2017-2018 CHL/NCAA/Euro Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Lindlöven lånar in NHL-draftat back från Örebro / Lindlövens IF - A-lag
In the '' oh yeah, I remember that guy'' category, Henrikson was loaned to a division 1 club today. It's not quite the SHL or even the Allsvenskan but at least he's finally out of the J-20 league :laugh: .

I would bet this kid would have developed better over here. I just loved what I saw at his 1st dev. camp. Was just big and not easily beaten 1 on 1. Good skater. Do not have any offensive side to his game but would have love to see him develop over here.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I would bet this kid would have developed better over here. I just loved what I saw at his 1st dev. camp. Was just big and not easily beaten 1 on 1. Good skater. Do not have any offensive side to his game but would have love to see him develop over here.
Possibly, he never got drafted in the CHL so the option wasn't there but it would have been nice to at least have it. Maybe the Habs could have pulled a few strings to have a team take a chance on him at the import draft this year since it was clear his SHL team didn't have any plans for the guy. We'll never know I guess, he was a decent projet on paper so I can't complain too much about the pick.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
8 points in as many games and +11. But for his injury, Brook might have been considered for the WJC team this year, let alone next.

I watched him the other day against Calgary and the kid looked very good, I was impressed.. I wouldnt be surprised if he makes TCJ next year..

Reactions: ToLegitToQuit

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Lindlöven lånar in NHL-draftat back från Örebro / Lindlövens IF - A-lag
In the '' oh yeah, I remember that guy'' category, Henrikson was loaned to a division 1 club today. It's not quite the SHL or even the Allsvenskan but at least he's finally out of the J-20 league :laugh: .

he sure does bounce around for a game or two each year. He appeared in his first SHL game this year but only played 2:38 TOI. Last year he had 2 games in the Allsvenskan and 1 game there the previous year.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
From The Athletic NHL, Corey Pronman has an article focusing on one prospect from each organization. He wrote about Evans for Montreal:

Montreal: Jake Evans, C

Evans is the leading scorer in the NCAA and a critical piece in Notre Dame currently being a contender. “He’s always been a very smart two-way center with great offensive instincts, but I think this year he’s been more assertive playing inside the dots on offense,” Evans' coach Jeff Jackson said. Evans isn’t a big guy and his skating is average too. What gives him an NHL chance is his skill and IQ.

Evans is also a fourth-year college player, meaning in August he could become an unrestricted NHL free agent. Should Montreal fans be worried about him bolting to another organization? Jackson doesn’t seem too concerned. “I think he’s really happy with how Montreal has treated him,” Jackson said. “My instinct is that he will probably sign [with Montreal].”

But Evans was less certain: “I have no ill will towards Montreal. I’m just trying to enjoy my last year [at Notre Dame] and when the time comes, we’ll see what happens.”

Montreal has usually visited Evans once every few months, but the visits have been more frequent this season as he is a pending NHL free agent.

Anathema

Nov 23, 2017
William Bitten with a goal (10th) and an assist so far vs Sudbury. Michael Pezzetta doesn’t seem to be playing.

Last edited by a moderator:

bryan1966

Time for some fast & skilled hockey!
Nov 24, 2011
New Hampshire
Josh Brook Not playing tonight for Moose Jaw, injured?
Pezzetta not playing tonight for Sudbury, 2nd game out of line up, injury update?

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Thanks for these, guys

My god, Poehling can pass the puck. We might've really lucked out with this pick.

I'm not quite sold on Evans but if he could be a potential upgrade on Pleks that would be great. A Danault upgrade would be even better. Hope he can get faster and stronger.

Yeah him and Vejdemo should take their time over there. As long as they keep improving.

Which plekanec are we talking about? Today's plekanec is is not a high bar, but at one point, he was a very solid 2 way centre. If Evans hits that bar, we should be ecstatic.

Reactions: Tuggy

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Which plekanec are we talking about? Today's plekanec is is not a high bar, but at one point, he was a very solid 2 way centre. If Evans hits that bar, we should be ecstatic.

Evans is a dark horse. He's leading the NCAA and driving the offense on his team who are very good. He doesn't shoot much but is a good two way center and good on face offs. So yeah, his ceiling potential is Pleky in his prime. It's a long shot and Evans needs to prove himself once he plays AHL/NHL but there is reason to be excited about having him in our prospect pool based on his development so far.

Personally, I think he makes the NHL as a 23 or 24 year old after 1 or 2 years of AHL. I think he needs to learn how to play in a more physical league. Same as Scherbak.

That move reminds me of Fortier from the Mooseheads. Anybody know if Bitten has a shot or does he score most of his goals in tight?

Last edited by a moderator:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Evans is a dark horse. He's leading the NCAA and driving the offense on his team who are very good. He doesn't shoot much but is a good two way center and good on face offs. So yeah, his ceiling potential is Pleky in his prime. It's a long shot and Evans needs to prove himself once he plays AHL/NHL but there is reason to be excited about having him in our prospect pool based on his development so far.

Personally, I think he makes the NHL as a 23 or 24 year old after 1 or 2 years of AHL. I think he needs to learn how to play in a more physical league. Same as Scherbak.

That move reminds me of Fortier from the Mooseheads. Anybody know if Bitten has a shot or does he score most of his goals in tight?

I would say Evans is closer to current Pleks then the prime 70 pt Pleks. But we'll have to see how he adjusts when he makes the jump. A 30+ pt 3rd line RH center that is great on draws and a smart hard working playmaker would be just what we need.

Bitten has a good shot from what i've seen. His best assets are his speed and work ethic.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I would say Evans is closer to current Pleks then the prime 70 pt Pleks. But we'll have to see how he adjusts when he makes the jump. A 30+ pt 3rd line RH center that is great on draws and a smart hard working playmaker would be just what we need.

Bitten has a good shot from what i've seen. His best assets are his speed and work ethic.

I think Evans potential is somewhere between Pleky today and Pleky at his prime. Pleky had 0.76 pts/game in the AHL over 233 games. He made the NHL at the age of 23 I believe. Evans has 2 more years of development before he reaches this stage. It's hard to compare point totals as the NHL is different but I do believe Evans has proven his ceiling is Pleky in his prime. Am I saying he will reach it definitely ? No. I'm saying that's what his ceiling is. 1.4 pts/game as a 21 year old and driving the offense for a very good team in Notre Dame is reason to say he has potential to be a very good NHL player someday if he continues his development path.

I always worry about small players who can score in tight in Junior but don't score from the outside due to a average or below average shot. Scoring in tight in the AHL or NHL is a completely different game. That's why I asked about Bitten and how many goals does he have with him shooting the puck vs in tight

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I think Evans potential is somewhere between Pleky today and Pleky at his prime. Pleky had 0.76 pts/game in the AHL over 233 games. He made the NHL at the age of 23 I believe. Evans has 2 more years of development before he reaches this stage. It's hard to compare point totals as the NHL is different but I do believe Evans has proven his ceiling is Pleky in his prime. Am I saying he will reach it definitely ? No. I'm saying that's what his ceiling is. 1.4 pts/game as a 21 year old and driving the offense for a very good team in Notre Dame is reason to say he has potential to be a very good NHL player someday if he continues his development path.

I always worry about small players who can score in tight in Junior but don't score from the outside due to a average or below average shot. Scoring in tight in the AHL or NHL is a completely different game. That's why I asked about Bitten and how many goals does he have with him shooting the puck vs in tight

I'm not even 100% Evans can be better than Pleks now. I feel like he can be but he's just not the fastest player nor the biggest. Hopefully he's strong for his size. It would be a huge coup if he could be anywhere near prime Pleks. I hope he can still improve his speed.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'm not even 100% Evans can be better than Pleks now. I feel like he can be but he's just not the fastest player nor the biggest. Hopefully he's strong for his size. It would be a huge coup if he could be anywhere near prime Pleks. I hope he can still improve his speed.

Separate yourself from what you know Pleky has become over his career. Compare Pleky at age 21 to Evans at age 21. Evans may bust but his year to year development and style of game is very similar to Pleky and the development he had back when.

The next critical path for Evans is how he reacts to a more physical league in the AHL/NHL. However, the NCAA is becoming a very competitive league and Evans is doing very well as a 21 year old. He is certainly a dark horse and who knows what direction he takes from this point forward.

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
Vejdemo has extended his contract with Djurgården for another year. Don't know if it matters if Montreal wants him over though. For NHL it doesn't and I doubt it does if they decide they want him in the AHL aswell

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Vejdemo has extended his contract with Djurgården for another year. Don't know if it matters if Montreal wants him over though. For NHL it doesn't and I doubt it does if they decide they want him in the AHL aswell
It's consistent with what he said in a recent interview, he was pretty firm about wanting to stay a bit longer in Sweden and about not wanting to go to the AHL. I don't expect the Habs will have any problem with it, he's been progressing real well this year in the SHL so no need to fix a situation that isn't broken.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
Separate yourself from what you know Pleky has become over his career. Compare Pleky at age 21 to Evans at age 21. Evans may bust but his year to year development and style of game is very similar to Pleky and the development he had back when.

The next critical path for Evans is how he reacts to a more physical league in the AHL/NHL. However, the NCAA is becoming a very competitive league and Evans is doing very well as a 21 year old. He is certainly a dark horse and who knows what direction he takes from this point forward.

I remember watching Plekanec and Joseph Balej messing around at a prospect camp or something back when they were both prospects. Plekanec had sick sick skills. He was so much further along than Balej was in so many ways and then he just kept working and paying his dues. Watching Evans this summer I definitely would not compare them skills wise. Plekanecs had way better hands and shot. What I liked about Evans was his intensity and that he seems to be one of those guys that is in the right place at the right time.

I'm definitely not discounting Evans, but if he could carve out a career like Tomas Plekanec, this would be a huge success for the team and for him.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I remember watching Plekanec and Joseph Balej messing around at a prospect camp or something back when they were both prospects. Plekanec had sick sick skills. He was so much further along than Balej was in so many ways and then he just kept working and paying his dues. Watching Evans this summer I definitely would not compare them skills wise. Plekanecs had way better hands and shot. What I liked about Evans was his intensity and that he seems to be one of those guys that is in the right place at the right time.

I'm definitely not discounting Evans, but if he could carve out a career like Tomas Plekanec, this would be a huge success for the team and for him.

At what age was Pleky when your remember this? What he age 21 or 23?

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
Good question. I'm thinking it was probably 2003. So he would have been 22? Evans is 21, plus he is not pro yet. Also I think Evans has made a huge jump even from this summer... so it is possible. I certainly hope he have a career like Pleks. I don't he needs to have the same skill as him anyway because Evans plays a different game. I hope he can somehow develop Pleks insane competitiveness and pesty demeanour.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I remember reading some reports online about the Habs' development camp in late June/early July. They were saying how Evans and Scherbak looked real good together. I remember being happy reading that.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
- Cale Fleury with an assist last night in Regina's 3-2 loss to Saskatoon. He now has 21 points in 32 games played. Also, right now, he is only a -3. I know his -61 was pointed at to display concern for his selection.

Also, here is a big hit by Fleury from another game:

- Tyszka also had an assist in Seattle's 10-3 crushing of Spokane. How now has 21 points in 31 games played. Pretty similar production to Fleury.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012

yeah though Evans' skating isn't the greatest he's not slow. He seems to play with enough urgency that his skating shouldn't be a problem. You'd just like it to be better because he isn't the biggest guy and it would bode quite well for him.

An Evans who's physically ready for the big show should theoretically be a pretty solid upgrade over Pleks now. He and Hudon could be quite solid together. Same with Lehkonen. We obviously need more but I think even an upgrade at 3rd line C would show a marked improvement in this team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad