2017-2018 Blues Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Cool, whatever. I guess I just have a more conservative philosophy than most when it comes to asset management. I really dislike trading 1st round picks, for any reason.

Reactions: carter333167

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Cool, whatever. I guess I just have a more conservative philosophy than most when it comes to asset management. I really dislike trading 1st round picks, for any reason.
There's nothing wrong with that. Just saying Armstrong already tried to use it in getting Hoffman

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
Eric Foley was named to Hock East 1st Team All stars.

Nolan Stevens named to Hockey East 2nd Team All Star.

Northeastern and Providence plays against each other this weekend in Hockey East Semifinals.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
I would hope both Foley and Stevens could be enough of contributors to be at least 3rd liners.

The nice thing about Foley is he's a great candidate to break in to the league on our 4th line due to his motor, speed and willingness to forecheck hard. Really, really liking that acquisition as opposed to Sanford who I never found to be all that impressive.

Reactions: ezcreepin

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
The nice thing about Foley is he's a great candidate to break in to the league on our 4th line due to his motor, speed and willingness to forecheck hard. Really, really liking that acquisition as opposed to Sanford who I never found to be all that impressive.
I don't want people to think I'm the kind of person who is "Top 6/9 or bust," I'm just hoping that both Foley and Stevens can transition their current game to the NHL and be 50% as effective as they are in college. Having 2 players like them, scoring 35-40 points while also be tenacious would be perfect for this team considering how sub-par the 3rd line, and at times, the 4th line is. I really hope Musil impresses in training camp, as well as resigning Brodz to help him learn the role in the NHL (Plus he's been so great this year).

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
I would hope both Foley and Stevens could be enough of contributors to be at least 3rd liners.

True, but I think having just 2 of those 3 become NHL players in two years would be considered a success. It would be awesome of they could be 35-40 point players, but IMO that's asking a lot, and each would be reaching their NHL potential if they hit those numbers. I think it's more realistic to expect them to play on the 4th line in two years, and a good thing about their games is that each appears to have the tools to do that (ie, they're not top 6 or bust players), and that is a huge advantage.

Just assuming no acquisitions/trades, Stevens (I think he play some RW?) would have to beat out Kyrou/Thompson/Kostin to be a top 9 player, and Soshnikov is looking to be a decent 3rd/4th line option at this point, and Jaskin is still in the mix - so it could be Stevens vs. Soshnikov vs. Jaskin for 4th line duties. On LW, it's arguably tougher - Foley would have to beat out Fabbri (yes, big question mark) for top 6 duties, and Steen for top 9 (perhaps Steen might be gone in 2 years via trade). Then there's Berglund (I think he gets shipped out, but who knows) who can also play LW. Sanford is still in the mix (although he 's still a big question mark), and Barbashev can also play LW.

I don't think Musil has the offensive potential to be more than a 4th line player, but I agree with you on Brodziak - would re-sign him for an additional 1-2 years; the value he brings as a 4th line center is outstanding.

Of course, it's likely that not all of the above prospects will make the NHL, even our "big 4," but it goes to show that Foley/Stevens have a lot of competition for top 9 duties, but IMO not a whole lot of competition for 4th line duties (Soshnikov/Jaskin are their biggest competitors, IMO).

Reactions: ezcreepin

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
The average NHL forward scores around 20-25 points, so, adjust your expectations of what constitutes a 3rd line player accordingly
Last season the statistical "third line forward" would have been in the 25-35 point range over a full 82 games.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
with the amount of talent we have ready in 18-19/19-20 there is no reason for Jaskin to still be here.

I wouldn't mind Jaskin in a 4th line role. I feel like he has carved out a nice role their. I have been very outspoken that I think Thomas/Kyrou could be ready as early as next year. However, I do think bulk of our prospects who can/will fill out our bottom six are still 2-3 years away. A guy like Foley might be ready.

I would like to see this as our lineup next year.

Fabbri - Stastny/Tavares - Tarasenko
Schwartz - Schenn - Kyrou
Steen - Thomas - Barbashev/Thompson
Jaskin - Brodziak - Soshnikov

Reactions: tfriede2

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
with the amount of talent we have ready in 18-19/19-20 there is no reason for Jaskin to still be here.
Jaškin is a fourth liner and paid accordingly, and he is fine in that role. He also doesn't hurt the team when he has to move up the lineup during the game. The entire issue with Jaškin is putting him in the top-9 and expecting him to produce like a top-9 player, and that is on out roster this year.

