2017-2018 Blues Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Ranking the top 10 NHL prospect pipelines

can't read the article - but, WE'RE NUMBER ONE!

???

/Espn :facepalm:
I don't think it is crazy to suggest that the Blues have the best prospect pool in the League. I'm also not familiar enough with the prospect pools of the teams around the League to say where we should rank, other than we must be one of the best.

He sees Kyrou and Thomas as elite prospects, that we have "higher-end players with big upside" behind those two, "nice contributions" from Blais and Husso "making a strong case for being the Blues' goalie of the future". He also notes that Walman has had his struggles this season, but that he is still a quality prospect.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
I don't think it is crazy to suggest that the Blues have the best prospect pool in the League. I'm also not familiar enough with the prospect pools of the teams around the League to say where we should rank, other than we must be one of the best.

He sees Kyrou and Thomas as elite prospects, that we have "higher-end players with big upside" behind those two, "nice contributions" from Blais and Husso "making a strong case for being the Blues' goalie of the future".
I think The Blues' prospect pool should be ranked about 10-13th out of the 31 teams. That's not bad, but a far cry from 1st.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
I'm curious, which team's prospect pools would folks rank above the Blues'?

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
I got the following teams ahead of the Blues:

Philly
Arizona
Tampa
Carolina

I have Vancouver and Blues tied now that Brock Boeser is an NHL'er and not a prospect anymore.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
We are definitely top 10 and I’d venture to top 5. It’s criminal to say we are lower than top 10.
Maybe I was just using hyperbole, and forgetting that we added Foley and several other teams had players graduate during this season. Maybe 6th to 8th might be a better estimate. Don't forget that fans always OVERRATE their OWN prospects, and have less knowledge of those of the other teams, as they get to see them far less often, and have mostly stats and highlights to go on, and much less game film.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
Hamilton rests Robert Thomas today. So he will finish the regular with 49 GP 24G, 51A, 75 Total Points, 1.53P/Game

Sarnia is also resting Jordan, he finishes up the season with 56 GP 39G, 70A, 109 Total Points, 1.95P/Game

Alexey Toropchecko finishes his first season in the OHL with 66GP 17G, 22A, 39 Total Points. I only watched like 3 Guelph games, but I like his speed. He could end up being a steal at 4th round.

Last edited:
Reactions: RoarBacon

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I got the following teams ahead of the Blues:

Philly
Arizona
Tampa
Carolina

I have Vancouver and Blues tied now that Brock Boeser is an NHL'er and not a prospect anymore.
Arizona depends on your opinion of Strome I think. Most of their other top guys seem to be up in NHL

I would have had Tampa ahead of us before trade deadline, but we added Foley and they dealt 2 really good prospects (which is also why I gave Rags props, along with the 2 guys they picked this year).

Carolina I could maybe see ahead of us.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
I've loved the Blues prospect system even before the 2016 draft, but being number 1 is ridiculous to me.

LetsGoBooze

Buium or bust
Jan 16, 2012
If we had one more true Blue chip prospect on top of what we have already i could see us being #1, but as it stands now, i would say top 5-6ish in the league.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
Arizona depends on your opinion of Strome I think. Most of their other top guys seem to be up in NHL

I would have had Tampa ahead of us before trade deadline, but we added Foley and they dealt 2 really good prospects (which is also why I gave Rags props, along with the 2 guys they picked this year).

Carolina I could maybe see ahead of us.

I guess Carolina for you is kind of how Arizona is for me. I got zero problems with players baking in the AHL, I honestly think it is underrated. So I guess time will tell for the Yotes and Canes. Even Tampa losing Howden and Hajek, I still think they are really deep. Plus they always find some undrafted gems that are will pop up in the next year or 2.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Kaspick, who played less than half of the season for Victoria and was the captain of another team (Brandon) before getting traded there, won the Royals’ Most Dedicated Player award. That team looooves Kaspick, just gushes about him. Idk if he’ll ever make it to the big show, but it won’t be “character” or “compete” that holds him back. If nothing else, he seems like the kind of guy you want mentoring your other prospects in the AHL. I’m excited to see what happens with his career

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Kaspick, who played less than half of the season for Victoria and was the captain of another team (Brandon) before getting traded there, won the Royals’ Most Dedicated Player award. That team looooves Kaspick, just gushes about him. Idk if he’ll ever make it to the big show, but it won’t be “character” or “compete” that holds him back. If nothing else, he seems like the kind of guy you want mentoring your other prospects in the AHL. I’m excited to see what happens with his career

It would be great if Kaspick could make it as a later round pick. I haven’t seen a ton of him but what I have seen the past 2 years, I question if he has enough to make it as a bottom-6 NHLer. He does bring a lot of compete and is a fan favorite but so was Ryan Tesink back when he played Jrs. He’ll need to find a good niche to make himself a useful NHLer. Still, I’ll be interested to see how Kaspick looks as a pro next season as I would think the Blues would sign him this summer before the June 1st deadline.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Trent Bourque finished his junior career without a goal to his name, but had a bit of an interesting season. At face value, 17 assists in 62 games is good for .27 points per game (PPG), or just over a point every 4 games. But just looking at the last 9 weeks of his season, he was almost a completely different player from the first 18 weeks. In the first 2/3rds of his season, he played 35 games and had 1 point. So in the final 27 games, he had 16 assists, good for .59 PPG. That’s a pretty crazy turn around.

He doesn’t have a contract with us yet, and I would probably still rather give that spot to somebody else, but I guess we’ll see what happens. You can’t say he didn’t finish strong.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Trent Bourque finished his junior career without a goal to his name, but had a bit of an interesting season. At face value, 17 assists in 62 games is good for .27 points per game (PPG), or just over a point every 4 games. But just looking at the last 9 weeks of his season, he was almost a completely different player from the first 18 weeks. In the first 2/3rds of his season, he played 35 games and had 1 point. So in the final 27 games, he had 16 assists, good for .59 PPG. That’s a pretty crazy turn around.

He doesn’t have a contract with us yet, and I would probably still rather give that spot to somebody else, but I guess we’ll see what happens. You can’t say he didn’t finish strong.

never scored a goal?
too bad he's not a forward. would've fit nicely next to Sunqvist & Jaskin.

Weiss1604

Mar 27, 2017
Wales
Don't forget that fans always OVERRATE their OWN prospects.
Totally agree but some fans go the other way as some of our fans are doing with Kyrou . He is a top 10 prospect in the world ( maybe higher ) & its indisputable but for some bizarre reason he's criminally underrated . If he was a leaf/Canadien etc he'd be the 2nd coming of Jesus Christ . Let the youth movement commence & i for one cannot wait to see these kids embedded in our core .

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
Tonight starts the CHL playoffs.
OHL
Hamilton plays tonight.
Sarnia starts tomorrow night.

QMJHL
Val-d’or plays tonight
Acadie starts tomorrow night

WHL
Victoria starts tomorrow night