EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
His name kind of sounds like Tarasenko so I project he will be kind of as good

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
I honestly can't remember a time when I have been this excited about following our prospects progression. Even going back to the days when we were terrible and waiting for the likes of Oshie, Perron and Berglund. This group has me the most optimistic I have been about our prospect pool. While we may not have that "elite" prospect we have a handful of very good prospects, some of which I do think have "elite" potential.

Traverse City starts in 3 Days!!!

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
I honestly can't remember a time when I have been this excited about following our prospects progression. Even going back to the days when we were terrible and waiting for the likes of Oshie, Perron and Berglund. This group has me the most optimistic I have been about our prospect pool. While we may not have that "elite" prospect we have a handful of very good prospects, some of which I do think have "elite" potential.

I am really excited they are planning to stream on FoxSportsGO even though I'm going to be just three hours from the tournament. Perhaps I will find a way to go.

oPlaiD

Dec 3, 2007
I am really excited they are planning to stream on FoxSportsGO even though I'm going to be just three hours from the tournament. Perhaps I will find a way to go.

My family has a cabin in Traverse City and I go there nearly ever Summer for a couple weeks, but I've never managed to be up there coinciding with the prospect tournament. I'm sure it'll happen someday but I'm happy the games will at least be streamed.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida

By all "expert" accounts, we are only a middle-of-the-road prospect pool. I have seen us ranked anywhere form 10-20ish. I pretty much agree with putting us on the high side of that range and with you that we have our most exciting pool in a long time. Those statements seem incongruous. How can we be middle-of-the-road, yet still be super exciting? I think it is a combination of how underwhelming our pool has been for awhile, as well as how the pool only needs to support the overall healthy state of the team with a good core young-ish talented NHLers. But man oh man, can you imagine how excited we would be for a pool like some of the top teams, or like Toronto had? Maybe we can forgive some of the over-rating on the main boards. We hype up the guys we have, we'd be absolutely nuts if we had multiple top 10 prospects.

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
It is quite unfortunate that we have finished so high in rankings over the last several years preventing us from a top 15 pick.

A lot of the top teams have either hit on a mid/late round pick, or had an awful season where they picked up a high level player in the top 15.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
We don't get top15 picks, 'cus our team is one big piece away from beeing real Stanley Cup contender team. What we or let say Army should had to done was sell guy likes Oshie and Shattenkirk for 1st round picks. Not Copley, Brouwer, Sandford bs.

Next expendable piece will be Berglund, but can we get any return of him, at least 1st or two 2nd's?

I think next in line who could become expendable is Allen, Husso will replace his spot in 2-years, but I doubt there is anything major return of Allen? Max 2nd round pick?

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
We don't get top15 picks, 'cus our team is one big piece away from beeing real Stanley Cup contender team. What we or let say Army should had to done was sell guy likes Oshie and Shattenkirk for 1st round picks. Not Copley, Brouwer, Sandford bs.

Next expendable piece will be Berglund, but can we get any return of him, at least 1st or two 2nd's?

I think next in line who could become expendable is Allen, Husso will replace his spot in 2-years, but I doubt there is anything major return of Allen? Max 2nd round pick?
What if I told you the Blues got a 1st round pick in the Shattenkirk deal?

shpongle falls

Ass Möde
Oct 1, 2014
The Night Train

Haha I feel ya dude! I'm super pumped for our prospects this year and for training camp to start. This is the most excited I've been for a new season to start in a long time.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Haha I feel ya dude! I'm super pumped for our prospects this year and for training camp to start. This is the most excited I've been for a new season to start in a long time.
Same here. First time in a while I think the team is truly on the upswing.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
I am at the practice right now. I will post some full thoughts when I return home.

Until then some quick thoughts.
Thomas is stud.
Kostins timing is still a bit off.
Helt is really impressing me today.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
These games are particularly scheduled such that I won't be able to watch most of them. Frustrating. I'll have to rely on you guys

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
Ok to put down some more detailed thoughts. I enjoyed watching this much more than the prospects camp because this was more game drill based and less of a talent showcase.

Thomas was the best player out there today. Yes, better than Walman. Every time I see this kid he just seems better and better to me. His ability to skate into traffic, head up all the way and find a seam to hit a teammate with beaut saucer passes is something special. I don't think this kid will ever score 30 goals but he might finally be the true playmaker we have long been looking for.

Thompson. People might remember my prospects camp review, where I tore into him a little bit for being "too perimeter." Well today was the opposite. He was attacking the middle of the ice and using his body well during board play. Complete 180 from how he played in prospect camp. Really glad to see this from him.

Kyrou and Walman were right up there with the best in the practice. It was more of the same from them. They shined in nearly every drill. Walman did have my highlight of the practice though. On a drill where the puck was sent across the ice at center ice with two players going after and battling for it. One would come out and charge the net with the other defending on his side/back. Walman was defending on the drill and right as Vannelli went to shoot he lifted his stick and stole the puck skating down to the other end on a breakaway. The steal was nice but the smirk and quick little "hahaha" Walman gave Vannelli as he skated away was ****ing hilarious.:laugh:

Speaking of Vannelli, I see no NHL future for this kid. He just look flat out bad at times out there. Handling the puck like a grenade and messing up defensive drills time and time again.

As I said earlier Kostin seemed just a little off. I think missing all that time has his timing off just a bit. You could see the skill there for sure but he would hold onto the puck just a little to long at times while looking for the right play.

Toropchenko is a player that I am going to continue to be high on. A guy that big shouldn't be able to skate that well. He also plays like a bull in a china shop which is very appealing. The one downside is his stickhandling was a bit poor today. He lost the puck during a couple of different drills.

Mikkola is a workhorse. I think this kid has an NHL future. He is a guy who will make up a lack of skill with sheer willpower.

The biggest surprise reward belongs to Filip Helt. I am not sure if he just ate his Wheaties this morning but holy **** was this kid everywhere. He was in on every drill, playing with an edge and determination that dwarfed just about everyone else on the ice. This kid was out to be noticed today and he certainly drew a considerable amount of attention, especially when you take into account some of the prospects he was out there with today.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Ok to put down some more detailed thoughts. I enjoyed watching this much more than the prospects camp because this was more game drill based and less of a talent showcase.

Thomas was the best player out there today. Yes, better than Walman. Every time I see this kid he just seems better and better to me. His ability to skate into traffic, head up all the way and find a seam to hit a teammate with beaut saucer passes is something special. I don't think this kid will ever score 30 goals but he might finally be the true playmaker we have long been looking for.

Thompson. People might remember my prospects camp review, where I tore into him a little bit for being "too perimeter." Well today was the opposite. He was attacking the middle of the ice and using his body well during board play. Complete 180 from how he played in prospect camp. Really glad to see this from him.

Kyrou and Walman were right up there with the best in the practice. It was more of the same from them. They shined in nearly every drill. Walman did have my highlight of the practice though. On a drill where the puck was sent across the ice at center ice with two players going after and battling for it. One would come out and charge the net with the other defending on his side/back. Walman was defending on the drill and right as Vannelli went to shoot he lifted his stick and stole the puck skating down to the other end on a breakaway. The steal was nice but the smirk and quick little "hahaha" Walman gave Vannelli as he skated away was ****ing hilarious.:laugh:

Speaking of Vannelli, I see no NHL future for this kid. He just look flat out bad at times out there. Handling the puck like a grenade and messing up defensive drills time and time again.

As I said earlier Kostin seemed just a little off. I think missing all that time has his timing off just a bit. You could see the skill there for sure but he would hold onto the puck just a little to long at times while looking for the right play.

Toropchenko is a player that I am going to continue to be high on. A guy that big shouldn't be able to skate that well. He also plays like a bull in a china shop which is very appealing. The one downside is his stickhandling was a bit poor today. He lost the puck during a couple of different drills.

Mikkola is a workhorse. I think this kid has an NHL future. He is a guy who will make up a lack of skill with sheer willpower.

The biggest surprise reward belongs to Filip Helt. I am not sure if he just ate his Wheaties this morning but holy **** was this kid everywhere. He was in on every drill, playing with an edge and determination that dwarfed just about everyone else on the ice. This kid was out to be noticed today and he certainly drew a considerable amount of attention, especially when you take into account some of the prospects he was out there with today.

Thanks for the updates! Very cool to read, ugh, hockey is almost here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad