2017/2018 Management Discussion | NEW MOD WARNING IN OP AS OF 5/20/18

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Hargraves doesn’t see the Canucks in the playoffs next season but they should break 80 points. I still feel they are at least two more seasons from being competitive and for that to happen Juolevi has to develop into a top 4 guy in the next two years and Tryamkin has to return in that time span. They also need to hit on this years picks and don’t piss money away in UFA season. Save it for 2019. There are some actual good D men out there as of right now.

That’s ambitious. Losing both Sedins but picking up points in the standings. What do you see as facilitating this impressive feat?

Doyle Hargraves

May 11, 2018
Sorry my bad. The league took away the 14 million from the Sedins cap hit and the Canucks aren’t allowed to spend it. They also said guys like Horvat, Boeser and Virtanen are not allowed to improve and that the rookies making the team aren’t allowed to score more than 20 points each. They also said that Vancouver will have just as many injuries or more than last season.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Sorry my bad. The league took away the 14 million from the Sedins cap hit and the Canucks aren’t allowed to spend it. They also said guys like Horvat, Boeser and Virtanen are not allowed to improve and that the rookies making the team aren’t allowed to score more than 20 points each. They also said that Vancouver will have just as many injuries or more than last season.

Who said anything about the league taking away cap space from the Canucks or that players won't improve?

Reactions: geebaan

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
RE: The Sedins. I would put money on the team being better points wise without them. If anything the Vegas Golden Knights has shown us is that the NHL is full of skilled players that can produce if you give them the opportunities on the ice. Daniel Sedin had 23 goals last year. Give a player like Markus Granlund or Sven Baertschi his ice time and offensive zone starts and they'll put up a similar pace.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC

No ones saying that, but what do you think they can or will spend it on that will replace their offense?

And of course guys *can* improve, but they also might not. They also might regress or stagnate like Stecher, Hutton, and Granlund have. But even if they improve, how much do you think is likely? Boeser hits 40? Bo hits 30? Jake hits 20? That’d be a lot of improvement with no stagnation or regression from anyone. Who is Granlund going to play with that he is going to score 23 goals? Sutter? Gagner? Tyler Bozak?

And what do the Golden Knights have to do with us? We certainly didn’t see a Knights-like explosion from our players last year, why would we expect it this year? Do you think losing two players is the same dynamic as creating an entirely new team? Are you actually thinking a Karlsson like season is likely from anyone on our roster not named Bo or Brock?

That’s why I asked what you expected to change in order for this improvement to happen. Not to get more whining about how nothing good can ever happen, but for what things you think need to happen in order for this to occur. It’s a legitimate question.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell

Spend it on what exactly?

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Spend it on what exactly?

Tavares and Carlson.

300px-Heikki_tonniHQ.jpg

Doyle Hargraves

May 11, 2018
No ones saying that, but what do you think they can or will spend it on that will replace their offense?

And of course guys *can* improve, but they also might not. They also might regress or stagnate like Stecher, Hutton, and Granlund have. But even if they improve, how much do you think is likely? Boeser hits 40? Bo hits 30? Jake hits 20? That’d be a lot of improvement with no stagnation or regression from anyone. Who is Granlund going to play with that he is going to score 23 goals? Sutter? Gagner? Tyler Bozak?

And what do the Golden Knights have to do with us? We certainly didn’t see a Knights-like explosion from our players last year, why would we expect it this year? Do you think losing two players is the same dynamic as creating an entirely new team? Are you actually thinking a Karlsson like season is likely from anyone on our roster not named Bo or Brock?

That’s why I asked what you expected to change in order for this improvement to happen. Not to get more whining about how nothing good can ever happen, but for what things you think need to happen in order for this to occur. It’s a legitimate question.

I am hoping Horvat can work his way into a 60-65 point centre next year and Boeser avoids the sophomore jinx and puts up 70 + points. Virtanen takes another step and becomes a 30 point guy. Hopefully one of Sven Baertschi/Goldobin/Lipstick becomes a legit top 6 left winger and puts up 40 points. I hope they get a boost from two of the rookies playing well ( Pettersson, Dahlen, Gaudette). And maybe they sign a couple of useful free agents like Paul Stastny or Ian Cole.

Sure there are a few hopefuls and some ifs but I don’t think it’s out of the realm of possibility to see the team hit 80-84 points. I don’t think they’ll get mangled with injuries as bad and hopefully Markstrom improves a bit more. At the end of the day I know they won’t be good enough to make the playoffs but I’d be happy with some improvement and a couple more young guys making the team.

We really won’t know what the team looks like until after free agency. Then we can play with potential lineups. All this said if they slide into the ditch again I will be fine with another high pick and maybe get lucky and win the damn lottery this time.

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I am hoping Horvat can work his way into a 60-65 point centre next year and Boeser avoids the sophomore jinx and puts up 70 + points. Virtanen takes another step and becomes a 30 point guy. Hopefully one of Sven Baertschi/Goldobin/Lipstick becomes a legit top 6 left winger and puts up 40 points. I hope they get a boost from two of the rookies playing well ( Pettersson, Dahlen, Gaudette). And maybe they sign a couple of useful free agents like Paul Stastny or Ian Cole.

Sure there are a few hopefuls and some ifs but I don’t think it’s out of the realm of possibility to see the team hit 80-84 points. I don’t think they’ll get mangled with injuries as bad and hopefully Markstrom improves a bit more. At the end of the day I know they won’t be good enough to make the playoffs but I’d be happy with some improvement and a couple more young guys making the team.

We really won’t know what the team looks like until after free agency. Then we can play with potential lineups. All this said if they slide into the ditch again I will be fine with another high pick and maybe get lucky and win the damn lottery this time.

Lots of hopefuls, and suggesting they sign some older veterans. Sounds like a real rebuild. Maybe they can trade away more draft picks too?

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Lots of hopefuls, and suggesting they sign some older veterans. Sounds like a real rebuild. Maybe they can trade away more draft picks too?
If we sign UFAs to more than single year contracts, and trade away picks (again) I will be pissed.

Doyle Hargraves

May 11, 2018
Did I suggest to trade picks? I’d rather move Sven for a 2nd if they could and get whatever pick you can for Granlund. I’m not saying I would give those guys three or four year deals but Elmer and the Aquilinis might. And if there is internal improvement and they get a couple decent UFA 80+ points is not out of the question. That’s all I said.

You can go ahead and be as negative and bitter as you like. I still think playoffs are 2-3 years away but I hope for the young guys sake that things do improve even if it’s only 7-10 points in the standings. It can’t be much fun getting your face kicked in night after night.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
I’m never okay with trading away picks during a rebuild. We should be collecting picks.
Last year was the first time since 2014 that we actually had a second round pick. We had two of them thanks to Benning not throwing it away finally and the Jackets pick from Torts. Im in total agreement that we should be collecting more picks, we should also be rebuilding

Doyle Hargraves

May 11, 2018
Last year was the first time since 2014 that we actually had a second round pick. We had two of them thanks to Benning not throwing it away finally and the Jackets pick from Torts. Im in total agreement that we should be collecting more picks, we should also be rebuilding
They are rebuilding

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
So you must have been upset that Benning didn't do his job this year. Or basically at all during his tenure.
With this sentiment I completely agree. I believe during a rebuilding phase a GM should be collecting picks (especially in the first three rounds) and not trading them away. It was a big mistake during JB’s first three years to trade picks for Vey, Baer, Dorset, Pedan, and gap fillers. I like Guddy and .sutter, but believe the second round picks needed to complete those deals should have killed both trades.

Doyle Hargraves

May 11, 2018
They are? Based on what?
Based on the fact the team is turning over and getting younger. I may not like some of the moves ( recently they’ve been better than in the first 2 1/2 years but I digress) but they are definitely getting younger and rebuilding with younger players. Do I like the shortcuts Elmer tried to take pissing away picks for 23-27 yr old guys? Absolutely not.

Just because they don’t do things your way which causes you to flip your sh!t doesn’t mean it’s not a rebuild. Get outside and get some fresh air buds. Life is too short to be enraged 24-7 about a hockey team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad