2017-2018 Blues Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
With VGK grabbing Subban (goalie) should we be seriously worried about Husso/Binnington?
Husso isn't eligible for waivers. Binnington just cleared. Even if Binnington got picked up it's not really a huge loss.

EDIT: Just realized you were concerned about the implications on playing time for Husso/Binnington. Splatter covered it pretty well, it doesn't impact Husso since he's with SA and that's all we should be worried about. Binnington likely doesn't have much of a future with the Blues.

Last edited:

Splatter

Sep 13, 2010
St. Louis
With VGK grabbing Subban (goalie) should we be seriously worried about Husso/Binnington?

Seems like Vegas would need to keep 3 goalies up. It shouldn't impact the Wolves in the near future. Not like Binnington has a bright future with the Blues anyways. Husso is in San Antonio, so no worries there.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Yea, they have to keep all 3 or trade one. Pickard would be grabbed in a heartbeat if waived. Subban would go back to Boston's AHL club first, and they are not waiving Fleury as he'll be the marketing face of the franchise. Its kind of funny that the one goalie they won't waive is the one most likely to clear due to his cap hit and age.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Ahh thanks guys for some reason I was under the impression Husso was with the Wolves. Good deal. I was worried we were going to have to find an unconventional way to get him some more playing time.

I agree with Binnington not having much of a future. Not sure which would get called up first though between Husso and Binnington

Splatter

Sep 13, 2010
St. Louis
Ahh thanks guys for some reason I was under the impression Husso was with the Wolves. Good deal. I was worried we were going to have to find an unconventional way to get him some more playing time.

I agree with Binnington not having much of a future. Not sure which would get called up first though between Husso and Binnington

I could see it being Binnington if it's somebody to sit on the bench and Allen or Hutton is the only healthy goalie. If it's a case of a goalie getting called up because Allen and Hutton are playing awful, Husso will be called up.

Reactions: Maikkeli

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
I could see it being Binnington if it's somebody to sit on the bench and Allen or Hutton is the only healthy goalie. If it's a case of a goalie getting called up because Allen and Hutton are playing awful, Husso will be called up.

Yeah I feel as if there was an injury to Allen it would be Husso, and if its just Hutton that can't go Binnington would be slotted ib

Splatter

Sep 13, 2010
St. Louis
Binnington was sent to Chicago, but Army is looking for another spot for him since the Wolves are already loaded at goalie.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
You know the kid I think may be a sleeper - David Noel. Yeah, I know he looked lost at times in the traverse city tourney, and I cringed at times with his play. He was used in all situations and quite frankly he was the youngest dman on the team. Solid outlet passes and through some big hits.

He is the top player on his team and only NHL drafted player. Has 5 points in 6 games which is great for a dman. He will get tons of opportunity to play and prime icetime.

He has another goal and assist tonight.

Last edited:

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Some updates on our top prospects:

Blais: 1 goal for SA over the weekend, hopefully he lights it up in the AHL to earn a call up.

Schmaltz: 1 goal for SA as well and sounds like he was all over the ice for the team. Hopefully him getting cut lit a fire under him and he can push his way back up to the Blues.

Husso: Hasn't played a game yet for SA, but the Rampage have only played 1 game so far so not a big deal. I'm sure he gets in soon.

Walman: 0 points in 2 games for the Wolves and a -3. Not the start I was hoping for but he's getting pushed down by Theodore who has 5 points in 2 games and should probably be on Vegas but McPhee botched his job and decided to keep a bunch of scrub dmen on the roster.

Musil: 1 assist so far with SA. He looked good for the Wolves at the end of last season and I'm hoping it carries over this season.

Kyrou: Picked up where he left off from last season with 9 points in 5 games so far. Sarnia's offense is looking very potent right now so Kyrou could put up some big numbers this season. Adam Ruzicka is off to a great start as well, was hoping the Blues would be able to snag him in one of the middle rounds.

Thomas: Pretty average start for him with 4 points in 4 games. London is actually a much weaker team this season as they've lost a lot of key personnel from last year. Mitchell Stephens is now in the AHL, Janne Kuokkanen made the Canes roster, Mete made the Habs roster, and Juolevi is in Finland. Alex Formenton also made the Sens but I'm guessing he'll be sent down eventually. Jesper Bratt was also a possibility for the Knights but he made the Devils and looks outstanding thus far. Even if he gets sent down, it'll likely be the AHL rather than the OHL for him. They recently got Sam Miletic who should be a boost to their offense, but London does not look like they'll be contenders this season.

Toropchenko: Off to a solid start in Guelph with 8 points in 6 games. Guelph doesn't have a ton of options up front so Toropchenko should have a great opportunity to put up some points.

Kostin: Played 1 game for SA over the weekend and no points.

Fitzpatrick: 0-3 start and has basically gotten torched every game I believe. His backup, Brendan Cregan, has been getting the majority of the starts lately as well.

Kaspick: 8 points in 7 games for the Wheat Kings. I expect Kaspick to be around a point-per-game as he's one of the veterans on the team and Brandon isn't really stacked on offense, aside from being a little top heavy.

Stevens: 1 assist in 2 games thus far for Northeastern. Not sure what Stevens role is on the team or where he is on the depth chart, but Northeastern has a lot of options up front. Gaudette and Sikura are the main ones but Zach Solow and Matt Filipe are off to great starts as well.

Krag: 0 points in 4 games in the second best league in Finland. Pretty much expected for our future Malkin.

Nikkola: 1 assist in 5 games so far in the SM-liiga. Also racked up 20 PIMs already so either he's had a couple fights or he's been taking 2 minors per game.

Noel: 7 points in 7 games for Val d'Or thus far which is a fine start for him. Don't know much about the QMJHL myself so I can't comment on his team or the quality of his teammates. Being point-per-game is an encouraging sign though as not many people here really knew or believed in Noel, myself included.

Bourque: 1 point in 6 games. He's never been a point producer in juniors and I don't expect that to start now.

MoM usually does this but I haven't seen him around in a bit so I'm guessing he's busy with IRL stuff. I probably won't do these updates very often, maybe once a month if MoM isn't around.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Schmaltz: 1 goal for SA as well and sounds like he was all over the ice for the team. Hopefully him getting cut lit a fire under him and he can push his way back up to the Blues.

Did Yeo ever give any indication on why he was cut? I thought he beat out Prosser and Walman for sure. He probably was ahead of Dunn in camp based on what I saw. Yet he got cut early. I was too busy worrying about the other cuts to give it much thought. But I am curious if coaches were disappointed in his play or if it was pure logistics with shot balance being a RHS.

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
Did Yeo ever give any indication on why he was cut? I thought he beat out Prosser and Walman for sure. He probably was ahead of Dunn in camp based on what I saw. Yet he got cut early. I was too busy worrying about the other cuts to give it much thought. But I am curious if coaches were disappointed in his play or if it was pure logistics with shot balance being a RHS.
Would have to think it was numbers related and the fact he was waiver exempt. Prosser is better off in the box schmaltz is developing with big minutes in San Antonio which also helps boost his trade value potentially.

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
Would have to think it was numbers related and the fact he was waiver exempt. Prosser is better off in the box schmaltz is developing with big minutes in San Antonio which also helps boost his trade value potentially.
Schmaltz has about zero value at this point. He was the last in his draft class (1st rounders only) to play in an NHL game and at this point the only way he gains value is by playing strong games in the NHL.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Does playing well in the AHL really help boost trade value much at 24 years old (Happy belated birthday Jordan)? I think at that age, people want to see something of his play in the NHL, more than seeing a lot in the minors, before pulling the trigger.

I would agree that his demotion probably logistical, (# of RHD, waiver-eligibility, and effect of press-box time on development). But tis still sad he could not make a case for himself that his being in the line-up either in place of Bortuzzo, or with Bortuzzo on the left, wasn't woreth the risk of losing Prosser.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
I don't think Schmaltz has zero value. That term gets thrown around way too much.

He's waiver eligible and the two depth defensemen the Blues happen to have are both RH shots. The Blues are not an organization that would run an all-rookie defensive pairing if they have a viable alternative, and they do. It makes sense for Schmaltz to continue developing in a larger role in the AHL.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with Dunn when Bouwmeester comes back. I'd bet he ends up back in the AHL as well.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
I don't think Schmaltz has zero value. That term gets thrown around way too much.

He's waiver eligible and the two depth defensemen the Blues happen to have are both RH shots. The Blues are not an organization that would run an all-rookie defensive pairing if they have a viable alternative, and they do. It makes sense for Schmaltz to continue developing in a larger role in the AHL.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with Dunn when Bouwmeester comes back. I'd bet he ends up back in the AHL as well.
I was just in the middle of writing something like this until I saw your message pop up.:laugh:

I agree that saying he has "no trade value" is just hyperbole. He played a quiet, yet effective, game last year for the Blues. From what I saw in preseason, he was playing similarly this year. I really think the only problem with Schmaltz is that he plays a style of game that doesn't benefit from sitting in the box. Couple that with his waiver exemption, and I don't see how him being sent down is indicative that he has no value.

joshyhockey26

Dec 6, 2015
st louis

100% Dunn will be sent down. Prosser can hold down the fort in the press box. Dunn will play nightly for (likely) San Antonio. He needs the ice time, when that’s in the NHL or AHL.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
David Noel picked up another assist.
Thomas had another pointless game. At some point, he will really need to pick up the pace a bit.
Jk had a big night and is making a great case for himself for the WJC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad