Pittsburgh's first might be traded earlier in the season, or traded for a playoff rental. As a bottom feeder, Benning's 1st is more valuable come trade deadline time. As trade deadline approaches, that usually signals the start of the "rebuilding" phase of the season... due to the standings. Worst place team spending the 1st on a playoff rental? My thoughts on Benning are very low... but I do give him more credit than that. However, like a Pittsburgh (or another playoff gunning team) absolutely, a Benning 1st, 2nd, or 3rd rounder is not safe from trade.

Rebuilding team... they operate more like Pittsburgh than they do a bottom feeder.

Even the Pittsburgh's of the NHL make futures moves. For example, they determined that puiliot didn't have what it takes, and recycled him for a pick. They are a lot closer, in strategy, then far apart.

"Re-building" should be reserved for a team with a strategy towards the future. What the Canucks are doing is delaying and holding back achievement and progress... or in other words, "re-tarding" . Benning is "re-tarding" the Canucks. We are not in the middle of a "Re-build" ... we are in the middle of a "re-tard" .

Last edited:

drax0s

Mar 18, 2014
Vancouver, BC.
No it isn't. Connor mcHindu, nucksrule and royal dude have all said this in earnestness.
So... Why was the response to me? That'd be like me responding to something you said with "Yeah, but Gaudette will be our 1C!" because M2B said it somewhere. The two things are not connected.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
So... Why was the response to me? That'd be like me responding to something you said with "Yeah, but Gaudette will be our 1C!" because M2B said it somewhere. The two things are not connected.

Just because he quoted you doesn't mean he's responding solely to you. He's responding to the thread. He's responding to all the drones who liked your post. He's responding for the people.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
The Canucks operate each offseason like they are gunning for the playoffs... then they are forced to change mid-season when reality hits them in the face... whereas Pittsburgh has a much firmer grasp on reality, throughout.

if Benning's team was actually looking like a playoff team come trade deadline, the types of moves a Pittsburgh or Benning's Canucks make would be virtually identical... as a legit cup contender, Pittsburgh's first might be traded earlier in the season. As a bottom feeder, Benning's 1st is more valuable come trade deadline time. As trade deadline approaches, that usually signals the start of the "rebuilding" phase of the season... due to the standings. Worst place team spending the 1st on a playoff rental? My thoughts on Benning are very low... but I do give him more credit than that. However, like a Pittsburgh (or another playoff gunning team) absolutely, a Benning 1st, 2nd, or 3rd rounder is not safe from trade.

Rebuilding team... they operate more like Pittsburgh than they do a bottom feeder.

Even the Pittsburgh's of the NHL make futures moves. For example, they determined that puiliot didn't have what it takes, and recycled him for a pick. They are a lot closer, in strategy, then far apart.

"Re-building" should be reserved for a team with a strategy towards the future. What the Canucks are doing is delaying and holding back achievement and progress... or in other words, "re-tarding" . Benning is "re-tarding" the Canucks. We are not in the middle of a "Re-building" ... we are in the middle of a "re-tarding" .
The Canucks operate each season to be 'competitive'...At no time before, or during last season did JB say the Canucks 'are' a playoff team..Last season was all about being competitive...What else are you going to say to the ticket buying public?..They were gunning for the playoffs from 2015-17 (which we both agree was dumb),but not last year.

JB didn't do any crazy deadline deals when the Canucks were in the playoffs in 2015,so we don't have that history to go on..The rest is you speculating would JB might do.

Pittsburgh does indeed make future moves but when you have a core of Crosby,Malkin etc...losing a player like Pouliot barely moves the needle (especially when they acquired Justin Schultz,which made Pouliot redundant)..The Canucks don't have that depth as an organization...(Canucks drafting 2005-13)

I'm optimistic for the team...Next season we should finally start getting to see the emergence of the new core..Horvat,Petterson,Demko,Gaudette,Boeser,Virtanen..and hopefully Juolevi and Dahlen as well..Nothing re-tarded about that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1