There is no reason that he shouldn't be back next season.

Zamadoo

Hail to the CHIEF
Apr 4, 2013
I've liked Brodz and would also like to re-sign him. I just wonder if he wouldn't look for and get a bigger/longer contract elsewhere. If he maintains his play on the 2nd line and we make it past the 1st round of the playoffs (or even just make the playoffs), I could see him getting $2-2.5mil on a 2-3 year deal to play 3rd line C somewhere.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
I've liked Brodz and would also like to re-sign him. I just wonder if he wouldn't look for and get a bigger/longer contract elsewhere. If he maintains his play on the 2nd line and we make it past the 1st round of the playoffs (or even just make the playoffs), I could see him getting $2-2.5mil on a 2-3 year deal to play 3rd line C somewhere.
As long as that team isn't the Blues, I wish him well.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
Brodziak’s last big contract 3 years/2.83 mil per ended in 2015. After playing awesome on his 1 year $900K prove it contract, his last real chance for a big contract was in 2016. Instead he saw his value and took a team friendly contract. Kyle is gonna be 34 this summer, he is getting into the territory of 1 year deals or 2 years around what he is currently making.

I just hope he sticks around STL after retiring, he’s another guy I think took have a new career in the front office or as a coach.

Reactions: Blueston

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
True, but I think having just 2 of those 3 become NHL players in two years would be considered a success. It would be awesome of they could be 35-40 point players, but IMO that's asking a lot, and each would be reaching their NHL potential if they hit those numbers. I think it's more realistic to expect them to play on the 4th line in two years, and a good thing about their games is that each appears to have the tools to do that (ie, they're not top 6 or bust players), and that is a huge advantage.

Just assuming no acquisitions/trades, Stevens (I think he play some RW?) would have to beat out Kyrou/Thompson/Kostin to be a top 9 player, and Soshnikov is looking to be a decent 3rd/4th line option at this point, and Jaskin is still in the mix - so it could be Stevens vs. Soshnikov vs. Jaskin for 4th line duties. On LW, it's arguably tougher - Foley would have to beat out Fabbri (yes, big question mark) for top 6 duties, and Steen for top 9 (perhaps Steen might be gone in 2 years via trade). Then there's Berglund (I think he gets shipped out, but who knows) who can also play LW. Sanford is still in the mix (although he 's still a big question mark), and Barbashev can also play LW.

I don't think Musil has the offensive potential to be more than a 4th line player, but I agree with you on Brodziak - would re-sign him for an additional 1-2 years; the value he brings as a 4th line center is outstanding.

Of course, it's likely that not all of the above prospects will make the NHL, even our "big 4," but it goes to show that Foley/Stevens have a lot of competition for top 9 duties, but IMO not a whole lot of competition for 4th line duties (Soshnikov/Jaskin are their biggest competitors, IMO).
I got you, more like an atypical 4th line of sorts; being able to bring speed and energy while having a nice scoring touch. I'm always too hopeful when it comes to prospects, but these guys look pretty legit in terms of good quality bottom 6 depth. Hopefully they can just be 4th liners, because counting on them being top 9 players is a recipe for disaster (going back on what I said). To recap, hope = at least 3rd liners, happy with = 4th liners

Novacain

Feb 24, 2012
I'll be the outside speaker and say I'm willing to go up to 2 mill a season on one year for Brodziak. Not sure how much better you can do with a 4th line center, and we don't have any real good home grown options to fit that role.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
I'll be the outside speaker and say I'm willing to go up to 2 mill a season on one year for Brodziak. Not sure how much better you can do with a 4th line center, and we don't have any real good home grown options to fit that role.
There's absolutely nothing wrong with Brodziak on a one year deal as the 4th line center.

A team handing him a multi-year deal to be their 3rd line center is something else entirely.

Reactions: Blueston

Zamadoo

Hail to the CHIEF
Apr 4, 2013

I'd love to keep him around, and up to $2mil could be ok. I'm just weary of spending an extra $1mil on a 4th line forward that might be needed elsewhere. I'm a Tavares hopeful, so that has something to do with it. Either way, the Blues will be looking to add a veteran top 6 forward who will be expensive.

In attempt to keep this prospect related in the prospects thread, I'd like to mention that Sundqvist, Barbashev, Thompson (if the org. still views him as a C), Sanford, Thomas, Musil, Stevens, and Bleakley (longshot) could all be internal options. I don't think any of them would be as good as Brodz in the role, but those guys will nee to get a shot somewhere at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad