2017-2018 CHL/NCAA/Euro Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I'm not even 100% Evans can be better than Pleks now. I feel like he can be but he's just not the fastest player nor the biggest. Hopefully he's strong for his size. It would be a huge coup if he could be anywhere near prime Pleks. I hope he can still improve his speed.

He's not strong for his size.

Vejdemo has extended his contract with Djurgården for another year. Don't know if it matters if Montreal wants him over though. For NHL it doesn't and I doubt it does if they decide they want him in the AHL aswell

I didn't expect him in North America next year, doesn't mean they won't bring him over but they have another year before they have to sign him so it would make sense since he had a decent year then he had a down year and now he's having a bit of a breakout year so seems like a good ideal to leave him there for another year to see if he improves or not.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Yes huge step forward. Now 0.5 PPG in the SHL. That should translate to at least 0.25 PPG in the NHL :laugh:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Vejdemo went into this season with 9 career goals in 103 games, in 26 games this year he has 7 goals. Clearly something is starting to click for him. Today he played what is likely a career high in TOI, certainly a season high as only once this year did he play over 19:34 before today and he hadn't played over 20:02 this year.

Vejdemo is still a ways away from being even a top 10 prospect for the Habs, but he's got some interesting tools for sure and if he can consistently put it all together then the Habs might have something. The point is that he's headed in an upwards direction, now we need to see how much it continues and where it goes from there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stive Morgan

Yoshidas Island

TY for the memories Yosh :'(
Jan 2, 2015
Vejdemo went into this season with 9 career goals in 103 games, in 26 games this year he has 7 goals. Clearly something is starting to click for him. Today he played what is likely a career high in TOI, certainly a season high as only once this year did he played over 19:34 before today and he hadn't played over 20:02 this year.

Vejdemo is still a ways away from being even a top 10 prospect for the Habs, but he's got some interesting tools for sure and if he can consistently put it all together then the Habs might have something. The point is that he's headed in an upwards direction, now we need to see how much it continues and where it goes from there.

It starts to make sense as to why the Habs selected them as highly as they did. They clearly saw some potential, and it's starting to show.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

The holidays will certainly be fun hockey-wise. Along with Ikonen, Poehling, and Mete at WJC, we'll have Evans at the Spengler Cup for Canada. And possibly Fucale also.

Reactions: Tuggy

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
This will be the only time I watch the Spengler cup. Provided the game times don't coincide with ANY of the WJC games.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Vejdemo went into this season with 9 career goals in 103 games, in 26 games this year he has 7 goals. Clearly something is starting to click for him. Today he played what is likely a career high in TOI, certainly a season high as only once this year did he played over 19:34 before today and he hadn't played over 20:02 this year.

yeah he still has time to put it together. the SHL isn't the highest scoring league from what I understand. If he can continue to build on what he's doing and keep trending upward we might have ourselves a player. I'd love it if he can get stronger. That would go a long way for him. He could actually be an exciting prospect, I think he could at least be an NHLer at this point.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Weirdly enough, the spengler cup has always been a guilty pleasure of mine. It has a unique atmosphere and I get to see a lot of names from the past I'd completely forgotten about.

Very true. It is unlike any other tournament. It has a very unique vibe. The arena has a unique look. It has the European atmosphere. You see all the ads on the ice and the jerseys, so it has a different look and different vibe from any other tournament.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Very true. It is unlike any other tournament. It has a very unique vibe. The arena has a unique look. It has the European atmosphere. You see all the ads on the ice and the jerseys, so it has a different look and different vibe from any other tournament.

As much as I love seeing how naked those 80s and earlier boards that had no ads on them as well as just despising the whole corporatization of everything, I actually like those euro jerseys that are just covered with ads and i don't know why hahaha. Like you just take something bad to it's logical extreme and it comes out the other end as good again lol.

never watched the spengler but with Evans I'd actually like to try

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
As much as I love seeing how naked those 80s and earlier boards that had no ads on them as well as just despising the whole corporatization of everything, I actually like those euro jerseys that are just covered with ads and i don't know why hahaha. Like you just take something bad to it's logical extreme and it comes out the other end as good again lol.

never watched the spengler but with Evans I'd actually like to try

I will follow him this tournament for sure. I don't commit to it much either. I usually like to put more of my effort in the WJC. But with Evans in this year, I will definitely commit to it more.

I do catch a few games every year and it feels different watching the Spengler Cup.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Weirdly enough, the spengler cup has always been a guilty pleasure of mine. It has a unique atmosphere and I get to see a lot of names from the past I'd completely forgotten about.

I have been watching it for years and I really enjoy it, day games and having a few drinks during the Christmas break and the Spengler is something I like. The crowds are in a good mood and like others have said it has a good feel to it.

Reactions: Tuggy

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
yeah he still has time to put it together. the SHL isn't the highest scoring league from what I understand. If he can continue to build on what he's doing and keep trending upward we might have ourselves a player. I'd love it if he can get stronger. That would go a long way for him. He could actually be an exciting prospect, I think he could at least be an NHLer at this point.

it's possible that he's more of a late bloomer. He turns 22 in just over a month, but to date has played on 129 SHL games played. The good news is that he's scored almost as many goals in 26 games then he had points in all of last year and is on pace to put up more points this year then he has in his career over 103 games. That's what you want to see, some real progression. To establish himself as a top player on his team, and build off that. Right now he's still only 5th on his team in points but tied for 3rd in goals and getting increased ice time while being tied for 9th overall in SHL scoring for players under 24. So the question becomes how much more can he progress this year, next year, the following. If he does then we might have something.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
With Vejdemo, you have to remember he lost a lot of development time pre-draft due to injuries. Physical maturity especially took some time in his case, he was thin as a rail as a rookie in the SHL. Some guys are just late bloomers.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
With Vejdemo, you have to remember he lost a lot of development time pre-draft due to injuries. Physical maturity especially took some time in his case, he was thin as a rail as a rookie in the SHL. Some guys are just late bloomers.

he killed it in his draft year in the J20 with 23 goals in 34 games and 48 pts. His first full season in the SHL at 19/20 was pretty decent for the limited ice time he got on a not so good team. Last year was brutal stats wise since he had less then half the points of his rookie year. I'm interested to see if he can be consistent or not.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
he killed it in his draft year in the J20 with 23 goals in 34 games and 48 pts. His first full season in the SHL at 19/20 was pretty decent for the limited ice time he got on a not so good team. Last year was brutal stats wise since he had less then half the points of his rookie year. I'm interested to see if he can be consistent or not.

I remember seeing those highlights from that J20 year and getting far too excited lol. That breakaway goal he scored a week or so ago was a flashback to that and got me excited again. He's still a long shot to be something special but I think there is still hope. I think patience will help. If he can continue to fill out and continue to gain some offensive swagger. Glad he's staying in Sweden. That's probably the best place for him to mature.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

I feel like it might be important to note that Vejdemo was drafted in his D+1 year and lost a significant amount of time due to injury in his D year.

I've watched him a few times this year. He's a clever player, and an effortless skater. In my opinion, he's just not aggressive enough to be an offensive contributor at the next level, though.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I feel like it might be important to note that Vejdemo was drafted in his D+1 year and lost a significant amount of time due to injury in his D year.

I've watched him a few times this year. He's a clever player, and an effortless skater. In my opinion, he's just not aggressive enough to be an offensive contributor at the next level, though.

it's funny Mitch Brown wrote an article stating that Vejdemo's been more aggressive this year. I wish I could've read it but you have to pay and/or subscribe. He's definitely still a long shot to be a guy who can produce significantly in the NHL. I think if he can still bulk up it would go a long way. He still looks pretty skinny to me.

I don't know when we have to sign him but we should definitely leave him in Sweden for as long as we can.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
it's funny Mitch Brown wrote an article stating that Vejdemo's been more aggressive this year. I wish I could've read it but you have to pay and/or subscribe. He's definitely still a long shot to be a guy who can produce significantly in the NHL. I think if he can still bulk up it would go a long way. He still looks pretty skinny to me.

I don't know when we have to sign him but we should definitely leave him in Sweden for as long as we can.

I subscribe to the Athletic. Mitch said that he's been more aggressive, but he's "still predominately a low-risk, defence-first player", a "a below-average shooter and only a decent playmaker". Defence, positioning and reading the play are his strengths according to the article.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I subscribe to the Athletic. Mitch said that he's been more aggressive, but he's "still predominately a low-risk, defence-first player", a "a below-average shooter and only a decent playmaker". Defence, positioning and reading the play are his strengths according to the article.

great. thanks for that.

well hopefully that's just the code of the road for a young player in the SHL.

I probably got far too excited about him and Bitten but both seem to be making a bit of a leap. I still have hope they can have top 6 potential but I'm fully aware that both are long shots in that regard. It doesn't seem impossible but not something I'd bet on for either at this point.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
great. thanks for that.

well hopefully that's just the code of the road for a young player in the SHL.

I probably got far too excited about him and Bitten but both seem to be making a bit of a leap. I still have hope they can have top 6 potential but I'm fully aware that both are long shots in that regard. It doesn't seem impossible but not something I'd bet on for either at this point.

I like Bitten's upside as a complementary piece on a scoring line, but I see Vejdemo as more of a two-way 4th liner if he makes it. Kind of like a Mitchell.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I like Bitten's upside as a complementary piece on a scoring line, but I see Vejdemo as more of a two-way 4th liner if he makes it. Kind of like a Mitchell.

yeah despite a mediocre year production wise last year, he just works too hard, is too fast and is a damn fine passer for me to think he still can't crack a top 6. If he can continue the way he's going and end the year hot has he's been then I'll keep hope alive. Out of him and Vejdemo, Bitten likely has the better chance to crack a top 6.

Right now Vejdemo looks like he could be what DLR couldn't be or can't be at the moment. I think he'd still have to fill out for even a 4th line role but it seems well within his reach anyways. I'd just hate for that to be his ceiling, likely as it is. I really hope he still has A LOT more room to improve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad