2017-2018 Blues Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Robert Thomas showed way too much at the semi pro/pro level to worry about production. Isn't London alot worse then expected?

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
London has been brutal this season insofar. They have like two defenders worth a crap. Plus the big guns up front aren't finishing. Three of their losses are to Windsor who's goalie is dominating currently. I expect them to come back around but if they don't Thomas may be looking at being traded given he's potentially available for next year as well.

Kyrou has been dominant with puck on stick but he's super lazy without the puck. Just waits for someone else to dig it free. Granted he's not needed to play with a lot of intensity with Sarnia scoring like crazy.

joshyhockey26

Dec 6, 2015
st louis
London has been brutal this season insofar. They have like two defenders worth a crap. Plus the big guns up front aren't finishing. Three of their losses are to Windsor who's goalie is dominating currently. I expect them to come back around but if they don't Thomas may be looking at being traded given he's potentially available for next year as well.

Kyrou has been dominant with puck on stick but he's super lazy without the puck. Just waits for someone else to dig it free. Granted he's not needed to play with a lot of intensity with Sarnia scoring like crazy.
Sadly Kyrou is in that spot of being “too good for junior”. He knows he’ll get the goals. We won’t see anymore real effort til he makes the jump to the AHL this coming spring.

Reactions: BlueDream

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
Sadly Kyrou is in that spot of being “too good for junior”. He knows he’ll get the goals. We won’t see anymore real effort til he makes the jump to the AHL this coming spring.
Agreed. He looks like he's just toying with players half the time. Like what crazy move can I make here.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
I wouldn't really expect London to come back around. They aren't as bad as their current record suggests, but they really aren't much better. Their defense is putrid, which excuses their lack of points... but not really their lack of offense at that level.

The production from Thomas might not be a huge worry, but he apparently is not playing well at all either. Hopefully London go into a full tank soon and he'll be traded somewhere.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
100% Dunn will be sent down. Prosser can hold down the fort in the press box. Dunn will play nightly for (likely) San Antonio. He needs the ice time, when that’s in the NHL or AHL.
This is the likely scenario but I wouldn't be completely surprised to see Prosser sent down. He hasn't played at all yet and would probably clear waivers. We will see how Dunn performs these next few games.

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
Dunn should not be sent down, he can actually get the puck up the ice, which is something nobody else on LHD is good at.

But this is the Blues, so he'll probably be sent down in favor of Gunnarsson and Bouwmeester...

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Dunn should not be sent down, he can actually get the puck up the ice, which is something nobody else on LHD is good at.

But this is the Blues, so he'll probably be sent down in favor of Gunnarsson and Bouwmeester...
Neither Gunner or Boumeester have done anything to warrant getting sat for a rookie. Hell, If I'm being honest Gunner has been playing better than Dunn this season, and that's not a knock at Dunn, Gunner is just better defensively.

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
Neither Gunner or Boumeester have done anything to warrant getting sat for a rookie. Hell, If I'm being honest Gunner has been playing better than Dunn this season, and that's not a knock at Dunn, Gunner is just better defensively.
What does being a rookie have to do with anything?

The idea should be to ice the best lineup possible. Dunn brings an offensive element that nobody on the left side has and he isn't liable in his own zone. That has more value than anything Carl Gunnarsson, who is a bottom pair defender and way overpaid, brings to the table.

Dunn has gotten his feet wet and looked better each game he's played. Until he starts to cap off or his play drops, why send him down? He has a hell of a lot more potential than Gunnarsson as a player now and going forward.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011

The idea should be to ice the best lineup possible. Dunn brings an offensive element that nobody on the left side has and he isn't liable in his own zone. That has more value than anything Carl Gunnarsson, who is a bottom pair defender and way overpaid, brings to the table.

Dunn has gotten his feet wet and looked better each game he's played. Until he starts to cap off or his play drops, why send him down? He has a hell of a lot more potential than Gunnarsson as a player now and going forward.
You are arguing we sit a player to ice the best possible line-up, and yet your reasoning we play another is because he has potential.

This line of thinking makes no sense. IF we want to ice the best line-up, we ice the best players in their respective positions. Dunn can, and probably will, be a much better option than either Gunnarsson or Bouwmeester in the future. But that has yet to be proven in any regard.

Linkens Mastery

Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule

Gunner is better than Dunn ATM. Therefore with your argument we should be playing Gunner because he would be icing the best lineup with him, not Dunn.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Much better 1st Period by The Blues than that of The Panthers' game. The Blues are ready to play this one. It'll be a tough game. But, at least they'll have a chance to win this one. And Blais has looked good so far.

Last edited:

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
Gunner is better than Dunn ATM. Therefore with your argument we should be playing Gunner because he would be icing the best lineup with him, not Dunn.
You are arguing we sit a player to ice the best possible line-up, and yet your reasoning we play another is because he has potential.

This line of thinking makes no sense. IF we want to ice the best line-up, we ice the best players in their respective positions. Dunn can, and probably will, be a much better option than either Gunnarsson or Bouwmeester in the future. But that has yet to be proven in any regard.
I said what Dunn brings to the table is more useful than Gunnarsson, on top of the fact he has higher upside.

Dunn is already better than Gunnarsson. Gunnarsson isn't good.

Linkens Mastery

Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
I said what Dunn brings to the table is more useful than Gunnarsson, on top of the fact he has higher upside.

If Gunnersson was playing the way he did last year, I would agree with you. But Gunnerson has been playing like a legit 4-5 guy so far this season why Dunn has been playing like a 5-6. Gunnersson is still currently better than Dunn at this moment, but hey, that can change by Wednesday, or hell, it might not change til the middle to end of the season. But, at this moment in time, Gunnersson is the better player and has done NOTHING to warrant getting sat this season so far.

Reactions: STL fan in MN

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011

Well if Gunnarsson isn't good, then Dunn must be awful.

Tonight's game epitomized the issue with Dunn in that he's just not used to the NHL yet. Gunnarsson, for all we and advanced stats want to say about him, is at least more capable defensively than Dunn is now. With that, unless Dunn is scoring, he's not adding anymore value to the team than Gunnarsson. In time, I'm sure that won't be true, but that time certainly isn't now.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Gunnar vs. Dunn and who's better is slim. Dunn has improved his game everye time he has played. Before regular season games started I view Gunnar ahead of Dunn, but just how comfortble Dunn is and getting use his instincs gives me opinion that I would rarther give kid icetime to play and see how far he can go when Dunn hits wall bring Gunnar Back. Gunnar isn't going to be worse in pressbox.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Vinny led the left side in TOI tonight. Gunnarson is more experienced but Dunn does offer more in the form of transition and offense. As Ransku said....he looks better every game.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
David Noel: 3 more assists last night. 4 assists for the weekend
Kaspick: 3 more assists
JK: 1 assist last night
Kostin: 1 assist
Schmaltz: 2 assists

Splatter

Sep 13, 2010
St. Louis
Gunnarsson is more reliable and has been having a good season thus far, but I'd hate to impede the progress that Dunn is making. At this rate, I think he surpasses Gunnarsson before the season is up. I wish one of the LD could play RD and they could just bench Bortuzzo instead.

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
Gunnarsson is more reliable and has been having a good season thus far, but I'd hate to impede the progress that Dunn is making. At this rate, I think he surpasses Gunnarsson before the season is up. I wish one of the LD could play RD and they could just bench Bortuzzo instead.
dunn might offensively be able to outperform gunnarsson, but defensively there's little chance he will be more reliable than gunnarsson by the end of this season

dunn has a ways to go, would not expect to see him night in and out with a full line up

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
dunn might offensively be able to outperform gunnarsson, but defensively there's little chance he will be more reliable than gunnarsson by the end of this season

dunn has a ways to go, would not expect to see him night in and out with a full line up
Im no advanced stats guru....but from what we've seen of Gunnarsson doesn't point towards him being THAT hard to surpass. I remember last year several gaffs from him. I may not be remembering correctly but wasn't he benched a few times?

It's very possible that a comfortable Dunn can be looked at as a Shattenkirk. Passable at defense and the offense offsets it.

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
Im no advanced stats guru....but from what we've seen of Gunnarsson doesn't point towards him being THAT hard to surpass. I remember last year several gaffs from him. I may not be remembering correctly but wasn't he benched a few times?

It's very possible that a comfortable Dunn can be looked at as a Shattenkirk. Passable at defense and the offense offsets it.

That is asking a lot for a 20 year old defenseman, very little chance he will be in the same tier one of the best offensive defensemen in the league this season. Maybe down the line, but I havent seen enough yet to justify that comparison.

I like Gunnarson with Petro or Parayko, he lets either of them play a more offensive game. I also think Carl is more reliable/skilled with the puck on his stick than Borts or Edmundson.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
That is asking a lot for a 20 year old defenseman, very little chance he will be in the same tier one of the best offensive defensemen in the league this season. Maybe down the line, but I havent seen enough yet to justify that comparison.

I like Gunnarson with Petro or Parayko, he lets either of them play a more offensive game. I also think Carl is more reliable/skilled with the puck on his stick than Borts or Edmundson.
It was a stylistic comparision. I wasnt saying he would put up 50pt+

I would not agree that Gunnarson is more skilled with the puck then Eddy

Reactions: stl76

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010

gunnarsson is passable, but dunn is still getting up to nhl speed at this point and looks, justifiably, like a rookie

i'd still be surprised if dunn sharpened his skills up that quickly to surpass gunnarsson on the depth charts by season's end. dunn wouldn't fit too well on a higher pairing right now, imo. blues want both parayko and pietrangelo to unleash their offensive sides, not cover for dunn. they need two-way or defensive minded partners for now.

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
gunnarsson is passable, but dunn is still getting up to nhl speed at this point and looks, justifiably, like a rookie

i'd still be surprised if dunn sharpened his skills up that quickly to surpass gunnarsson on the depth charts by season's end. dunn wouldn't fit too well on a higher pairing right now, imo. blues want both parayko and pietrangelo to unleash their offensive sides, not cover for dunn. they need two-way or defensive minded partners for now.

I think Dunn did fine with Pietrangelo. I agree it's not the most ideal spot for him, but he did fine. I think he's 100% going to pass Gunnarsson, probably by mid season. I agree that if the Blues want to "unleash" Pietrangelo and Parayko's offensive abilities, than Bouwmeester (when healthy) and Edmundson are the perfect partners, but until 19 is healthy, Gunnarsson needs to fill in one of those spots. However, I think the Blues like having puck moving D on every D pairing so Dunn would be the more attractive player on the 3rd pairing with Bortuzzo than Gunnarsson. I know people like the "physical" element that Bortuzzo brings, but I don't know that a Prosser/Dunn or Schmaltz/Dunn pairing would hurt the Blues that badly. DA and Yeo seem to really like the few more physical players the Blues have in Thorburn and Bortuzzo and I don't see them dropping them out of the lineup too quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad